MakeWebGames

MakeWebGames is back, 2019 edition

Dave

It's been a very very long time since MWG was online, however I'm excited to announce we're back. For good! The demise of MWG was originally down to an attack on the McCodes server MWG was hosted on. There was then sadly no drive to get it back online, until recently.

I'm sure there are a few questions that I hope to address in this post.

Ownership

I, Dave Macaulay, own the majority of MakeWebGames (including source code, database, domain etc) whilst McCodes (Kunal and Dabomstew) retain a small portion owned by the McCodes company itself.

This allows me to have full control over the forums, direction and leadership. 

New Domain: makewebgames.io

We've moved from the original makewebgames.com domain over to our new makewebgames.io domain. This is partly due to someone forgetting to renew the domain before it expired, thanks Kunal!

New Software

We've ditched the horrendous vBulletin 5 and migrated to IPS (or IPB depending on how old you are). I hope this shows my commitment to reviving the forum as those licences aren't cheap.

We've ensured to migrate all existing member accounts and content from the legacy instance over, so all the great content you posted when you were younger is retained for you to laugh at.

McCodes & MWG

As with the above you have probably assumed that we will retain some ties with McCodes, it was the most popular game engine on this forum and it's the topic with the most posts.

Staff

If activity on the forum picks up I will be looking to recruit staff members to help run and manage the forum on a day to day basis.

Spam

When MWG was last live there was a huge spam problem, we were being barraged by spam on a day to day basis and it was a real challenge for the moderation team to keep under control. Luckily the new forum software should enable us to stay spam free for the foreseeable future.

If you have any further questions please respond to this post and I'll be glad to answer them!

Welcome back.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Dave said:

Skype is a distant memory of mine! Glad to hear it, thanks for spreading the word.

MWG's a not-so-guilty pleasure of mine, has been for years. Disheartened when it died. Elated now it's back.
So, from me to MWG and all its miscreants inhabitants: Welcome the f*** back! :D

Edited by Magictallguy

5 minutes ago, Magictallguy said:

MWG's a not-so-guilty pleasure of mine, has been for years. Disheartened when it died. Elated now it's back.
So, from me to MWG and all its miscreants inhabitants: Welcome the f*** back! ?

Pahaha yeah I used to burn hours on this forum, it's back and it's here to stay.

• Like 1

I'm really happy you're back, I can remember back then when I signed up on this forum in 2015, I wanted to create a web game so bad  but due to lack of coding knowledge I couldn't participate much but over the years I have learnt web development and now I've created a couple of apps and have up to 4 webs in productions now.

Now that you're back I will fire up my engine to create a web-based game now and help others with PHP related issues.

Once I've settled ill drop my idea in the Ideas thread.

• Like 2

Just now, electrode said:

I'm really happy you're back, I can remember back then when I signed up on this forum in 2015, I wanted to create a web game so bad  but due to lack of coding knowledge I couldn't participate much but over the years I have learnt web development and now I've created a couple of apps and have up to 4 webs in productions now.

Now that you're back I will fire up my engine to create a web-based game now and help others with PHP related issues.

Once I've settled ill drop my idea in the Ideas thread.

That's amazing! Glad you're back, if you had an old account we can certainly merge the accounts / recover your old one.

Just now, max3009 said:

Welcome back,

Joined in 2013, I did a lot of searching on the site but never posted anything.

Now that I am creating a web game, I will be certainly checking this out daily.

Good job!

Max

Welcome to the community, feel free to post anything. I'll ensure the toxic attitude from before is not repeated.

• Like 1

Damn I signed up to here on my original account in 2007 (forgot password and didn't use the email anymore so made this account and never really used it). 

Me and my friend would skip school and work on our game all day... and fast forward 12 years and i'm working in Taiwan writing software and traveling all over the world, currently writing this from a beach in Thailand. 

Thanks to this forum for getting me into learning to code!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wrux said:

Damn I signed up to here on my original account in 2007 (forgot password and didn't use the email anymore so made this account and never really used it). 

Me and my friend would skip school and work on our game all day... and fast forward 12 years and i'm working in Taiwan writing software and traveling all over the world, currently writing this from a beach in Thailand. 

Thanks to this forum for getting me into learning to code!

If you know your old account information, at least some of it I can go ahead and merge that account into your new one. Let me know through PM.

Jealous that you’re in Thailand! What do you do to get to travel so much?