MakeWebGames

Announcing MWG Marketplace

Dave

Following on from the sad news from @ColdBlooded I have decided to try and fill the place left in our hearts by the closure of the MCCodes website marketplace. This was the main hub of free and paid extensions for MCCodes (alongside MWG obviously!) and it's a real shame to not have that available for those wanting to get into building games today.

Due to this I'm proud to announce MWG now has a marketplace, this can be accessed via the "Marketplace" link in the top navigation menu, or by directly visiting: https://makewebgames.io/marketplace/

image.thumb.png.9f2af3728f49c239ebb3d5fd83e85d9a.png

Features:

• Ability to post free and paid mods
  • Purchases of your modules are deposited into credit in your account
  • 10% commission is charged by MWG, along with a $0.50 transaction fee to cover PayPal fees. This is to help ensure MWG can continue to thrive and support its community.
  • Credit can be withdrawn at any amount over $10.00, if you have a need for a withdrawal under this amount please contact myself and we can arrange this. You can withdraw to:
    • PayPal (you will incur fees if you're outside of the US)
    • UK Bank Transfer
    • US Bank Transfer
    • If you have any other withdrawal methods please send me a message, we're happy to accommodate.
  • We aim to pay out all withdrawals in 24 hours, typically this can be within the hour if I am online and able to process your withdrawal then and there.

If you have any questions please feel free to respond here or message me directly!

I look forward to seeing your modules in our marketplace soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• Dave pinned this topic

I've resolved an issue where the original author was unable to edit their marketplace entry.

I've also now enabled the ability to view your marketplace files, along with their purchases and other information. You can also generate a purchase for another user if they've purchased your module from another system or you're gifting it to them as part of a give away.

You can access this new feature via Marketplace > My Marketplace Files or via https://makewebgames.io/files/mypaidfiles/

image.thumb.png.123322c6d4242a5f22330fa85da92aaa.png

• Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Mark Topper said:

Are you planning to do a API for the marketplace?

In order to easily list available categories, items and updates, along with the option to download any purchased items directly through the API?

The marketplace does already have an API, by design the forum software only allows access to it for admins, but we can certainly see if there's a benefit of granting API access to other services.

What use case do you have for using the API?

22 minutes ago, Dave said:

The marketplace does already have an API, by design the forum software only allows access to it for admins, but we can certainly see if there's a benefit of granting API access to other services.

What use case do you have for using the API?

I could make it so you could install modules from MWG from the GL admin panel

3 minutes ago, Dayo said:

I could make it so you could install modules from MWG from the GL admin panel

That'd be pretty amazing, the "Marketplace" is powered by a feature called "Downloads" you can view more about the REST API here: https://invisioncommunity.com/developers/rest-api

I think it'd require for users on GLv2 to authenticate via Oauth with the marketplace to be able to download modules. Could certainly be an interesting project though! 

3 minutes ago, Dayo said:

I have used oauth before when working on a gov.uk api so I could use that code ?

Inthink this would be an awesome addition to GL, coukd even have it as a seperate module outside of the core 

The other option is to create an API key which is used by all GLv2 installations, but I'd prefer for individual users of MWG to authenticate with the forums to see their purchases etc.

Once I've finished my chat mod I'll be happy to help out with this.

4 hours ago, Mark Topper said:

This was my plan as well, to have game platforms using this for its plugin library.
However, please make sure there is also some versioning, so that the system can easily see when there is a new update of a module/plugin/theme and download it.

All files are versioned so it’s already there!

If you would like an Oauth client I can set you one up for access to the marketplace.

• 1 month later...

Got to say that i am loving the new marketplace and the new ownership i have requested money twice from here and got it within 5 minutes of sending my messages accept one time but @Dave was away in Spain if i remember correctly i will certainly be using this more often for my work and would reccommend anyone who wants to sell work to do the same. 

Whats even better for uk sellers is you can get a instant bank transfer which saves all these dam paypal fees.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Marketplace is doing amazing, we're seeing so many purchases per week along with great submissions all the time, when I pitched the idea to @ColdBlooded about moving the MCCodes marketplace to the forum I didn't think it'd be so much of a success.

However, I've modified the marketplace commission & transaction fee rates (effective April 11th 2020) to better support the forum. As the cost of most of the extensions are quite low on the marketplace (under $10) and as PayPal fees are not forgiving for low cost purchases ($5.00 and below the PayPal fees are higher than the current 10% commission rate) I believe these changes will ensure the community can continue to thrive. Due to the potential of loss and the idea behind the commission to help support and maintain the forum I've made the following changes to the marketplace costs for developers:

• $0.50 transaction fee for all Marketplace transactions
  • 10% commission, as currently implemented

This will not hurt the buyers of your extensions but rather ensure that MWG can continue to thrive and implement new features and stay a hub for this community which I'm very grateful to have back. I would still recommend setting your extension price above the $10 mark to ensure you're adequately compensated for your great work! 

While I've tried to minimize costs for withdrawals we do still incur some fees for those of you outside of the US due to needing to transfer money into your country (specifically the UK), this is why I opened up UK bank transfers to help minimize the PayPal fees.

To have full transparency on these changes I wanted to share with you the costs of running MakeWebGames, all be it some of these aren't strictly necessary it's where we are:

• $40/month hosting costs
  • $70/6 months for software renewal
  • IPS forum software original purchase of ~$400

I hope you can see my reasoning behind this change, if you have any questions please respond below!

• Like 3