MakeWebGames

Multilingual

Dayo

Had an idea over the night, would anyone like the option to have more then one language, with this all you would have to do is include a file (eg en.php, de.php etc..) then with those files your users can choose a default they would like to use.

But i personaly couldent include the translations (unless i used google translate :P knew i should of listened in my german/french c lasses at school).

What do people think?

• Like 1

There is multiple problem about such plugins. Beside having the interface translated which is a first task, you will need to translate all the string you may have within the database like crims, or others. Finally, you may even have issues about chat or forums if the language is mixed. Honestly it's normally easier and better to have complete separated sites (which share maybe a same common code) for the different languages. Such that players in a given "server" or "world" know that they can speak with each others in a given language.

I agree with what AB has said if you're talking about games that is. For games it's easier, on every level, to keep 1 language per world or server. If you're talking about wikis, help sites, or even business sites that require a low amount of interactivity you could combine that. Some people might like that feature, of course, as it certainly is a good idea. The question is just, how far are you willing to go to do it properly? and how far people can go management wise over those languages...

Well ATM I can easily do it so that the admin can add one file and be able to change the language across the whole game, so if they wanted there site to be in german only it would be just a quick file upload.

So basically it will change the engine language, but none of the content. Which means it's easier to translate to a new language but that's about it. Well I believe it's a good idea and actually it would make sense to have it included in the main engine code ;) (CB / Dabs ?)

i agree with a_bertrand i speak french and i always play in french when the game offer it. Look all great game have different server per language. Imagine now a spanish guy want trade item with a french guy, little complicated loll

Well I have been working on converting ruler of zu into using a language system and came up with the idea that game message system could incorporated google translate. Now I know google translate is not anywhere near 100% accurate but its readable.

For example you have your language set to french. Player b has theirs set to Spanish. Player B sends you a message. Script checks your language can see it is set to french so auto translates the message. So when you reply it auto checks their end converts to spanish.

Job done.

Things such as forums will be difficult but you can have a seperate spanish, french forum or they can reply in english or whatever is the base language.

I really think it depends on the language. Some are significantly more way of the mark than others.

My thoughts on this would be that it can be disabled at any time in the message system. So the menu etc can be still in the end users language but the message system can be in either their language or the games main language.

I have players from across europe, north & south america. The feedback from them is that they would probably use their language for the game so menu etc but keep interaction with other players in english

Well if you translate single words then it mainly works. If you try to translate sentences it will produce hard to understand or even completely wrong translations. Knowing English, French, Italian and German myself I made many trials, and honestly it's by far not acceptable in my opinion.

Well I have been working on converting ruler of zu into using a language system and came up with the idea that game message system could incorporated google translate. Now I know google translate is not anywhere near 100% accurate but its readable.

For example you have your language set to french. Player b has theirs set to Spanish. Player B sends you a message. Script checks your language can see it is set to french so auto translates the message. So when you reply it auto checks their end converts to spanish.

Job done.

Things such as forums will be difficult but you can have a seperate spanish, french forum or they can reply in english or whatever is the base language.

i dont think is a great idee, when i see a website use google translate i try to take original version in english because french is a complicat language then translation have alwais big mistake and no sens text. If you want to make many language i think best idee will be language file, but i have try it in a dating website and i have erase it because french people dont want talk with english people. For my game i start it in english ( 80% people speak english ) after if the game work i gona make it in french.

• 5 months later...

The problem, as mentioned is that Google mainly translates the words, not the grammer in use.

eg.

"Die tuin word tans in gespeel deur die baba." - "The garden is currently being played by the baby."

It should be: "The garden is currently being played in by the baby."

Most people do not use proper English when writing content for a game, thus it does not translate correctly.

• 8 years later...
On 6/8/2011 at 9:32 AM, Dayo said:

Had an idea over the night, would anyone like the option to have more then one language, with this all you would have to do is include a file (eg en.php, de.php etc..) then with those files your users can choose a default they would like to use.

But i personaly couldent include the translations (unless i used google translate 😛 knew i should of listened in my german/french c lasses at school).

What do people think?

I would like to ask, is this still in progress? 

• 11 months later...