MakeWebGames

Text Based RPG Gaming

Shades

There is if you have a passion for it, if you are just going to throw up a cash grab in an attempt to get some $$ it isn't going to work out for you. However if you are dedicated and actually want to have a game for the community of it and because you love making games the money will find its way to you. The market has been saturated for years so users are picky where they play and what the support the development of.

3 minutes ago, Mad Caper said:

There is if you have a passion for it, if you are just going to throw up a cash grab in an attempt to get some $$ it isn't going to work out for you. However if you are dedicated and actually want to have a game for the community of it and because you love making games the money will find its way to you. The market has been saturated for years so users are picky where they play and what the support the development of.

From my 10 years + of observations, I find the opposite of this to be correct.

People who put in the work and want to create an awesome, unique game can make ok money, but very few make a huge sum. On the other side of that, I've seen a lot of thrown together, include-any-free-mod-i-find games to make a tonne with no real effort on their part, no storyline and more holes than a Glaswegian prostitutes tights.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Text based genre seems like it is getting smaller these days. Most games still going on the vote sites or google - have been around for awhile with a stable player base. Even if you login to them; almost every month someone is posting they login because habit. I shutdown a site about 5 years ago and would get bombarded by old players asking for me to bring it back. So one weekend I had some time and did and next thing you know...nothing. Players logged in...got excited and left almost immediately. I sold another one of my games about 3 years ago, new owner was shutting it down; once again I was offered to take it over(buy it back) and I did. Because I didn't want it to go offline. It received a bit more players, spent some money on adverts through newrpg.com and some vote sites...some new players but just tough to keep interest. 

It does seem like the genre would do well due to mobile. But text base games in itself was already niche; so it seems harder to gain new long term players. Compared to those looking for instant gratification. While I love the genre - its definitely hard as a developer to stay motivated to continue in it. Compared to buying a $25 template of a contruct game, reskinning and crossing fingers to get a big win as a new release game. 

Looking forward to reading others opinions on it as well.

generally, anytime you can do something that enables cross-platform play it will increase player base, the only issue with text based RPGs is they seem to lack a certain "OOMF".
By OOMF I mean, there's not enough content to hold the players attention span. There are so many things to take into consideration when releasing a game, and most do not have the energy nor time to focus towards such a project. Unfortunately with techs growing, older tech has to work harder to keep up. Not that it can't be done but you have to put lots of focus into it.

On 3/25/2019 at 2:10 PM, SRB said:

From my 10 years + of observations, I find the opposite of this to be correct.

People who put in the work and want to create an awesome, unique game can make ok money, but very few make a huge sum. On the other side of that, I've seen a lot of thrown together, include-any-free-mod-i-find games to make a tonne with no real effort on their part, no storyline and more holes than a Glaswegian prostitutes tights.

I think in a large part it's because a lot of dedicated "text-gamers" are used to a certain layout, certain mods, etc.. And for the most part are just too damned lazy to try something new or to at least give it a go. They jump on, can't be bothered to read anything, which is really idiotic when you consider, don't find what they are used to doing on others games which they've become so comfortable with  and then leave.

^ This is another plague thats existed since the release of Mccodes V1, Everything that came out was the same, people would buy and reuse mods, and sadly enough they made money from laziness. So now everyone who wants something to hold out you gotta work 10x harder to just get an initial player base. And hoping that you've given them enough of the right things to do, and at the same time not making it incredibly cumbersome on a player who just wants a game where they can click a few times and logout. Keeping the lazy ones in the loop isn't exactly fun nor easy, but if you can hold a lazy persons attention span for at least a couple of weeks, that'll mean you've got a solid baseline that's interesting enough, and the players who are looking for a good storyline, will stick around even longer as they'll want to see how things pan out.

EDIT: All in all, this community should come together to create something far different than what we've had in the past. Know your audience, that's the saying isn't it?

Edited by InverTed

Why different? It is easy to come up with a base-line product; making it flexible is the key and how many people are now working in and around the programming industry that cut their teeth with projects like V1/V2 McCodes. Yes, it was a flawed product, and lazy devs didn't bother to change the look and feel much or get mods which fitted their genre, however there are plenty of us who ran/run successful projects based albeit loosely on those venerable code-bases.

Take for example a new install of V2. It takes around 3-4 hours to "skin" it nicely and fix some of the more obvious fubars; switch over to a decent DB backend and address some of the interesting database issues. Securing it properly and addressing the more esoteric bugs takes a little time, as does finding some high-quality mods but they do exists - and some of us (myself included) still write the occasional one.

Laziness does come into it I agree, however taking a little time to plan before jumping in feet first - and to ensure you have adequate tests and logging in place pays dividends quite quickly. Maybe if people here collaborated a little more - something that did happen 5/6 years ago, then more groundwork could be laid for better projects. So, Yes, as a community it would be good to develop something together, but different - why not stick to something that people can get to grips with and have a wealth of experienced people to discuss their issues/ideas with.

[Append]

In fact - all that is really needed is a solid foundation, ideally with replaceable code components; authentication, database abstraction, dependency injection, some form of sane plugin system, and let people grow the system from there - you would need to have some form of database manipulation system in place which becomes a little tricky of you consider multiple/mixed back-ends (MySQL,Mongo/PostgreSQL,CouchDB,Redis etc) however those things have been solved in other environments. Dropping the reliance on a specific framework is trickier - I'd be open for pointers on that one; though I suspect relying on PSR7/17 techniques my be the solution to that one.

Edited by Alan
Additional thoughts

I agree, there are several out there who have successfully gotten through with Mccodes, tbh, I used the lite version (Which converting it to something halfway workable took a few more than 4 hours), and I've stuck to doing all the keyboard crunching myself. It's rare to see that in any community, and to be honest it's a bit more satisfying when you make it yourself and it turns out the way you expected it to.

I started dev'ing KOL with the Mccodes Lite, now it's entirely non-existent(Besides the actual log in page and logo) in the code, I've typed everything, aside from the PDO_Wrapper that @Magictallguy developed, which has come in incredibly handy if I do say so myself.  It's just unfortunate to see so many people giving up the hope that text-based RPGs can become a big thing again. My goal is to show them their clueless :)

10 minutes ago, InverTed said:

I agree, there are several out there who have successfully gotten through with Mccodes, tbh, I used the lite version (Which converting it to something halfway workable took a few more than 4 hours), and I've stuck to doing all the keyboard crunching myself. It's rare to see that in any community, and to be honest it's a bit more satisfying when you make it yourself and it turns out the way you expected it to.

I started dev'ing KOL with the Mccodes Lite, now it's entirely non-existent(Besides the actual log in page and logo) in the code, I've typed everything, aside from the PDO_Wrapper that @Magictallguy developed, which has come in incredibly handy if I do say so myself.  It's just unfortunate to see so many people giving up the hope that text-based RPGs can become a big thing again. My goal is to show them their clueless :)

very well said. I must have made about 60 mods for MCCODES v2 and have enjoyed every minute creating them, Ive never actually made a fully working game, even though people tell me i am silly not too, I just dont like the thought of running a game..