MakeWebGames

MCCodes reformation

ColdBlooded

when i replied to the ticket system i got a weired message saying

Illusions wanna see me naked on cam ?.....

I was horrified at this and spent several days in hospital trying to get over the shock of seeing CB or Dabs or even Paul in the Nuddy, but im pleased to say i've overcome my fear and sent a nuddy piccy of me to them all ;)

LOL - Cheeky Illusions, I swear I'm going to wreck you one day ;). I thought we signed a NDA for this service.

Alain - Cheers for that reassurance. I'll get Ian to clean that system up. Then I shall re-evaluate whether the ticket system's benefit outweighs the retro email style of support.

RoZ - We are always actively reading. I am anyway. It all depends on the mood for posting.

Ticket system is... bad:

You send your ticket, fine... when some of you guys answer, the answer come from ian with a reply to noreply and all the text is... escaped, returns and ' are odd...

Hey Alain,\r\n\r\nhttp://

sorry... that's really bad. Fix your ticket system and maybe people shall use it. Also having an history would be good too, so some sort of interface to see how's going with it.

Too complex? Then go back to a simple email [email protected] and drop that "ticket" system.

If your logged in there is a history.

Edited by Guest

How could I log in if I don't even have an account... Sorry... makes indeed no sense. Nor the interface shows the fact it's logged. I would strongly suggest to use a tool like bugzilla or any other true bug tracking system if the forums or the emails are not enough. For me it doesn't make sense trying to re-do something which already exists unless your needs don't match what the tools have to offer.

Your post make's no sense, even if you misspelled "history".

Yes it does?

How could I log in if I don't even have an account... Sorry... makes indeed no sense. Nor the interface shows the fact it's logged. I would strongly suggest to use a tool like bugzilla or any other true bug tracking system if the forums or the emails are not enough. For me it doesn't make sense trying to re-do something which already exists unless your needs don't match what the tools have to offer.

Then you won't have a history. You need to have an account to see previous tickets. I fail to see how bugzilla would help.Your logic also makes no sense. There are hundreds of different forum, cms software, yet they provide generally the same thing, yet alot of successful, according to your logic only 1 should be made because that's all you need?

No, seems you don't my point. Many forums exists as maybe the existing one don't fit the needs of the group or the coder which started a new one. Some may work with MySQL some others maybe with other databases, and simply some try to grab market and make sales.

Beside this logic, I hardly see, how your "submit form" can be seen as ticket system, as even my answer have no chance to get back automatically to the ticks. Why? Because the answer don't contain any reference, and I doubt your mccodes.com address are going through some tool you wrote to grab ticket answers. So why do I think a better system shall exists? Well for example, if I report a bug, and you answer me saying it's not a bug simply I didn't put something right, then maybe the next time somebody have an issue you could point him to the same bug. On the other side, a correct bug tracking system shall accept attachments, have score / priorities, and have a responsible which shall work it out. Shall all that make visible? I would tend to say so, but you may as well keep it internal, that's up to you guys. Why don't I use one myself? Well beside I do use one at work, for NWE I don't have so many things open that I need one, and the forums (MWG) do fit my needs for the moment.

Why do I think you should pick something existent instead of trying to do it yourself? Well because I believe you could invest your time on things more useful for McCodes like trying to fix some of the issues, write some documentations (I still didn't saw a single line of it), help coding the next engine, or even simply work as PR... which is totally lacking. BTW the McCode website would still require some work like:

http://mccodes.com/products.php?id=3

Why do you have "Engine", "Latest Ver" "Price" etc... on top with Demo and Buy... where those could be link or was link in my mind, yet they lead to nowhere? I would say somebody need to invest time to make the pages a bit more user friendly.

Then you won't have a history. You need to have an account to see previous tickets. I fail to see how bugzilla would help.Your logic also makes no sense. There are hundreds of different forum, cms software, yet they provide generally the same thing, yet alot of successful, according to your logic only 1 should be made because that's all you need?

If you actually take a step back and read. He suggests to use a already built script, that does what you are planning. But better yet, has been tested multiple times on multiple servers & multiple clients. Not a custom script where you pick up errors along the way.

Each script offer's its uniqueness, but why re-invent the wheel when there is probably already a script made to do what you want? But even more!

If you actually take a step back and read. He suggests to use a already built script, that does what you are planning. But better yet, has been tested multiple times on multiple servers & multiple clients. Not a custom script where you pick up errors along the way.

Each script offer's its uniqueness, but why re-invent the wheel when there is probably already a script made to do what you want? But even more!

So why build a website from nothing? I should just go on and upload joomla? Because re inventing it is pointless?

So why build a website from nothing? I should just go on and upload joomla? Because re inventing it is pointless?

Now, it's not pointless when you can do a better job than what your doing!

You supposed to be giving client support, not fixing issues with your client support.

Now, it's not pointless when you can do a better job than what your doing!

You supposed to be giving client support, not fixing issues with your client support.

Wrong, I should be fixing things and creating things.

Wrong you should do it properly first time and then not have to fix it afterwards which would be the case if you tested your code rather than waiting for clients or non clients to come along and point out the errors.

And you write perfect code everytime?

Wrong you should do it properly first time and then not have to fix it afterwards which would be the case if you tested your code rather than waiting for clients or non clients to come along and point out the errors.

To write something perfect first time is incredibly hard even for the best coders. The amount of revisions I make upon codes before release is ridiculous. Finding new methods to shorten how I'm doing things, finding interesting bugs/errors that need to be repaired.

Writing code perfect first time is just... somewhat impossible.

Not true...I use OOP so its very simple to plan out your class structure and consider everything before you even start coding. Even with procedural and a good plan its possible, thought it probably will be harder. If you just jump into code then yea 9-10 there will be some form of an error but thats why proper planning was invented.

@Ian - If you view FuturisticShinobi.com you will see I used an open source support system. It doesnt mean I cant code my own or it doesnt change anything really it just saved me time. They did a way better job than I would have but that doesnt even mean its because I cant do a better job...Its because I dont have the time to put into making a system that does all that theirs does. If they did it for me why should I go out of my way to do it myself when I am already on a tight schedule. Open source is a life saver and it saves you time and makes you money...Mc is a business so you do whats best for the business, even if you work hard and eventually get it done, imagine how many more important things you could have coded. You seem to be getting defensive and I believe everyone is just trying to help you see the advantage to using open source in SOME situations.

I use OOP... Just because it's OOP doesn't mean there will be bugs.

Not true...I use OOP so its very simple to plan out your class structure and consider everything before you even start coding. Even with procedural and a good plan its possible, thought it probably will be harder. If you just jump into code then yea 9-10 there will be some form of an error but thats why proper planning was invented.
-.- Using OOP and using it properly is 2 different things but thats a whole other conversation...

Using OOP does not make something bug free. I don't understand this point of view at all. Even if you plan out the whole application a typo could cause some small error. As said above it's what bug testing is for.

You write the code

You test the code

You fix the code which could be revisions, bug fixes

You release the code

There done properly first time. Is that difficult?

Year1920 has yet to be released for want of an example. Overdue yes. But why release it unless its ready. I would be surprised if this wasnt the case.

Yes of course the larger the project the more chance to miss something regardless of the testing. However look at this case. They missed Hey Alain,\r\n\r\nhttp://

Obviously not tested. Mc Codes habit?

You write the code

You test the code

You fix the code which could be revisions, bug fixes

You release the code

There done properly first time. Is that difficult?

Year1920 has yet to be released for want of an example. Overdue yes. But why release it unless its ready. I would be surprised if this wasnt the case.

Yes of course the larger the project the more chance to miss something regardless of the testing. However look at this case. They missed Hey Alain,\r\n\r\nhttp://

Obviously not tested. Mc Codes habit?

If only it was that easy.

My point is, its very possible to write clean and bug free code everytime you do it. Its all a mental thing to me. (mistakes will be made every now and again no matter how good you are since no one is perfect all the time that is exactly why bug testing is needed).

The contradictory nature of your posts is so off-putting, I can hardly pay attention to anything else you say. Do you actually read what you type?

Im not surprised you dont understand my points of view but maybe I should have added basic typing skills and knowledge of the language is needed. I can honestly say I've made lots of bug free projects without testing first hand. If your plan is very detailed its hard to miss things...I never said using OOP would make everything perfect but understanding the logic behind OO allows you to make plans that will be way more effective thus making it easy not to mess up.

You can make a detailed plan no matter what you're using. As for testing, if you only test once at the end of creating a system, you are either very lucky not to have error (syntax or just a plain mistake in how it works) or... well I don't know. Either way OOP or not it's going to mean a plan lets it suddenly become bug free. Maybe with a small project testing would not be needed at every step, but really? I don't see you creating something large, and not making a mistake just because of a plan. As I said before even a typo could cause an error.

So you have no time to type and read back but while coding you plan all from the beginning (which is called waterfall development... and is somewhat the old died methodology) and write in one shoot. Sorry I doubt.

First of all, you can plan as much as you want, there will be ALWAYS issues. It could be from you having introduced some stupid typos (yes, specially on PHP as you can't see them till you run your code), could be an issue with some browser / db / data, or could be something you do not know while coding it.

As an example, I discovered a nasty bug in one of the soft I develop for my work. Basically it's some kind of specially crafted proxy / router software. Now, as a router it need to listen to one side of the network and replicate more or less the messages to the other side. That's for the background. Now remains to say that the protocol we want to route uses both TCP and UDP messages (and both need to be supported). Using .NET / C#, I coded the different pieces of code and worked more or less as planned (yes we do plan what we code too, but not completely and if you want I will explain you later why) till.... Monday. Why? Because we tested the software against some old code, which crashed and sent only a partial UDP packet... and this somehow killed the UDP listener of C#. Sad, but it wasn't really documented, and if it happens you simply continue to receive exceptions every time you try to listen to the next UDP packet. As UDP is stateless / connection less, you should not have such behavior, however this is how it works on windows. So what do you do? Either you drop a socket and create a new one, or you find the right IO setting and set the socket as UDP_RESETCONN which means it will reset itself every time a wrong UDP packet is received.

Long story made short => you can plan as much as you want, but you will always discover things you didn't know, didn't planned, or simply missed / wrongly coded. So don't make me laugh, as a code free software simply do not exists.