MakeWebGames

Coronavirus Impact

Dave

If you've been awake for the past few weeks you'd have seen the global pandemic called coronavirus and have probably been effected by it. I'm interested to hear how it's effected / effecting your life.

My company Adobe closed most of our offices and we're all working from home, I've been self isolating for 10 days inside my apartment. According to the news Austin, TX (where I live) will go into some form of lockdown tomorrow. I've got enough food for a few weeks so I feel fairly safe in my situation. 

• Sad 1

Freelance dev here.
The majority of my clients have been financially hit by COVID which has had a domino-effect on my responsibilities. Hell, it took our government long enough to declare lockdown (almost 5 hours from writing this), let alone reduce the cost of living, so it's been a struggle.

My work shut down for the most part but we are in the exclusion list because we are a medical device company. Most of our “Non-essential” operations personnel (people in manufacturing) are working from home and about 26/30 operators we gave them PTO. I am currently business as usual though since I am in charge of the 4 people that are on site lol

13 hours ago, MNG said:

So far the military is still working but a lot of our facilities are being monitored and not allowing more than 5 people. I'm in El Paso, Texas haven't heard of any lock down yet.

You're not that far from me! I think it's more of a regional thing at the moment but I'm sure the military will have different things imposed as the country needs your help.

12 hours ago, Magictallguy said:

Freelance dev here.
The majority of my clients have been financially hit by COVID which has had a domino-effect on my responsibilities. Hell, it took our government long enough to declare lockdown (almost 5 hours from writing this), let alone reduce the cost of living, so it's been a struggle.

Well I'm glad I could throw some work your way! Let's keep working together.

11 hours ago, KyleMassacre said:

My work shut down for the most part but we are in the exclusion list because we are a medical device company. Most of our “Non-essential” operations personnel (people in manufacturing) are working from home and about 26/30 operators we gave them PTO. I am currently business as usual though since I am in charge of the 4 people that are on site lol

Oh damn, you still going into the office then? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave said:

You're not that far from me! I think it's more of a regional thing at the moment but I'm sure the military will have different things imposed as the country needs your help.

Update, lol I just been approve to “work” from home. 

• Like 1

Totally crazy where i am Midlands, UK. Took the government too long to declare a lock down and getting worse by the day to get items from shops as the bulk buying was crazy before they put restrictions in place so basic items like toilet roll, milk, eggs and meat is like gold dust soon will be currency LOL. Working status i'm one of the lucky ones that get to work from home so impact wont be anywhere near what others have to face with job losses. I think after COVID the country is going to be a lot worse as the government/businesses will want to recoup money they are spending/losing right now so cost of living is going to go way up which is the part i'm not looking forward to.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Dave said:

Yep!! We probably only have like 16 people on site though so it’s not bad

I'm based in the UK - we're in lockdown as some other commentors have said. My life not so much impacted as others as I work from home as default - though it's odd to see all the new restrictions. I am worried about the social and economic hits we will take as a planet due to the virus though, with the uncertainty of when/if it will end.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

Month later ( I'll call this a bump ) - Also based in the UK, still in a lockdown. 

In terms of impact, not much in terms of work ( work in the NHS so still going to work everyday ), should this virus not knock me out, the night out following the ease of the lockdown may... 

• Haha 1

We in lock down in Maryland,USA. But I Liv in Baltimore, MD, USA. No one listens to the government here and a long a no one is being violent the government don't do nothing EVER. LoL. Fast food places are open as in we can walk in order and sit down and eat.

• Sad 1

Already know some people personally in their 40s who have been hospitalised and others who I know through family/friends who have died. I suffer from a very mild asthma so I’m kinda scared on the inside but keeping it together, more worried about elderly parents and relatives. Let’s hope we all make it out okay. Stay safe.

Edited by SHAD
  • Like 1

AS far as it concerns to me, i'm almost hitting 2 months (beginning of March) in HO (Home Office) due company recommendation, mandatory from government from 15/3, though the pandemia around here has been dealt with since the beginning. Currently around 7K cases and only 201 deaths as of today. Emergency state declared over a month ago, and it will continue until the end of April, at least. Masks are mandatory, borders are closed, most of the shops are closed, minimal services only working. Just in case you wonder... I'm currently living in CZ, though my native country is Portugal (where covid is hitting quite harder than here, comparing as both countries are pretty much comparable in GDP and population).

And if you want to follow up... https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

• 2 weeks later...

I've been working from home now, which in doing so I have actually gotten more work done than I did at the work office 🙂 Also - with a new home purchase recently, being home all the time has given me the time to do some projects around the house. The only big negative is due to the current lock down (still in lock down here) absolutely everything is being ordered online. My food supplies are only the necessity needed to live, not so much the luxuries that I had before. But in true retrospect, I can't really complain.

~G7470