MakeWebGames

Mccodes v2 licence - Buying

Anthony G

If you want a V2 license on your head be it. The code is disgusting. Beyond disgusting. I'm pretty sure you may be able to get a good alternative for roughly the same price.

Might need a few people to state whether that's true or not.

I'd ask [MENTION=53425]Magictallguy[/MENTION] how much his MTG Codes goes for.

You might also think about looking into [MENTION=65371]sniko[/MENTION]'s Panther. (If someone could provide the link that would be great, I don't have it handy and I'm on my phone)

Just think you should look around before going straight to Mccodes.

If you want a V2 license on your head be it. The code is disgusting. Beyond disgusting. I'm pretty sure you may be able to get a good alternative for roughly the same price.

Might need a few people to state whether that's true or not.

I'd ask @Magictallguy how much his MTG Codes goes for.

You might also think about looking into @sniko's Panther. (If someone could provide the link that would be great, I don't have it handy and I'm on my phone)

Just think you should look around before going straight to Mccodes.

I always find it ironic when I see people who've made money working on mccode games, slating it so badly.

mcCodes is never bad when you're profiting from it.

Sure, the code sucks, but with a little work, it's playable and easily modifiable.

I get sick of seeing someone ask for X and everyone offer them A, B, Y and Z.

Judging from the post, I'd say it's quite clear he knows what he wants - there was no question about alternatives to the code.

Anybody want to chime in and suggest NWE, which (in my opinion) is no better than mcCodes - Does anybody even have a game running live yet on NWE?

I always find it ironic when I see people who've made money working on mccode games, slating it so badly.

Because it is bad and outdated now

Bad in what sense? The code base is bad.

Sure, the code sucks, but with a little work, it's playable and easily modifiable.

Yep. Was never implied it's not.

I hope you get well soon! :(

Judging from the post, I'd say it's quite clear he knows what he wants - there was no question about alternatives to the code.

With experience comes options. [MENTION=65530]Coly010[/MENTION] was simply stating there are better products at the same, or cheaper, price.

Anybody want to chime in and suggest NWE, which (in my opinion) is no better than mcCodes - Does anybody even have a game running live yet on NWE?

None, I don't think. Why is it no better than McCodes? Please elaborate.

Because it is bad and outdated now

Can't speak for MTG's codes personally, as I haven't seen it. However I have heard it's pretty much in similar format to mcCodes, so possibly no better.

Panther is hardly maintained either, by the look of the last commit logs.

Bad in what sense? The code base is bad.

No, that wasn't in reference to the code, but more to the fact people will sit and scream across the forums that the code is piss poor, but the second they see a few dollars, they will roll around in said **** for days.

Yep. Was never implied it's not.

Indeed, it wasn't. However, on the basis that most game owners go in for the profit as their first priority, it makes perfect sense to jump in with MC code (Not that I recommend the code - I don't recomment any! I make more money from custom engines.) as all the patches are openly accessible, for the worst of the security issues.

Couple weeks and they are ready to do what they have set out to do.

I hope you get well soon!

Me too. Apparently there are no midget nurses in this hospital. Not good - I want midget nurses.

With experience comes options. @Coly010 was simply stating there are better products at the same, or cheaper, price.

Better is subjective. From us, as developers by profession (assuming you may be), cleaner code is better. For someone who's aim is to just boost their paypal account in the run up to christmas? Hell no. Theres far too much resources for the games across these boards.

For the latter, mc codes is a gold mine, if even short term.

None, I don't think. Why is it no better than McCodes? Please elaborate.

Would you like to state that NWE is decent code?

Just because I've been paid to work on it doesn't mean I'm not allowed to slate it. It's a terrible code base. I class myself as a developer, not a mccodes mod coder. Therein lies the difference. I've worked with other scripts, I've written my own. I can compare and create an opinion. But if a client is looking for work done on a specific script, be it mccodes or not, I'll do it, whether the code is horrible or not. The OP is looking for a code base to start his game, I can provide advice based on my experience working with other scripts.

If I classed myself as a Mccodes Mod Coder, I technically wouldn't be allowed to slate it, as I'm slating my primary business, thus making it ironic. But as a PHP Developer I'm not restricted.

Nah nah nah. The game you have running mccodes is never bad when you are profiting from it, nor is the money you make from working on other games that run mccodes. Mccodes itself is a bad script.

Yep, exactly, however it is very messy and you can be forced to repeat yourself a hell of a lot, unless you make most of your backend code and put it into a class or create functions and add it to the already overflowing global_funcs.php file.

There is nothing wrong with providing alternatives to someone so that they themselves can form an opinion on which ones suits their needs and is the most feasible option for them, taking into considering budget etc.

Not that I know of either.

EDIT

just noticed your reply to Robot. Basically counters and agrees with my points :P

Edited by Coly010

Mccodes is the only one I've worked on well that a lie but worked on the most,I used to have codes *fully reworked* that mccodes is basically unrecognizable it's the only one I feel confident using due to have much you re-work it into something better, I quit everything about 2 years ago since then I got a new PC, so starting fresh paying for what i can get done which I can't do myself so that's mostly graphic work.

Yes its far from the best out but its the one I feel more at ease using so if someone out there dose happen to have what I need please message me.

Again I'm open to help and suggestions.

Thanks for the mention - buy why pay?

[email protected]:Magictallguy/mtg-engine.git

Backticks give a 500% speed increase.

Nice touch:

DON'T BE A DICK PUBLIC LICENSE TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR COPYING, DISTRIBUTION AND MODIFICATION

Do whatever you like with the original work, just don't be a dick.

Being a dick includes - but is not limited to - the following instances:

1a. Outright copyright infringement - Don't just copy this and change the name.

1b. Selling the unmodified original with no work done what-so-ever, that's REALLY being a dick.

1c. Modifying the original work to contain hidden harmful content. That would make you a PROPER dick.

If you become rich through modifications, related works/services, or supporting the original work, share the love. Only a dick would make loads off this work and not buy the original works creator(s) a pint.

Code is provided with no warranty. Using somebody else's code and *****ing when it goes wrong makes you a DONKEY dick. Fix the problem yourself. A non-dick would submit the fix back

Edited by IllegalPigeon

They're open source as of about now.

Feel free to fork the repo and submit whatever back. I'll happily merge with improvements!

You forgot to include some of the databases. Like users_events, users_messages, and users table needs a row called last_seen. That's just what I've found so far.

You forgot to include some of the databases. Like users_events, users_messages, and users table needs a row called last_seen. That's just what I've found so far.

I noticed when I went back to developing it this morning, I've added the new tables, simply pull from the repo again

I should probably open my own topic about this at some point haha

My apologies to the OP, it was not my intention to nab your topic