Jump to content
MakeWebGames

is this engine working?


Elessair
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • 1 month later...

The engine still works with just a couple of fixes depending on your PHP version. I actually just spun up a copy that I had and just had to fix a few things like the engine verification which verifies your license and the engine news section in the admin panel. 
 

The original owner Alain sold off the engine to some dude who just let it die. A few of us have offered to buy it off him for a reasonable price but he refuses. I do have a copy of the free version if you would like to test it out

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, KyleMassacre said:

[...] The original owner Alain sold off the engine to some dude who just let it die. A few of us have offered to buy it off him for a reasonable price but he refuses. [...]

Refuses because your offers are too low or because they don't want to sell it in general?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

The new owner sounds like a asshole, i would post full version privately. Id actually like to take a peak myself. I can't remember what technologies was used on this.

Edit: not sure what law is on dead-projects. URL doesn't load for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Law is simple if a project is dead and nobody is making a proper claim to the project it becomes free to use or open source. Does anyone know how to contact the current owner ? 

I actually still have extreme worlds engine also lol (client & server)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, 2gatz said:

Law is simple if a project is dead and nobody is making a proper claim to the project it becomes free to use or open source. Does anyone know how to contact the current owner ? 

Really not sure about that one, he may still take a claim to the project. The new owner is under no obligation to reply to emails. 

On 3/13/2021 at 4:12 AM, Sim said:

The new owner sounds like a asshole, i would post full version privately. Id actually like to take a peak myself. I can't remember what technologies was used on this.

Edit: not sure what law is on dead-projects. URL doesn't load for me.

Even if he is a asshole it does not make it right for you to break copyright law 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Dayo said:

Really not sure about that one, he may still take a claim to the project. The new owner is under no obligation to reply to emails. 

Even if he is a asshole it does not make it right for you to break copyright law 

You are right he could make a claim but in most case's They never do, It is almost like they just give up and do not look back like XW engine the owner just decided to stop production and never look back 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

None of what you say makes sense and here in the UK copyright lasts for 70 years after author's death. You cant just go around and say "This project hasn't had any updates in a year or two ... its free use now"

Plus the fact that on their website there is a "coming soon" legally they can say it's still under development. 

Quote

Law is simple if a project is dead and nobody is making a proper claim to the project it becomes free to use or open source.

I would love to see the legislation regarding this as everything i know about copyright/licensing will need to be thrown out the window

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/12/2021 at 7:11 PM, Curt said:

nwe_dev.zip

I attached the dev version which I think was the free one ? I have the full version but pretty sure I cant post that one for free 😛

seems it does not work installer.php only saying 

New Worlds Engine for Developer Installer

Also the SQL files are missing tables 

 

it is a shame I would love to mess around with this engine again

1 minute ago, Dayo said:

None of what you say makes sense and here in the UK copyright lasts for 70 years after author's death. You cant just go around and say "This project hasn't had any updates in a year or two ... its free use now"

Plus the fact that on their website there is a "coming soon" legally they can say it's still under development. 

I would love to see the legislation regarding this as everything i know about copyright/licensing will need to be thrown out the window

ahh yes well different country's follows different laws and regulations for instants a game hosted in Russia can own the rights in completely in Russia. But in the US or Canada those laws do not apply. I have actually been involved with a similar situation where a company had a copy of the game and the owner tried to have it removed and when they refused they attempted to sue them. But due to the different laws it could not be done. So with that being said it is more so depending where you live i guess LOL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes your country of residence can prevent you from being sued due to different laws in different countries, the only protection having your server hosted in places like Russia in your example is they will just ignore DMCA notices. But if you are a resident of one of somewhere like UK, USA, Canada etc ... you can still be sued directly for damages/loss of income.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dayo said:

Yes your country of residence can prevent you from being sued due to different laws in different countries, the only protection having your server hosted in places like Russia in your example is they will just ignore DMCA notices. But if you are a resident of one of somewhere like UK, USA, Canada etc ... you can still be sued directly for damages/loss of income.

that is true but in the case I am referring to that also was not allowed.... So maybe mark the engine as use at your own risk if you are using it publicly lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/7/2021 at 7:08 AM, 2gatz said:

anyone know who the owner is or a way to contact them ?

Try domain whois?

Or contact @a_bertrand Who knows if he still lingers around. I would bet his personal site is still online, but i don't remember his URL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...