MakeWebGames

These forums going down the toilet

chicka

I've been a part of these forums for around 4 years. When I first joined, These forums were quite popular. People always posting new mods, people helping others and it was a place people liked to come to because there was always something new and interesting going on..

Now a days MWG has gone straight down the toilet.. You got people posting work that they didn't do, you got more spammers than ever before..

We'll start with a mod Hauntedawg made. Someone posted it as theirs, it was pointed out right away that it was made my HD and Moderators allowed it to go on for 2 days before it was deleted. Sh!t like that should have been deleted as soon as they figured out it wasn't their mod to give away. Thats just once instance.

There are many more instances that I could be arsed to find.

No offense to the moderators here but y'all either not doing a good job at moderating whats going on in these forums or your just not giving a sh!t any more cause no one else does..

• Like 1

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been a part of these forums for around 4 years. When I first joined, These forums were quite popular. People always posting new mods, people helping others and it was a place people liked to come to because there was always something new and interesting going on..

Now a days MWG has gone straight down the toilet.. You got people posting work that they didn't do, you got more spammers than ever before..

We'll start with a mod Hauntedawg made. Someone posted it as theirs, it was pointed out right away that it was made my HD and Moderators allowed it to go on for 2 days before it was deleted. Sh!t like that should have been deleted as soon as they figured out it wasn't their mod to give away. Thats just once instance.

There are many more instances that I could be arsed to find.

No offense to the moderators here but y'all either not doing a good job at moderating whats going on in these forums or your just not giving a sh!t any more cause no one else does..

As a moderator that left that thread going for two days ( and first pointed out the HD resemblance ), the latter of the reasons is pretty much on target.

As a moderator that left that thread going for two days ( and first pointed out the HD resemblance ), the latter of the reasons is pretty much on target.

DJkanna i'm not criticizing you or any other moderators so please don't take this the wrong way. I'm just saying that there is so much useless garbage that happens on these forums that its no longer an attractive site to come to.

I used to come here to learn, check out the interesting mods people were giving away and selling, and when that was happening people were very helpful and it was a GREAT community to learn and grow. Needless to say its not at all what it was..

DJkanna i'm not criticizing you or any other moderators so please don't take this the wrong way. I'm just saying that there is so much useless garbage that happens on these forums that its no longer an attractive site to come to.

I used to come here to learn, check out the interesting mods people were giving away and selling, and when that was happening people were very helpful and it was a GREAT community to learn and grow. Needless to say its not at all what it was..

I agree, the forum is dead for anything by the way of interesting.

Those that try to start something of an interesting debate, helpful topic etc are overshadowed by idiots.

I cannot speak for the other staff members, but me personally just don't care and don't try to invest so much time in the forum anymore, because there's no point.

If someone needs me for something and is not an idiot, has other ways to contact me. ;)

These kinds of thread don't do much to help tho, do they? Instead of complaining about new idiots on the forum try giving constructive criticism. Try making new interesting threads. It's easy to let who you think of as idiots drag you down to their level, but you shouldn't.

These kinds of thread don't do much to help tho, do they? Instead of complaining about new idiots on the forum try giving constructive criticism. Try making new interesting threads. It's easy to let who you think of as idiots drag you down to their level, but you shouldn't.

theres a difference from criticism and constructive criticism most people just talk down i dont think thats what this forum was made for... its to help others not bring them down i laugh at those who complain and moan about the stuff they feel they're too smart to deal with or they feel inadequate about the fact they cant code and they still talk trash. i just read most of the time i dont spend much time trying to post because if i want to do something or get something done i look around at peoples old work and new work and then take that into consideration for hiring them... so for those who do help the forum you should be +1 at all times :D as for the others i am not going to say how i truly feel as it would be redundant

• Like 1

I must sadly say chicka is right... but the decline is old... Anyhow, there isn't much which can be done in my opinion.

Thank you. Yes this is nothing new.

Ever since the site was purchased by Dabs and CB its been declining more and more.. Problem as I see it is if the owners don't care much about their site then moderators don't care. What I think should be done to revive this site would be sell the site to someone that actually cares. Someone that will bring it back to life. Its not impossible to do..

1 thing I propose is maybe make it so the first 10 posts or so are moderated and yes I know its a daunting task but it will help filter out spam, also this probably wont work most of the time but some sort of ip check at register and/or when a members ip changes for all the people who got a bad name and try to come back as someone new that just kind of flags a member and adds them to a watch list. I know filtering by ip isnt as effective cause you can mask your ip but most people here that fall under this category sadly aren't smart enough to hide very well.

Honestly I’ve seen sites come back from worse, however that said it was through advertising, contacts (getting the few professionals that post there to contribute weekly or more), and a lot of work from the owners. At the moment I’m not even sure who the site is being run by. The owners are simply never around. Of course saying that we were clear at the start we didn't want them making the site completely about mccodes, and as such they took a step back.

In defense of the other thread deleting it wouldn’t have helped at the start. All it would have done is remove clear proof that the user is claiming others work as their own. I only deleted it in the end because it was still escalating. Banning his/her multiple accounts won’t stop them popping back up because the IP is dynamic (I checked a while go), and he shares IP’s with at least 1 user who has been around for a long time.

Edited by Dominion

AS I stated before.. The owners are not giving a crap what so ever.. Sell the site to someone who would take care of it. Dabs and CB pop in every once and a while and vanish for months on end leaving you guys to handle everything.

Since They are doing nothing about anything I don't blame you guys one bit for not caring and letting crap go on. I would to as a moderator..

With that being said. I may pm the owners my self and offer what this site is worth.

Staff willing to slam down the ban hammer on idiots would work too. Get rid of the trash that's drove the decent folk away, would be a good idea.

I put myself forward myself for the role of throwing out the trash :D

lol you will get my vote :D but on a serious note, it is very dead now... :(

of ab and the people who do care would just move to a new location everyone would follow. ab has enough reputation to do such a thing -_-. ;-)

Agreed, ab should take it over as he personally I feel is one admin who is on mostly.

Edited by Script47

It may well be going down the tubes, however I for one am happy to to still be working with certain individuals I've met through here - and enjoy supporting some of the younger people by providing services with or without their knowledge, for development, hosting, and simply someone to come to when a problem arises.

The ban hammer seldom if ever worked here as more than a few will testify to, neither it appears does the clue bat given some of the recent posts I've read. The owners seem disinclined to take a hand in the organisation of the forum, the administrators equally so, and older posts it seems are rapidly deteriorating as a succession of forum changes have corrupted so many topics.

There was a day when the place genuinely flourished, but that being said, there are still some good things coming from it. I see active projects being developed for and by people here with some nice ideas. Clean code, well thought out ideas, standards compliant markup etc., seems almost a shame to tar their release on the same forum as certain recent "ripped" topics.

C'est la vie

I think it is rather sad. Whilst I haven't been around as long as Guest and co, I still did post quite a while back and the decline has been quite rapid. Sad really, there were some very good threads before and the community was thriving. Now it just seems to be the same 10 odd people posting, with the occasional goofballs who try to sell mods that aren't there's or yet another "I got scammed, please give me sympathy because I wasn't clever enough to check up on the person I'm giving money to" thread.

That being said, I really don't know how this forum could be revived?

AS I stated before.. The owners are not giving a crap what so ever.. Sell the site to someone who would take care of it. Dabs and CB pop in every once and a while and vanish for months on end leaving you guys to handle everything.

Since They are doing nothing about anything I don't blame you guys one bit for not caring and letting crap go on. I would to as a moderator..

Actually I meant it’s a bit of both. We (As a site) didn’t want mccodes involved in the running of MWG. When they originally took over many members made it clear if they took too much of an active role they would simply leave. Well they should have at least had some interest they couldn’t win one way or the other. Now people are pointing the finger for doing what they were asked to do by the sites members.

of ab and the people who do care would just move to a new location everyone would follow. ab has enough reputation to do such a thing -_-. ;-)

Setting up a new forum, and adding content people are interested in reading/discussing, pushing other members to contribute such content, and of course gaining members that actual start discussions (help or otherwise) is not that easy. Even if people did follow them over it helps to have a main software to focus discussion on to begin with. Other members have tried and well they should have been the better option people continued to post here/elsewhere. Of course it can be done, however how many people care to put the time in?

Edited by Dominion

It's not like we don't care about this site. It is simply the time critical issue at the end of the day for the owners Dabomstew and myself.

I do lurk and read around this site a lot in spare time (Between class, work, in traffic and personal time at home). When it comes to investing effort to expand the forum (by means of new Forum boards to simulate activity, upgrades in systems etc), I am unable to due to lack of time during the day.

We never stop any moderator or admin on this site from doing what they want because we know they will do things in the best interest of the community. However, I agree with you Dom about the leaders (being the owners, Dabomstew and I) being off scene 80% of the time. I understand.

I am looking into getting a new management person to focus on that kind of things. However, this forum doesn't make $ and people don't invest their time for free. I shall do my best to sort something out in that department.

Please note: We are not looking to sell this site.

Valid point nevertheless. Thank you for voicing that out.

I personally enjoyed creating new mods for MCCODES, sometimes id wake up with an idea that was bugging me and had to get to work on it before I forgot it, hehe those were the days of none sleep, and constant coffee's. It wasn't the fact I enjoyed none sleep or even what I created it was something more important and that was it was sometimes a challenge. and could take some time for me to create it which also whiled the hours away. but the getup and go for me has dwindled somewhat and I seem to be concentrating more on home life than what was going on in here. However there are some damn decent engines engines on here to get my teeth into and im always willing to help out where needed.. :)

I am looking into getting a new management person to focus on that kind of things. However, this forum doesn't make $ and people don't invest their time for free. I shall do my best to sort something out in that department.

Please note: We are not looking to sell this site.

Looking into what exactly? Advertising MWG to new users or just overseeing the current site?

Reviewing the current issues (spam, lack of activity (things to talk about)) and rectifying it. Not concerned in investing any capital in the advertising account personally at this point.

TBH You can't stop the spam. Its gonna happen weather you like it or not. The lack of activity? With out advertising how exactly do you intend to keep people active? Your game engine is pretty much down the toilet its self with all the issues over the years. When I first started coming to these forums I would see a new mod just about every day. Weather it was a free mod or a paid one, there was always something new for mccodes. Now a days your lucky to see a new mod once a month or every other month. Because of all the B.S around here people have given up and left and with the lack of support for your own insecure engine 99% of the people have totally given up.

@chicka

You have some valid points in regards to spam and advertising. But does MCC really make this forum what it is? Sure its arguably the most used engine around, but its not the only engine around either. There are plenty of other engines out there it just so happens that the founders of MC bought this site which I think was a good move for them anyways to promote their engine.

What I think really kills this forum these days are these scrubs that want a game fast to earn some extra income without investing anything of their own whether it be time or money, they just want it now and free. Can you stop that? No. How do we fix it? Just like what people here have been doing and being as straight up as possible and trying convince them to learn the tasks on their own by trial and error, then come and post what they have done and the effect of it.

The flipside to that is their are some people who we all have seen lately that buy the mods and either try to sell them off as their own or give to all their friends. How do we stop that? Pretty impossible I think unless their is some licensing script/class someone wants to add into their mods but chances are people cant be bothered with that because someone will probably null it out.

Spam: Hmmm, I dont know how VB works but I know smf has something where the first 10 or so posts must have a captcha entered in order for the post to be accepted. I think that can help eliminate some of the spam.

For people leaving the forum, it can be numerous reason and im not saying that its one particular reason over the other. Maybe has something to do with families, personal reasons, internet access, or even tired of getting ripped off. To be honest im a little worried about posting paid work because one person may buy it but all of a sudden 50 people have it so now I lost out on a grip of money. With that being said a lot of people here dont want to post free stuff maybe because they have gotten ripped of several paid mods or their work isnt recognized because it gets passed off by the person who.copied and pasted it.

To me those are most of my concerns and if we can some how get those fixed the world in my eyes would be a better place. So ill stop rambling on right now, I tend to do that. See look, im doing it again after my sign off. Ohh bother

Sorry razor but you're stupid. The point of a forum is usually for free and open discussions.

To force someone to register to view a topic, that could not even exist.

the forums went into decline when mccodes brought it and started putting the mods from the forum on their site. (Without permission) imo

Sorry razor but you're stupid. The point of a forum is usually for free and open discussions.

To force someone to register to view a topic, that could not even exist.

the forums went into decline when mccodes brought it and started putting the mods from the forum on their site. (Without permission) imo

First of all its "bought" not "brought" and it does exist. I'v seen it on many forums. Forums are for free and open discussions yes, but guests can't post can they? So how are they? So please state how the are involved in free and open discussions?.