MakeWebGames

The time has come...

SRB

So, I have been thinking a lot lately and I have come to the final conclusion that it is time to leave programming, for the foreseeable future.

Of course, this only means for other people!

The reason?

It all started, really, when I accepted a job for a programming position in Mountsorrel, Leicester (Catalyst UK) and I came to realise that, as a job, I hate programming! Well, moreso, as a 9 to 5.

I ended up leaving that job, for personal reasons and was unemployed for a while, so once again, I turned to programming for my source of income and, I'll be honest, it kept me afloat for a long time, but after almost a year of doing it for other people again, I came to start disliking doing it again because it became a 9 to 5, albeit from the comfort of my own home.

Anyway, I recently got a job at a property conveyance company, which I enjoy as I am at work, around people and have a laugh most days, which leads me to the final point in this.

After a day at work, the last thing I want to do is load up skype etc, to talk to people and be hit with request after request to do yet more work.

Sure, if the pay was good, it would be worth it, but let's be fair here, the majority of game owners want to pay peanuts for the work they need doing, but I am not a monkey and peanuts ain't feeding me anymore!

Not to mention, my work time is my work time, so when I come home, you are potentially being paid for your free time and you have to question:

How much is my free time worth, since it's your time to relax, take it easy and prepare yourself for the next day to come?

My answer is, more than most people offer.

With that in mind, I wrote all this so it's in one place and I can link people to it who ask me to do work.

As a final note, if you need work doing, I will happily suggest a few people who I have worked with over the years and feel they know enough that I'd be willing to suggest them. I will also include a reason or 2 why.

So, here are my suggestions:

Alan

- Me and Alan have been working together for years and I trust his code more than anybody elses, including my own.

- Over the years, Alan has taught me most of what I know and is far more knowledgeable than I probably ever will be.

- He won't be cheap, but let's be fair, real skill deserves real payment.

Sniko

- I like him and he isn't such a tit as some may think.

- He may even work sometimes and his work isn't too bad

- Meh, I made my point: I like him :D

Dave

- He has been around here long enough and has made some decent mods.

- He is also a fairly decent designer, so if you need code and graphics, with a little jQuery thrown in, he may be your man

Dayo

- Has been around a while also and has made some ok mods, but I haven't looked for his mods much, so may have some spankers, but I don't know.

- Also a good designer, so again, may be worth approaching for code and design.

Peter

- Although I don't recall any of his code, I personally like his graphics

- So if you want graphics alone (Haven't seen much code to comment) then he is potentially your man.

You're not on the list?

I don't have all day to write lists! I won't be amending this list either, so the list above is as I plan to keep it.

Final thoughts

- I may still come on here and help now and again

- On the rare occasion the price seems in line with the work, I may accept it, but only if it's 2 hours max to completion

- I may actually write my own game and launch it, but for now, no progress is started, so it won't be soon

- If I do make a game, it will be a game I would love to play myself, so it will not be anything remotely like MC code (And all similar) in regards to gameplay

- I rock, you suck, deal with it

- That

- is

- all

- Thanks for reading, suckers! :D

Edited by Guest

Most people on the forums are wankers, apart from a few.

And by the looks of it you are one of them *sigh*

Right get back on topic if you have problems use the PM system

Shame to see you leave maybe it would be worth you still doing a bit of coding here and there, sometimes its just good to have a break/rest from something if you have been doing it a while. Good luck with your new job

Any person that worked at catalyst will think the same, it's a **** place to say the least. After being in programming commercially for a year, I feel the same way really, as a hobby it's fun and crazy, but then as a job it becomes more of a chore than anything else.

I wish you good luck, and I still need to get you re added on skype ;).

SRB/G/... has long been a pleasant person to work with; his views while perhaps strong have brought a smile to many faces both here and elsewhere, his willingness to help outside of these hallowed (or should that be hollow?) walls speaks well of him both as a person and as a talented programmer; many here would do well to heed his advice and pay more attention to people like him instead of falling headlong into the same old mire that appears to have beset this place.

G: you know where I am - the door is always open (assuming somebody gets around to fixing the comms!)

I have a few people here that I would take advice from strongly and SRB or Guest (whatever) is kne of them. He can be quite strong but generally he is right. Its a shame that we are potentially losing another good programmer but best of luck out there and as Alan said you know where to me for a little chit chat here and there.

I'd just like to point out this line:

- I may still come on here and help now and again

I'll still be floating about and logging in to check what's happening, but I won't reply unless I feel something needs my input... witty or not... so yeah, still here, just lost some voice :)

@Alan... slap Su and get that looked at!

• 2 months later...
I'd just like to point out this line:

I'll still be floating about and logging in to check what's happening, but I won't reply unless I feel something needs my input... witty or not... so yeah, still here, just lost some voice :)

@Alan... slap Su and get that looked at!

Actually... looking at the past... more likely witty! :P

Best of luck Whatever your name will be next if you decide to change... again! :)

• 3 weeks later...

I seen you around :P

I know I am a few months late so what shoot me.

I am very sure you don't know of me and I don't know you but do know of you.

This thread made me tear up a little............

But good luck on your adventure.