MakeWebGames

[SPADE] SPADE Engine is Officially Released!

gamble

SPADE Engine is finally available for purchase on the marketplace!

If you check it out and notice anything missing, any bugs, or anything worth noting please let me know! I am sure i missed something or another, but i tried my best to capture everything!

If you need any help or support (especially during these first couple weeks) please do not hesitate to contact me on here or via DM on discord (Head.Clicker#0238). I will be creating more an more documentation on this forum in order to aid anyone who is struggling!

Mod Developers:

Mod developers! If you are interested in creating mods for SPADE I have a special offer for you! If you purchase SPADE, and develop 3 mods for it and publish them to the marketplace (free or paid, i do not care which), contact me and i will refund the full $50 purchase price as a thank you for the support!

Edited by gamble
  • Like 2

• gamble changed the title to [SPADE] SPADE Engine is Officially Released!
39 minutes ago, CrazyElk said:

Congrats on the release.

I am concerned about the non transferable license, thats a deal breaker for me.

Where is the demo again?

I replied to your comment on it, but I'll state it here publicly too.

The sole purpose of that license notice is to say do not purchase this engine then resell it as your own somewhere else (this is kinda obvious though). I will remove this notice to avoid further confusion. If you make a game or whatever, you can resell that without issues. That is no problem.

Link to demo: spade.makeweb.games

59 minutes ago, Dayo said:

The engine looks good and an interesting project. But the $50 price tag may put off potential game owners. Even releasing GL for free it still took 2 years to gain traction

Yeah, i honestly expect the price tag to put some off. Its a project i believe in though and i will continue to develop whether people purchase it or not. I am going to try and create a stripped version today, and release that for free. 

Thanks for the feedback!

Edited by gamble
  • Like 4

First off @gamblewell done, looks good. Second off for everyone complaining about the price, kindly get over yourself. If you don't value your time and effort that you put into a project that clearly he plans to keep developing on, then no one else will either. If $50 is what gamble feels is fair then that's fine. If you don't wanna buy it, that's also fine. But to tell him that his price is wrong is both stupid and insulting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, peterisgb said:

Some info missing that i would like to know please.
PHP version, 8? 7? Mysqli, PDO?

PHP Version 8 (I believe. Ill double check later - working on an update for it right now).

PDO - If you use the Database class (as is intended) i force prepared statements for the obvious security benefits

Free version now available!

Not sure how well it will work, but all my testing seemed to be good. There is one module that does not have a link anywhere, but i included it for a detail module example. It is the pointsMarket.

Any issues let me know!

Just so everyone is aware. There is some issues with installing on a xampp server. I am packaging up those fixes and hope to have them out soon.

Also I missed some periods in my code so of you're not installing on the root directory, you may need to add a period to the beginning of the src url of the API links on index.html. you will ask need to add a period in front of /API/ in assets/js/API/api.js on line 8.

Like I said I'm working on packing these all up and pushing to marketplace

20 hours ago, Veramys said:

Second off for everyone complaining about the price, kindly get over yourself. If you don't value your time and effort that you put into a project that clearly he plans to keep developing on, then no one else will either.

Don't take what I said about the price as me complaining its too high. Just stating my experience when launching a game engine.

2 hours ago, Sim said:

I noticed I started a course sometime last week. Still says im taking it. Dont know id I still am. As far as i am aware, longest course is 5 days. Being able to see what and how long is left for a course be nice to.

This may be a potential bug...

Ill take a look into this! I also thought i had a way to view time remaining so ill look into that too! Thanks for the notes!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, gamble said:

This may be a potential bug...

Ill take a look into this! I also thought i had a way to view time remaining so ill look into that too! Thanks for the notes!

Dont panic the help you gave me proves you want this venture to work im proud of ya

• Like 1

People, please continue with your opinions. If you think $50 is too expensive, your opinion is as valid as somebody else's who believes it's worth $500.

We, as online netizens, have been complaining about price since things became purchasable online - think back to photoshop in it's pre-subscription model - nobody can say they didn't have an opinion on that extortionate price. Most will probably deny they pirated it, but did.

Note: I say the above for selfish reasons. Conflicts are fun to watch. It's like Gladiators but without the real brutality, but it's fine, I can imagine the gory bits.

32971747.jpg

Edited by SRB
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, SRB said:

People, please continue with your opinions. If you think $50 is too expensive, your opinion is as valid as somebody else's who believes it's worth $500.

We, as online netizens, have been complaining about price since things became purchasable online - think back to photoshop in it's pre-subscription model - nobody can say they didn't have an opinion on that extortionate price. Most will probably deny they pirated it, but did.

Note: I say the above for selfish reasons. Conflicts are fun to watch. It's like Gladiators but without the real brutality, but it's fine, I can imagine the gory bits.

32971747.jpg

i agree too but he already gave the devs a way to get it under a condition that i like to make 3 mods in the market wich is fair athen they get back the initial price of the mod

but i will say this as my opinion the engine need the packages/mod manager/installer and a clean way to create/edit/remove mods with out touching any thing in the core files just like GL is built wich is one of the bigest adventage it have over other mods 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, SRB said:

I'm in complete agreement with @SRB on this .... if you have an opinion then voice it, thats your right even if it flies in the face of another viewpoint. 

I took a peak at the free version and I like the architecture and design, seems to be still simple enough for most people to get a hang of it whilst implementing some newer practices within PHP. Certainly a step above what MCCodes offers.

$50 is inexpensive for something of this nature, if someone is wanting to really launch a game that's a drop in the ocean compared to the level of effort and work required to create a unique, profitable experience. However, people coming into this industry for the first time may struggle to fund that type of expense, which is where the free edition can help them break ground.

Looking forward to see how this grows! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 7/15/2023 at 2:24 AM, Dustin Rohel said:

any info on how to install this engine? (Free Version)

It should be as easy as going to your domain /api/core.php/engine/install

As a side note I have lowered the price on the paid version, a MAJOR update and version 2 will be coming out soonish. Still finalizing how I want some things to be done, but I'll also be releasing a game along side it to show some potential. I know the demo site is down, but I'll get one up again soon!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Seridam said:

What will be included in version 2 that is not in version 1?

A lot. 

To name a couple:

-Easier to install mods

-Updated database structure to be a lot more versatile ESPECIALLY with item use functionality

-Updated User class with a ton of helper functions so things can be changed in an instant. For example $user->addExperience() will be added which will update the database. Having it split out like this will allow for easier things to be implemented like double experience

-Updated files to allow for use with higher php versions...I made the foolish mistake of assuming the host I was using was the newest php version, but unfortunately it was only php 7

Many many many more. In addition to this I'm also recreating Torn using the engine just to prove out and test complex functionality (it's easier for me to copy an idea than to create a whole new idea in order to test things). So modules will be available upon release of v2. Things like gangs, jobs, education, cooldowns, bank, etc etc

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Seridam said:

Sounds great and I look forward to it. Do you have an ETA of when you're planning on releasing it (the version 2 engine)? I was thinking about buying the V1 but I think I should wait now.

It'll all be released under the same market listing so it won't matter too much. So if you were to buy v1 you will get v2 also 🙂 you'll just have to redownload from the marketplace. 

I don't have an expected release date. It just depends on my free time. The game will be released before the engine so that people can see what it all has and see what features people want to keep in the engine.

I seen your comment on the free version of the engine. All it has stripped is things like awards and some other in game features. Nothing core wise so it's still a good way to see if you like the style of development 

• Like 2