-
Posts
2,150 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
153
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Everything posted by Magictallguy
-
Google is far too kind to me ahaha
-
Ok, you've started something. I asked the same. The past tense stings a little hahaha As Magictallguy, Orsokuma has been a highly active figure in the text-based browser gaming community, particularly on platforms like MakeWebGames. His contributions primarily center around maintaining, modernizing, and open-sourcing classic Persistent Browser-Based Game (PBBG) engines. [1, 2, 3] Core Engine Contributions GRPG (Generic RPG): One of his most well-known contributions to the community is his work on the GRPG V2 Open Source engine. GRPG is a classic text-based RPG framework. He modernized the repository by transitioning the database layer to PDO (PHP Data Objects) for better security, adding Docker configurations, and stripping out heavy dependencies to make it easier for indie developers to host and launch their own text-based RPGs. [1] McCodes Modding and Maintenance: Historically, the MakeWebGames community heavily revolved around engines like McCodes (v1 and v2). Under his Magictallguy alias, he frequently provided community support, bug fixes, PDO conversions, and security refactoring to help developer-hobbyists keep these legacy, vulnerable PHP game frameworks secure and operational. [1, 2] Custom Text-Based Projects: Beyond public engines, he frequently operates as a developer for hire within the PBBG space, helping web-based game admins refactor their custom codebases, fix database bottlenecks, and mitigate security threats. [1] While his current focus has shifted heavily toward Twitch security utilities like KumaBot Defender, his legacy on developer forums like MakeWebGames remains rooted in keeping the niche world of text-based, browser-driven RPGs alive through code modernization. [1, 2]
-
With 0 information given about the hosting details in almost a month, I'd like you all to know that I'm giving away free sanity marbles .. when I find them
-
14 years later. Hell yeah! 😄
-
"I would like to create a browser-based text RPG, using PHP and MySQL as the backend. It must have these features [describe them]" That depends on where you're using it. If you're using a browser version, chances are you'll be copy/pasting. If you're using a plugin with your editor (Junie for JetBrains, for example, or a Claude API extension in VSCode), then you can instruct it - after granting permissions - to add/edit/delete files at will Yes. Migration shims have existed for years. No public-facing AI is generative (even if it claims to be) as they're fed source material and "create" from that. Everything is regurgitated without context. So, with that in mind, the existence of a shim being publicly available (Git), and the simple ability to read, an AI could update PHP5 to PHP8 practices. Be sure to specify which version of PHP8. For example; 8.3 introduces a number of breaking changes to code that would otherwise be fine in PHP8.2 (current latest is 8.5.8 and I loooooooove the deprecations - can do so much more with so much less now! Let it be known that I bloody well hate AI and the ego a number of self-entitled "developers" (vibe coders) seem to pack with it. Studies by MIT have shown that those who depend on AI incur up to a 47% drop in connectivity and engagement, combined with a 32-ish% decrease in critical thinking and short-term memory recollection. I'm not stopping you from using it, nor am I trying to dissuade you. It is a tool like any other and, like any other, it can be misused. All I can advise, strongly, is that you don't let robots think for you
-
For legal reasons, as one of the site administrators; I must state that if you are seeking legal or medical advice, that you seek vetted professionals. This place is for the cause of our mental issues, not dealing with them 😛 Also, for context; here's a newscast from Helpnet Security, posted 5 days ago about a RAT attack that affected Claude users. CVE-2026-7574 and CVE-2026-7596 are just 2 recent entries into the exploit database concerning Claude. Final note; if we can stop casting unfounded accusations based on correlational data, that'd be awesome, thanks. You posted on MWG, your site was attacked afterwards. If I may make the suggestion; the sudden exposure on a relatively-high traffic website might have attracted a bad actor or two - the norm with most sites that gain traction.
-
That is a genius idea and I love every part of this
-
That rar contains 1 CSS file (comprised mostly of Bootstrap extracts) and 1 AI-generated image. Was that the intended upload?
-
It's a session thing. Try swapping to file-based sessions instead of DB sessions. And I've just realised we've fully hijacked a thread here. Apologies, OP!
-
You'll have to check your server's mail configuration. It appears your host has an ... alternative ... setup to the more commonly-found ones, so the default mail() call might not be enough
-
This is correct and the intended fix. If the .env is invalid or incorrectly generated, it's simply easier to make the site regenerate it after re-filling the form. Seeing as the installer checks to see if the .env file exists to get past that step, deleting an incorrect .env is the way to go - I didn't automate this to prevent a potential race condition which would introduce an endless loop
-
It's a dotfile, so you may need to toggle the "Show hidden files" option in cPanel's File Manager
-
See the .env.local file that ships with gRPG v2. It'll shed some light on what your .env needs to resemble
-
What a weird restriction!
-
Do you have anything like Sentry to automatically report errors to you? Coupled with user reports, such a tool can be invaluable
-
Awwww, hell yeah! Colour me keen. Samsung Galaxy S23 here. I will swear by Android ❤️
-
RSS feed to the forum - notifies me of spambot posts, too 😉 I'm actually somewhat excited to see how this project turns out. Keep up the good work! ^.^
-
Oi! That's lookin' really good!
-
Merry Calendar Change Day!
-
begins chanting Bring back the Marketplace! Bring back the Marketplace! Bring back the Marketplace!
-
You mentioned using phone data while connected to WiFi, so I'm unclear on whether your phone (on just WiFi) has the same result. As soon as you clarify that, we can start throwing (maybe educated?) guesses at the cause
-
MCCODES for 2025 comparing the 2 Contenders
Magictallguy replied to Uridium's topic in General Discussion
The installer has an extra comma in the query's column definitions Find: INSERT INTO `users` (`username`, `login_name`, `userpass`, `level`, `money`, `crystals`, `donatordays`, `user_level`, `energy`, `maxenergy`, `will`, `maxwill`, `brave`, `maxbrave`, `hp`, `maxhp`, `location`, `gender`, `signedup`, `email`, `bankmoney`, `lastip`, `lastip_signup`, `pass_salt`, , `display_pic`, `staffnotes`, `voted`, `user_notepad`) See that random blank column between `pass_salt` and `display_pic`? Remove it INSERT INTO `users` (`username`, `login_name`, `userpass`, `level`, `money`, `crystals`, `donatordays`, `user_level`, `energy`, `maxenergy`, `will`, `maxwill`, `brave`, `maxbrave`, `hp`, `maxhp`, `location`, `gender`, `signedup`, `email`, `bankmoney`, `lastip`, `lastip_signup`, `pass_salt`, `display_pic`, `staffnotes`, `voted`, `user_notepad`) Note: `lib/basic_error_handler.php` has a DEBUG constant. Set it to `true` and you'll see error messages This only applies if the project's directory is not the webroot (you have localhost/upload/{game-files}). The installer "expects" things to be at webroot -
I didn't add any >100 formatting, but that'd be easy enough. Hell, I might even update to use a checkbox for it so users can see the direct value if they need to, or just a "yup, this is guaranteed" output. Go sick 😄