MakeWebGames

"Coding" or "Programming"

Yo,

Is there actually any correct way of saying "xxxx PHP" I personally think "programming PHP" sounds much better but when you talk about it you talk about the code, is it down to personal preferance? Or is there an actual correct way of saying "I code in PHP" or "I program in PHP".

Cheers

I guess "Scripting" would be the correct word, as PHP is a scripting language. Programming/Coding are used more often though, programming also sounds more professional than coding.

Scripting totally slipped my mind, though when I think of scripting it reminds me of LUA.

Whilst I see coding/programming and coder/programmer respectively almost every day, I prefer the terms 'developing'/'developer'.

As for there being a correct and incorrect way, I don't think so, it really ends with, does the person you're speaking to understand what a "php coder" or a "php programmer" is, if not try "web developer".

I think I'd say programming, just alone because it's closer to my native tongue. Truth be told though, I don't care about what one says. I care more about how you are doing it ;)

"I care about more about how you are doing it" Totally agree on that point :)

Whilst I see coding/programming and coder/programmer respectively almost every day, I prefer the terms 'developing'/'developer'.

As for there being a correct and incorrect way, I don't think so, it really ends with, does the person you're speaking to understand what a "php coder" or a "php programmer" is, if not try "web developer".

Hmm I understand your point on the developer, but developing something is farily vague, I mean you can develop anything but you can only program on a computer (I think?) if you understand?

I look at it like this;

Coding - Making things shorter, for example; Monday = Mon = M.

Therefore, I result to programming, as, in short, you're making a 'program' be it; desktop or web - to complete a task, be it; calculate or login script.

Scripting is the right word. PHP is not program based, you don't make programs for Operating Systems on it or for any device. So programming is the wrong word.

Unless you're making a program/application then you're not technically programming ;)

Coding is really more to do with encryption and password stuff. Like Morse code, but people blur the lines. But its not important! :D

You know there is phpWindows? ;) It alllows for people to make windows applications with php language.

Well thats a good point :P Though i do not see the logic in using PHP for a windows application, but i guess it shows PHP is evolving and improving ! But i can't imagine its as efficient as lower level languages unless it requires strict level PHP .

PHP is a programming language, these days.

One can make system utilities with PHP, one can create graphical front-ends with PHP(& GTK) and one can translate PHP into a compiled form(Hippo?).

The correct term is developer, for any web-based language.

Scripters: An informal term used when creating(hacking together) a small program/tool, such as a common system tool.

Developers: People using libraries to develop something.

Programmers: People who program those libraries.

(en)Coders: People who build the tools needed to do the above.

Example:

I developed an application to represent a GUI for administration.

I programmed an application to perform common tasks on the system.

I created an encoder to to translate system signals into input for my application.

I scripted a interface handler to identify my program as a daemon on the system.

That's just my two cents.