MakeWebGames

Do you use linux?

Dayo

After a few threads today it got me wondering who used linux, if so what distributions do they use?

At work i use Arch Linux for my main development PC, the product we develop uses gentoo.

At home i have a computer running Ubuntu and another dual booting Arch+Windows (for gaming)

• Like 1

As my work horse I use a MBP, which to some extent feels like unix, although apparently it's a POSIX system, it did originate from the BSD family, therefore was originally a derivative of the unix family.

As I use it as a local host, with virtual hosts mapped all around it, running a lamp stack and various other libraries, it's as close to using a unix system without actually running a linux distro.

For work, we are using Ubuntu and occasionally Debian servers.

For personal stuff, online (VPN), I always use Ubuntu as it's the distro I have the most experience with.

I do, however, plan to branch out and use Centos and freeBSD systems at some point - time permitting, of course.

• 3 years later...

Let's revive an old thread and see if we got some additional adoption or voices.

I mainly use ubuntu for fast pacing environments and main own desktop OS, besides that CentOS is the other main choice for server deployments. Applications that require more 'stability' in terms for software updates and have a longer lifecycle will probably end up on CentOS.

Ofcourse, corporations really like RHEL which counts for 99% of the linux/unix deployments during office hours.

Edited by Nickson

I just got Ubuntu the other day. Im still figuring everything out. I it took me 3 days just to get my offline server fully working for php and mysql lol.... all thanks to @Magictallguy i finally got it working. So far i have a love hate for it but im going to continue to use it until it does not confuse me anymore then im going to decide if im going to keep it or not.

12 hours ago, Nickson said:

Let's revive an old thread and see if we got some additional adoption or voices.

I mainly use ubuntu for fast pacing environments and main own desktop OS, besides that CentOS is the other main choice for server deployments. Applications that require more 'stability' in terms for software updates and have a longer lifecycle will probably end up on CentOS.

Ofcourse, corporations really like RHEL which counts for 99% of the linux/unix deployments during office hours.

I’m a Fedora / CentOS guy myself! Much prefer it over the Debian flavours.

9 hours ago, Magictallguy said:

Running Ubuntu 18.10 myself. Considering checking out ElementaryOS (I'm told it's a pleasant user experience).

I actually used Elementary for a little while on my gaming PC, it’s pretty neat and overall a good experience. Shame it’s based on Debian eh.

1 minute ago, Dave said:

I actually used Elementary for a little while on my gaming PC, it’s pretty neat and overall a good experience. Shame it’s based on Debian eh.

Hey! I don't mind a Debian base for home/work usage!
Elementary's ok enough, but it's a little too "friendly" for my liking - I prefer to get into the nitty gritty of it. Compiling from source on something that doesn't feel like a Mac is a winner to me

Just now, Magictallguy said:

Hey! I don't mind a Debian base for home/work usage!
Elementary's ok enough, but it's a little too "friendly" for my liking - I prefer to get into the nitty gritty of it. Compiling from source on something that doesn't feel like a Mac is a winner to me

Yeah it’s trting to make Linux an option for the mainstream. Ubuntu still requires a fair amount of terminal usage so they tried to eliminate that.

I use a MacBook Pro day to day, I like to focus on my code rather than worrying about breaking my OS, like I always do when I’m running Linux. 

Just now, Dave said:

Yeah it’s trting to make Linux an option for the mainstream. Ubuntu still requires a fair amount of terminal usage so they tried to eliminate that.

I use a MacBook Pro day to day, I like to focus on my code rather than worrying about breaking my OS, like I always do when I’m running Linux. 

Eee, the amount of times I've managed to brick my drive installing something I shouldn't have done.
Ah well, each mistake is a lesson learned

1 hour ago, Dave said:

At work, I use a mac for that same reason - I have a habit of killing my ubuntu builds. I still run Mint at home though because - to be honest - if it breaks, I don't care. I'll rebuild.

1 hour ago, Magictallguy said:

Expensive lessons if it's lost production times. All that lost time/money,  you could have just bought a mac ?

6 minutes ago, SRB said:

At work, I use a mac for that same reason - I have a habit of killing my ubuntu builds. I still run Mint at home though because - to be honest - if it breaks, I don't care. I'll rebuild.

Expensive lessons if it's lost production times. All that lost time/money,  you could have just bought a mac ?

I code because I enjoy it. I'm not in it for the money, never have been (though it is nice to have xD)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dave said:

Nah it's no shame, it's a very solid base ? I use Ubuntu/Debian about as much as I use CentOS in my own projects. It just depends on the applications and needs it has.

Both have their uses and disadvantages.

6 hours ago, Dave said:

Like what? In all honesty, you can use the terminal if you'd like, but I wouldn't know what you'd still need to do in the terminal for most operations.
Everything has been either clickety click or plug and play for a while, at least that is my view on things. Maybe I just get to used to things. Either way, love the terminal, it's what I miss most on Windows ?

6 hours ago, Magictallguy said:

Eee, the amount of times I've managed to brick my drive installing something I shouldn't have done.

Stop breaking it then ?

Do you also try to fix your issues? It's where I learned most from.

17 hours ago, WarMad said:

I just got Ubuntu the other day. Im still figuring everything out. I it took me 3 days just to get my offline server fully working for php and mysql lol.... all thanks to @Magictallguy i finally got it working. So far i have a love hate for it but im going to continue to use it until it does not confuse me anymore then im going to decide if im going to keep it or not.

Just wondering @WarMad, where did you have most issues? Installing the software, configuring,.. ?

Edited by Nickson
  • Like 1

Welp, I use a variety of OS's - at work; a mix of Linux Mint/Ubuntu as my desktop, server architecture is generally Debian based, though I still run a number of CentOS boxes and I believe I have an old SlackWare box kicking around. For heavyweight production boxes I run BSD in a few places, and my current home OS of choice is Ubuntu with RDP to open up a window to various Windows boxes.

Personally, I find using Linux favourable for development work over Windows/Mac as I'm not fighting the OS all the time nor dealing with oddities introduced by the OS, and I can very quickly re-install it (< 10 minutes) if I seriously break something or just fancy a change.

I also keep a few virtual machines lying around, though there are some pretty obscure OS's in those.

Best advice for Linux installs (on personal kit anyway) - use an SSD for the OS, ideally an SSD for /home though an HDD will suffice, you can reinstall in no time and never lose anything as /home is on a separate partition/drive (unless of course you happen to execute one of the more serious commands - ask @SRB about that). Perform minimal installs where possible for speed and script the post-install procedure into a single shell script.

• Like 2

I've used Ubuntu (and Arch to an extent) extensively the past years, but I always found myself going back to Windows 10, due to the sheer amount of stability issues and app crashes in Linux.

Not necessarily related to the distro, but more with the various DEs and WMs I've been using, notably KDE and GNOME 3.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alan said:

@dave - Yup - and on a remote box rather than a home desktop.To be fair was was young, inexperienced and foolish in those days; now-a-days he's ... well ... ?

Tall, dark and handsome are the words you’re looking for.

• Haha 4