MakeWebGames

Working on Something

ricki b

1 hour ago, ricki b said:

While the template in the image above talks about a "fantasy crime web browser paid to click game" resolving the paidtoclick dot com URL see's it redirect to talkingcrypto dot io which is all about ummm, crypto.

What am I missing or is this simply a bit of clickbait in order to funnel the punters to the crypto site?

9 hours ago, CrazyElk said:

While the template in the image above talks about a "fantasy crime web browser paid to click game" resolving the paidtoclick dot com URL see's it redirect to talkingcrypto dot io which is all about ummm, crypto.

What am I missing or is this simply a bit of clickbait in order to funnel the punters to the crypto site?

I didn't mention anything about hosting it just yet (maybe I should of been more clearer sorry about that Elk) I want to work on it slowly and find potential partners (funders and developers)

Yeah I should of been more clearer paidtoclick is a domain I have don't know if it's .com - shit someone hacked my email for my namecheap account and rest the recovery email.

this was mainly to showcase my template

10 hours ago, PHPStudent said:

Looks like you spent no more than 10 minutes on that template

I'm using gimp to make the template going to look more in to it i spent about 45 minutes and still working on it.

Since everyone else is sugar coating this, I'll be "that guy".

The "template" sucks ass. No player is going to sign up to anything that looks as shit as that does. You can literally pick a template up for $10 from themeforest.com or something - save your time and buy a layout for your game.

However, If you actually want to learn how to do design work - drop the idea of running a game, as that won't give you the freedom/time to learn.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, SRB said:

The "template" sucks ass. No player is going to sign up to anything that looks as shit as that does. You can literally pick a template up for $10 from themeforest.com or something - save your time and buy a layout for your game.

However, If you actually want to learn how to do design work - drop the idea of running a game, as that won't give you the freedom/time to learn.

Poor Ricki and his template 😆 😛

Edited by PHPStudent

On 7/13/2021 at 12:26 PM, SRB said:

Lol ya beat me to it.

OP, leave gimp DF alone. Try photoshop for 30 days.

This is great advertising for any budding upcoming Web developer looking for abit of help from follow programmers who have way more experience then themselves, not sure why there's a need for everyone to rip this dude to bits tbh yes the design isn't the best but it's by far not the worst that's been posted on here tbh.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, big_mike said:

This is great advertising for any budding upcoming Web developer looking for abit of help from follow programmers who have way more experience then themselves, not sure why there's a need for everyone to rip this dude to bits tbh yes the design isn't the best but it's by far not the worst that's been posted on here tbh.

Bet you're fun at parties.

Let's be honest on 2 fronts though:

1) The advertising doesn't matter. The tumbleweed has more life here than the message form.

2) The design sucks shit. Honestly, what way can that be better expressed? Not like we can say "Hey, move that line a little and thicken the font, and it'll look sleeker", or something. Literally needs deleting, and some graphic tutorials watched.

Sorry if some brutal honesty gets your lacy underwear all twisted up, but this isn't a neopets fluffy group.

Edited by SRB
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, SRB said:

1) The advertising doesn't matter. The tumbleweed has more life here than the message form.

2) The design sucks shit. Honestly, what way can that be better expressed? Not like we can say "Hey, move that line a little and thicken the font, and it'll look sleeker", or something. Literally needs deleting, and some graphic tutorials watched.

Sorry if some brutal honesty gets your lacy underwear all twisted up, but this isn't a neopets fluffy group.

But it is a place where you get to denigrate others at your leisure, that right @SRB? 🙂

Edited by CrazyElk

3 hours ago, SRB said:

There's ways and means to go about it without sounding like a bellend I guess when you first started out you was a professional eh 🤔 and I am quite fun at parties I just don't get off at giving people shit on a forum unlike yourself which seems to be the norm round here recently, we all started somewhere rather then finding out abit of information about if they're new to this etc and giving some pointers everyone went straight in with the smart arse remarks like they was all some kind of wizz when they started to learn, people come to mwg for help and sometime to give back to the community but when people are just damn rude when it's not needed it will just drive people away from here which is clearly not what we need to be doing who would want to come onto a forum post something and then get blasted by some know it all whos never been a learner before (or so they seem to think).

The template, in my opinion isn't great. The colour scheme hurts my eyes and reminds me of baby poop.
Sections are spaced out well enough to set some eye-catching stuff.
I'd say you've got a few concepts in there I like, but not the best of executions.

As for the rest of you; you are welcome to share your opinion about this template on this topic as the OP requested it (a dangerous thing to do on the internet, but ya know..).
At no point was slating each other on the table.
Rein it in, please.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, big_mike said:

There's ways and means to go about it without sounding like a bellend I guess when you first started out you was a professional eh 🤔 and I am quite fun at parties I just don't get off at giving people shit on a forum unlike yourself which seems to be the norm round here recently, we all started somewhere rather then finding out abit of information about if they're new to this etc and giving some pointers everyone went straight in with the smart arse remarks like they was all some kind of wizz when they started to learn, people come to mwg for help and sometime to give back to the community but when people are just damn rude when it's not needed it will just drive people away from here which is clearly not what we need to be doing who would want to come onto a forum post something and then get blasted by some know it all whos never been a learner before (or so they seem to think).

Oh, we are now at the point we call each other derogatory names? I'm fine with the one you want to use, and do not mind if you wish to dig deeper in your insulting name box.

I've been SomeRandomBastard for many years here, now shortened to SRB as the forum made the name format like shit when it was updated. You can also call me a bastard  if you wish, I'm a big boy and don't need to sulk because your twisted panties have you throwing insults around.

Since you questioned where I started, and my story, you can have it:

When I started here in 2005 (as one of the first 300 accounts on the original criminal existence forums), the likes of Cronus, Arson, Silver, etc, would literally berate your work when you posted - and yes, when I started, my code was shit. I was told that a lot too. Did I cry? No, I took it and threw myself at learning, and 12 months later I hacked their games and took their games offline - you know, because "fuck them", right?

I believe it was Cronus who actually called me a bastard for doing it, and then the name SomeRandomBastard was born.

I then spent many years releasing bug fixes for other people's paid mods, for free, because the same people who berated me wouldn't support their own (paid) work. I then took it upon myself to build my own versions of their paid mods and release them for free to disrupt their sales, because once again "fuck them", right?

I still have that folder of mods, and looking back, they suck shit too. That said, it was 16 years ago, so I was probably more focused on alcohol and booty.

Anyway, after the initial years where this place was booming and most people were learning to code, we had a couple years of "Can someone fix this for me", "How do I do X", "I NEED HELP" threads where hardly anybody who signed up actually wanted to (a) pay for experience or (b) spend any time learning ANYTHING themselves. We had a wave of little asshats who wanted spoon feeding. Those years caused a lot of people to leave, or become bored of people putting in ZERO effort - much like this template - and posting for the sake of posting.

I stand by my original post - if he's serious about design, stop focusing on owning a game and load up some tutorials. Nobody here is deluded, if he wants to learn, he can get a cracked version of photoshop from a torrent somewhere. If he wants to own a game, he should focus on code and just buy a cheap ass template, and learn code. There's very few people who are actually good at both code and design, so he needs to pick one.

Yes, I am aware some people are capable of both, but they are few and far between. @Dave being one of the first ones that come to mind.

Moving on: I went in like I was some kind of genius in that field? I outright said I suck at graphics, but even knowing I suck, I would do somewhat better than what was posted here.

Anyway, back to programming as my day job because I am a professional in my field. I look forward to your response, but be aware, I don't value your opinion - I've earned my stripes here and supported more code, and games, over the years when CE/MWG was at it's peak, than any newcomer probably ever will.

12 hours ago, Magictallguy said:

baby poop

Wait, now I understand. I just need to call it baby poop rather than shit, even thought both mean faeces? Sweet. The template is absolute poop.

Edited by SRB
Clarification
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

On 7/19/2021 at 2:35 AM, big_mike said:

That's the problem with people today ... they expect everything to be all fluffy bunnied up. Nope. If something is shit, it's shit. Doesn't matter how you try to soften that fact ... it's shit. For the last 20 years or so, society in general is going soft on everyone. Oh yes, Johnny, you did a beautiful job. It's marvelous. Then Johnny gets out into the big bad world and all of a sudden nothing Johnny does is beautiful or marvelous. The next thing you know Johnny is in a bell tower somewhere, snot running down his nose, crying his eyes out putting a cap into everyone's brain all because no one bothered to explain to Johnny that he needs to work harder, study more or whatever because everything he's done is shit! Not everyone is going to be great at everything. Not everyone is going to good at anything. But they sure as shit aren't going to accomplish a whole lot when they've been told are their lives that they are winners at everything they do. If someone can't take the hard knocks then it's time to seek professional help before they end up as next weeks headline.