MakeWebGames

These forums going down the toilet

chicka

Maybe another idea to stop people free loading is removing guest visitors access to the forum boards so that of they actually wanna see the boards they have to register.

Good idea. IMHO there are many shy, and people who like to leach on other peoples work and other peoples discussions for themselves.

They're own morals will stop them from posting here due to them perhaps thinking "I aint a *whatever* to ask this kind of question/discussion" etc. Communities will never form like that.

Everyone has to contribute and willing and able to talk amongst each other with FULL respect. So Zettieeee, don't go out there blamming MCCode (Dabomstew and I along with team members (mostly open hearted contributers like Sniko, Dave, Paul, Zek, Ian and many others who have come and moved on to other commitments.) for spoiling things.

I have always done things out of best interest. That is all. Say whatever your cruel opinions want otherwise.

Sorry razor but you're stupid. The point of a forum is usually for free and open discussions.

To force someone to register to view a topic, that could not even exist.

the forums went into decline when mccodes brought it and started putting the mods from the forum on their site. (Without permission) imo

The best interest was to share everyone who contributed modules towards the MCC engine. I'd like to see what you contributed before raising this statement dude.

Nevertheless, we took what community members said into heart and made an option available for those module developers to request their listing at MCCodes.com which MCCodes.com -> Marketplace indexed into their marketplace list titled as "MWG free modules".

@chicka

You have some valid points in regards to spam and advertising. But does MCC really make this forum what it is? Sure its arguably the most used engine around, but its not the only engine around either. There are plenty of other engines out there it just so happens that the founders of MC bought this site which I think was a good move for them anyways to promote their engine.

What I think really kills this forum these days are these scrubs that want a game fast to earn some extra income without investing anything of their own whether it be time or money, they just want it now and free. Can you stop that? No. How do we fix it? Just like what people here have been doing and being as straight up as possible and trying convince them to learn the tasks on their own by trial and error, then come and post what they have done and the effect of it.

The flipside to that is their are some people who we all have seen lately that buy the mods and either try to sell them off as their own or give to all their friends. How do we stop that? Pretty impossible I think unless their is some licensing script/class someone wants to add into their mods but chances are people cant be bothered with that because someone will probably null it out.

Spam: Hmmm, I dont know how VB works but I know smf has something where the first 10 or so posts must have a captcha entered in order for the post to be accepted. I think that can help eliminate some of the spam.

For people leaving the forum, it can be numerous reason and im not saying that its one particular reason over the other. Maybe has something to do with families, personal reasons, internet access, or even tired of getting ripped off. To be honest im a little worried about posting paid work because one person may buy it but all of a sudden 50 people have it so now I lost out on a grip of money. With that being said a lot of people here dont want to post free stuff maybe because they have gotten ripped of several paid mods or their work isnt recognized because it gets passed off by the person who.copied and pasted it.

To me those are most of my concerns and if we can some how get those fixed the world in my eyes would be a better place. So ill stop rambling on right now, I tend to do that. See look, im doing it again after my sign off. Ohh bother

We don't make or break this forum. It's us all that do.

We need good ethics from some community members. We don't need marketing, we don't need people crying about spams (our moderators do their best to get rid of spam as soon as they encounter it - we aren't blind). Members will inflow this way. Many guests will turn into active posters if they see a good community drive. Some of the individuals here are very on to it. I respect them each and every day I come on here even if they are being dicks/frustrated/annoyed/trollin', end of the they, it's them that will help willingly.

MCCodes does hold 100% shares on this forum, list in bullet point(s) of what you want done on here in your views. I promise I will take you into consideration. So don't cry like *****es, go on and provide solutions against each issue. After all aren't developers entitled to provide solutions to everything? What are you?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somehow I still don't fully understand why you guys complain about the fact McCodes owners own this forum as well. Did they blocked (maybe beside a couple of my posts) anyhow to post anything? Or do they force you to buy their product instead of another? do they block other engines? No. They pay the bills and somehow maintain the servers as well. We as community should be grateful for it. Of course it's a shame they don't invest more time on the forum to share their opinions, roadmap or chat. But that's another issue, it is not for that, that the forum is going down. Saying that they don't offer a V3, V4 or whatever is not a good reason either. There is alternatives (like do your home work and code it yourself).

The only issue I could have was the issue with their mod list which didn't asked the owners if they agreed, and the fact that discussion degenerated. They are picky as many of us if your touch their things. Try saying their code is not good and you will see the result ;) Anyhow beside that they leave the community pretty much in peace.

Maybe the issue is that MdShare did kept the community a bit more alive introducing new content, contests and trying to point people to this forum, while personally I don't do it. So maybe the issue is that MdShare went to new horizons and left us in the mud... that the community is not good enough to attract new members beside new comers which simply ask always the same things and old members don't share their knowledge anymore.

CB and a_b spot on. All of us as a community I think need to do a bit better and I know there are a few people here that do really try their hardest to help people new and old with some helpful tips and tricks because a lot of them still help me.

Bottom line this isnt makeMCwebgames.com, there are several other engines available and if you dont like them make up your own. If you need help, ask and there are people ready to help. Need something made, there are threads for that.

Make use of the forum people the way it is intended to be used, its not that hard

MCCodes does hold 100% shares on this forum, list in bullet point(s) of what you want done on here in your views. I promise I will take you into consideration. So don't cry like *****es, go on and provide solutions against each issue. After all aren't developers entitled to provide solutions to everything? What are you?

Wait!

Don't give him ideas, he'll just copy and brand them as MCCodes.com OFFICIAL MODIFICATIONS.

But seriously,

• **** you.

See this is the only thing that bugs me...

Yes we're a community I understand that, yes we should be proposing new ideas to breath some life into the place.

Yet you tell us to list what we want done, and you'll take it into consideration, where is your list? Where are your ideas? What are you doing to help the community ( minus where it resides ).

I don't see any active participation in the community 'problems' from your end, and after all we are a community aren't we? no? Just crying bi.tches? Yeah I thought as much.

On that note I quote:

But seriously,

• **** you.

Just sell the site or guys move one to an active site or best yet make your own* forum the new mccodes etc with all the help we can get we can make an active forum theres lots of people who have new mods for mccodes and the engine could be better think outside the box look at ruthlesscity engine its worth 120 dollars mccodes v2 is not compare them we need a new forum of ourvown with new moderators , staff etc new mods more people equals better mods i have a friend called venom who own outbreakcity.com he learned from mccodes now look at his game its amazing guys all im saying we need a new forum really and making mod sites such as mccodesmods.com is useless why because there the same mods guys new forum ,mods, staff and new community maybe a new engine mccodes is like a game in 1997 think of big games like torn city, crimevalley think outside the box everyone can learn instead of making a lazy engine theres a time where it ok.and a time where there is a time for change.Cmon with the help of us coders imagine what engines we could make what forums we could make and must important what community we can all make mccodes is dead its a thing of the past we are the new generation of coding we are a community so follow me and lets make it lets make it easier to learn easier to learn proper coding imagine a new community, engine, game we could even make a game as good as tc please listen people.

i feel sorry for the community in a yr there will me no active people rememmber richard hes and example of community loss he made great mods he just had a few errors and if the community was good he would have stayed honestly guys we can teach how to code learning php from a site is basic but learning how to code using an engine is what we need we are losing potential we are lacking and soon we will lose you...

I think that maybe maybe with the completion of V3 it will help open some doors with some new and improved ideas, something new always brings in.... well, something new

@crimec:

When you say

we need a new forum of ourvown with new moderators , staff etc new mods more people equals better mods

What do you mean, because the way I see it is that this is our forum that is paid for us to use. And I think that mccodesmods.com was mainly a place for cronus to sell his stuff on his own site he added a forum to post new mods like here, offer some support for his mods. I dont think it was meant to try to overthrow MWG.

Mainly what we need here is all of us need an attitude change including myself since I too get frustrated and people need to grow up and stop stealing other peoples stuff either as their own or just giving it out freely

Personally I'm not. Why? Because it has been SOOOOO long they talk about it. Promise things. Promise it will come on date X, and then disapear for yet around 6 months. So when it will come, if it will come I will judge. But saying I'm exited, or interested? Nope sorry.

I think that maybe maybe with the completion of V3 it will help open some doors with some new and improved ideas, something new always brings in.... well, something new

@crimec:

When you say

What do you mean, because the way I see it is that this is our forum that is paid for us to use. And I think that mccodesmods.com was mainly a place for cronus to sell his stuff on his own site he added a forum to post new mods like here, offer some support for his mods. I dont think it was meant to try to overthrow MWG.

Mainly what we need here is all of us need an attitude change including myself since I too get frustrated and people need to grow up and stop stealing other peoples stuff either as their own or just giving it out freely

true very i agree with you there needs to be changes

Maybe the issue is that MdShare did kept the community a bit more alive introducing new content, contests and trying to point people to this forum, while personally I don't do it. So maybe the issue is that MdShare went to new horizons and left us in the mud... that the community is not good enough to attract new members beside new comers which simply ask always the same things and old members don't share their knowledge anymore.

The new content basically gave people something interesting to read, and not all the new members MD pointed to the forum were simply asking for help (you for example). This stopping is probably part of the reason the experienced members joining has somewhat vanished.

Add to that, I've probably made as much money as you guys over the years, just for dealing with what support should have - result!

Lol. I guess a lot of us have earned out of their support policy... or lack of one anyway.

Just sell the site or guys move one to an active site or best yet make your own* forum the new mccodes etc

Stop blaming just the mccodes staff (Dabs and CB) it’s not only their fault. They were asked not to take the forum into a purely mccodes route, and didn’t. With that in mind it’s still their business and you have no right to demand they sell it. At least the first one to suggest it was considering putting an offer in. CB made clear they are not selling, therefore move away from that idea.

If you don’t like a site run by Mccodes... why are you here? They have owned it for some time now, long before you signed up.

On that note crimevally is a custom engine created by CrazyT for a client (could be mistaken), and outbreakcity I have never heard of before.

Cmon with the help of us coders imagine what engines we could make what forums we could make and must important what community we can all make mccodes is dead its a thing of the past we are the new generation of coding we are a community so follow me and lets make it lets make it easier to learn easier to learn proper coding imagine a new community, engine, game we could even make a game as good as tc please listen people.

Really? You’re still talking about making a torn clone... Sigh.

i feel sorry for the community in a yr there will me no active people rememmber richard hes and example of community loss he made great mods he just had a few errors and if the community was good he would have stayed honestly guys we can teach how to code learning php from a site is basic but learning how to code using an engine is what we need we are losing potential we are lacking and soon we will lose you...

Urg... didn’t Richard leave before MCC took over?

Now on a general note V3 is not the answer. I for one have no interest in a site based only around mccodes (or any other software like it for that matter).

I feel a board restructure could help, as do I feel more articles and discussion could help gain interest from more experienced programmers.This would take an entire site effort, and I’m not sure those who could start such things have the time (or the drive) to do so here.

Although I don’t feel deleting threads is the answer we could mark those with outdated techniques, and/or lock older threads. This has been suggested before.

V3 is definitely not the answer... The lack of support for v1 v2 redux and all the security issues that came with those tells me that v3 would be nothing but the same..

Its not the community's responsibility to make the forums interesting or make people want to stay.. Its the owners responsibility to make their website attractive, make people want to come here and show off their skills, help others and so on.

I’m actually not claiming V3 will be poorly made or it will lack support. They have taken on other developers, and in my view that is a good sign. It’s not like I’m not putting my life on hold, but I will be interested in seeing what they come up with, and I doubt I’m alone. I simply feel that one piece of software won’t turn a site like this around. I feel if the site goes back to being based around one engine we will lose a number of members who just aren’t interested in using it... probably me included.

As for where the responsibilities lay... it depends how you look on it. As members we could all post more content etc, but honestly they need to drive it one way or the other. It comes down to the whole “why should we” mentality.

• 2 weeks later...

As illusions said, it has been tried many times. Only a couple of the people here joined the effort, and the end result was even worse than this forum. The issue is not the forum, the owners or whatever. The issue is the community which is not so much interested to participate in anything. Each one is in its own bubble and that's it.

Bringing us back on topic.. I'd be happy to run a new forum with the old favourites.. Or staff this one and sort it out.

What do you guys think?

The problem is when people open up a site because one is dying they tend to base that new site on the former, and so they inherit the same problems. If you’re going to open a forum site up just keep in mind you need to appeal to members from elsewhere not just MWG.

I've been lurking around for about the past month after being away for quite some time and I see its the same old thing. Lots of complaining and pointing out what is wrong but no ideas on how to "jump start" the community again.

So here is an idea to maybe start a little community involvement for the better...

Weekly/Monthly Competitions

It could cover a whole range of topics to bring the "community" feeling back to the forums.

Another idea....

Seems to be several gaming engines available but not much info about them...

So how about a community "how to" guide for each of them...

Installation, how to operate, etc....

A small suggestion also...

Better organization of mods contained in the forums. Such as add on games, attacking mods, market mods, etc. Might take a little work but an organized front might make it more enticing for new user to stay active as it will be easier to find what they are looking for.

Like all good communities there needs to be a clear and concise "code of conduct" that needs to be followed by members and enforced by staff.

I am even willing to step up and help make these things happen if it means keeping this community alive and thriving as it once was when I joined it.

Weekly/Monthly Competitions

It could cover a whole range of topics to bring the "community" feeling back to the forums.

We have a competition board, but people didn't seem all that interested.

Another idea....

Seems to be several gaming engines available but not much info about them...

So how about a community "how to" guide for each of them...

Installation, how to operate, etc....

This could be an idea, but I'm not sure it would bring forum posts up.

A small suggestion also...

Better organization of mods contained in the forums. Such as add on games, attacking mods, market mods, etc. Might take a little work but an organized front might make it more enticing for new user to stay active as it will be easier to find what they are looking for.

A few people have suggested this, however it's a lot work, and it could have the opposite effect and make it more confusing. Maybe other people could suggest how they would like things laid out?

Its nice to see people trying to come up with ideas.. Starting an other forum is NOT a good idea in my opinion. The site is here already, its popular (not as it once was) and people still come here to learn. Maybe the owners should take a little more time, read some of the suggestions, invest a little time into implementing some of these good ideas and see what it brings. We know this site is not a money making site however trying to keep it alive will reflect how the owners of mccodes treat their product.

If new people come here and see that this site is going down the toilet how do you think its going to reflect their product? Makes them and their product look bad.

I wonder why everybody still expect things from CB and Dabs. Both have been clear about it: they don't have time / willingness to do anything with this forum. They pay the bills, and run the server, that's about it. Also this site is NOT about McCodes, there is a huge section for it, but that's again about it.

So if the community want something, then the community should do it. And the community is everyone. I do for example have full power to change the locations of things, create new sections remove others, or spanks bad chickas (kidding). So if you want something you can't do yourself, ask and I will try to help. If you expect I or somebody else do all the hard work, forget it. I will participate as I always did, add content as I always did, but will not do advertisement or push anything more than I'm currently doing.

We have a competition board, but people didn't seem all that interested.

There is an MWG awards board but I see no "Contest" or "Competitions" boards. MWG awards was/is a nomination based system, not a contest/competition. If there is another location please point me in the direction of it so that I can see what has been done.

This could be an idea, but I'm not sure it would bring forum posts up.

If the goal is just to bring forum post counts up then I think the bigger picture may be missing. Shouldn't the goal be something more like increasing quality post? Having good quality, informative post will spawn other discussions. Either way doesn't matter, the idea was more of just a community involvement project.

A few people have suggested this, however it's a lot work, and it could have the opposite effect and make it more confusing. Maybe other people could suggest how they would like things laid out?

I am missing the logic here. Having things organized will cause more confusion?

Of course I know it is/would be a lot of work. Definitely not something that could be done overnight but feel it would make things more user friendly.