MakeWebGames

MWG Closing Down - April 30th 2024

Sadly due to other commitments and the cost, and effort required to up-keep MWG I have decided to shut it down by the end of April 2024. I have attempted to find a new owner with little success.

Logistically there are a few items to tick off which I'll be completing over the following month:

• Ensure all Marketplace money is paid out, and contact users who have not withdrawn in a considerable time. Even once MWG is closed these funds can be requested through email.
  • Inform all MWG Hosting customers of the shut down of the hosting product at the end of the month, and provide any refunds for those who paid for multiple months.
  • Provide refunds for any account credit that has been deposited.

There maybe other items which I'll discover throughout the month.

It's been a really fun ride and I've throughly enjoyed running this community, this forum is how I started my journey and my career. With the growth of Discord amongst other mediums of content MWG has seen dwindling activity over the years. However, our good friends at PBBG: http://pbbg.com run a great site, and Discord for all your browser based game needs.

If you are interested in taking over MWG, I could be interested in selling it off to an interested member. However, I do not have the time to be an active participant moving forward.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 8

After all thous year its hard to say good bye

It was fun to be part of this community, i learned so much from lot of people here

Would love to see the community continue to thrive but i guess nothing lasts

And I guess we didnt generate that much income from fees from market place to help dave out

I was wondering if we can migrate to an open source forum like MyBB to lower the cost of running the community and then we can split the hosting bills between us, instead of losing this part of the internet history to the void

• Like 5

That’s very unfortunate but as a proud member for MWG I am very interested in buying the rights out from you. Please check your DMs in discord. 

Edited by MNG
  • Like 2

Hi all 👋

We're working on a transfer plan now.  MWG has been a partner for pbbg.com for years, so I'm glad to be able to assist.

Specifics are TBD but the forum will stay online for the foreseeable future.  The marketplace and hosting will shut down as planned.

Your patience is appreciated while we work on a smooth transition!

Thank you @Dave for all your work here. 💪

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Was certainly a good ride, I agree with @ags_cs4

We should allow it to run and bring back the marketplace at least. There are purchased products and licenses that may need to be downloaded and screenshotted too.

9 hours ago, ags_cs4 said:

After all thous year its hard to say good bye

It was fun to be part of this community, i learned so much from lot of people here

Would love to see the community continue to thrive but i guess nothing lasts

And I guess we didnt generate that much income from fees from market place to help dave out

I was wondering if we can migrate to an open source forum like MyBB to lower the cost of running the community and then we can split the hosting bills between us, instead of losing this part of the internet history to the void

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Ishraq said:

Was certainly a good ride, I agree with @ags_cs4

We should allow it to run and bring back the marketplace at least. There are purchased products and licenses that may need to be downloaded and screenshotted too.

It could have been a collab with more community members, me and @MNG been wanting to take over the community for a while in some shape or form. Maybe add chris and maybe even kyle, we could grow the community to new fields, but its okay im sure @FoohonPie will do a great job

But we need to do something about the market place and the licencing as some member bought lot of mod from me and I don't want to lose track of who own what as that's something really important to keep

38 minutes ago, ags_cs4 said:

It could have been a collab with more community members, me and @MNG been wanting to take over the community for a while in some shape or form. Maybe add chris and maybe even kyle, we could grow the community to new fields, but its okay im sure @FoohonPie will do a great job

But we need to do something about the market place and the licencing as some member bought lot of mod from me and I don't want to lose track of who own what as that's something really important to keep

Our strong partnership with PBBG, and the similarities in the communities that ran felt like the better solution for this than continuing to run the forum. Sadly the Invision Community software, the Marketplace and the hosting software and servers all had high costs and maintenance requirements. Alongside this Invision actually deprecated the Marketplace software, thus why it's now offline. 

We were unable to keep up to date with the software updates due to the deprecations throughout the forum software, and I sadly do not have the time to migrate the forum away (it's a length process).

@FoohonPie is wanting to preserve and continue the great communities that exist around PBBG's and text based games, and has a very active Discord and great site with PBBG.com. Forums are kind of lame in 2024, and I fully trust and believe in Foohon to do a great job with the community.

See this as an evolution of the community. Depending on Foohon's plans, he could be happy to partner with someone like yourself @ags_cs4 / @MNG and link out to a community ran Marketplace solution. I will warn you the overhead and moderation is lengthy.

• Like 2

Thanks for the update, @Dave. It's understandable now.

Actually i had no idea they deprecated Marketplace software, that will be quiet challenging to find a replacement for it, i guess we can move the gl section to @Dayo engine website if he want ofc

But we will have to code that part from scratch, we can even use gl as base as i already got something close to that on my portfolio website.

17 minutes ago, ags_cs4 said:

Thanks for the update, @Dave. It's understandable now.

Actually i had no idea they deprecated Marketplace software, that will be quiet challenging to find a replacement for it, i guess we can move the gl section to @Dayo engine website if he want ofc

But we will have to code that part from scratch, we can even use gl as base as i already got something close to that on my portfolio website.

There's actually a lot of off the shelf e-commerce solutions which can do this for you, for instance Bagisto (Laravel) and Magento: https://webkul.com/blog/top-5-open-source-marketplace-software/

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ags_cs4 said:

True that might be good too, will wait and see the others what they think

Yep, I think the platform isn't the issue but rather the list of purchases, proof etc is the issue now. Sellers won't know who to give updates too and buyers didn't manage to screenshot their proof or download latest versions etc.

@Dave Is there a way to provide a dump of the forum posts so we can try the lengthy process ourselves? We can try move the posts to an open source forum?

Reason being is there are many topics and posts that hold valuable information that could help everyone in their journey.

• Like 1

The area you are attempting to access is currently offline. Please try again later.

WOW so people that bought files dont get to the end of the month to download and save our files to hard drives. Just shut it down on us like that WOW

42 minutes ago, Albenski253 said:

The area you are attempting to access is currently offline. Please try again later.

WOW so people that bought files dont get to the end of the month to download and save our files to hard drives. Just shut it down on us like that WOW

This was an oversight, we don't intend to restrict you from your purchases. We'll come up with a solution. 

@Albenski253 the marketplace is restored, and I've found a way to disable new purchases (which was the reason I disabled it).

So you're able to download your purchases as required. 

• Like 2

Your efforts to keep it alive till now are much appreciated. I have been with this forum/community since the CE days (as mostly a silent reader) and seeing it go for good would have been great loss.  I am glad the space has found some fresh hands.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, SHAD said:

Your efforts to keep it alive till now are much appreciated. I have been with this forum/community since the CE days (as mostly a silent reader) and seeing it go for good would have been great loss.  I am glad the space has found some fresh hands.

Appreciate the kind words!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mushmellow said:

What if I want to buy a mccode v2 code? Where can I buy it in a near future?

I’m considering options on how to keep Mccode available 😌

On 4/18/2024 at 5:34 AM, Dave said:

I’m considering options on how to keep Mccode available 😌

Does it even really make money from new sales?

I have no mods in a market to monetise this, but if the money from the engine is not that much, at least not enough to motivate you to want to bother, would you not be better off making it open source, potentially?

Since you DO have mods available for sale (unless you removed them from everywhere), it would possibly (since you could direct link from the GH readme) link back to wherever becomes the new mod site home.

Not sure what your financial investment is there, or whether it's even yours to make the call on - figured the free entry to the market may help bring some life to stuff again.

But, what do I know? Just an old man these days.

It's crazy to think I've been around these boards for 18 years. 18. damn. years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1