MakeWebGames

Multilingual

Dayo

20 hours ago, Dayo said:

This is one rabbit hole I’m not quite ready to go down right now as AB said several years ago there is a lot to translate, the hardest bit would be the database translations for things like crime names 

You could explore the option from google to translate every little sentence according user's preferences, a lot of improvement has been done in the past 10 years on the translations and if base language is English, translations don't come out as bad as they used to. 😉

8 hours ago, Lithium said:

You could explore the option from google to translate every little sentence according user's preferences, a lot of improvement has been done in the past 10 years on the translations and if base language is English, translations don't come out as bad as they used to. 😉

Loving the "as bad as they used to" bit ... all sites need some of that I'm thinking. 😂

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2021 at 4:02 AM, CrazyElk said:

Loving the "as bad as they used to" bit ... all sites need some of that I'm thinking. 😂

Come on... from the early days of Google translate? Believe me, It is at least 1000 times better. Problem is Base language still has to be English if you do want a "kinda" fair translation.

6 hours ago, Lithium said:

Come on... from the early days of Google translate? Believe me, It is at least 1000 times better. Problem is Base language still has to be English if you do want a "kinda" fair translation.

@Lithium... I believe you misunderstand my comment, I'm not suggesting that Google Translate has not improved over time, it has.

The salient point, is your advocating the use of this feature to facilitate a multi lingual site  all the while suggesting it comes out less than good.

Any webmaster with a forward facing presence on the WWW who is inherently happy with translations that "don't come out as bad as they used to" is saying to me their happy with something that "kinda" works as part of their efforts.

I guess anyone developing a game that "kinda" works will be pleased to adopt it but I have to ask why develop along those lines, using a feature that by your own admission is presently,  inherently flawed? 

Hence my tongue in cheek, somewhat facetious initial first remark. 🙂

Edited by CrazyElk

3 hours ago, Magictallguy said:

Community-driven translations from native speakers!
Use constants, arrays, a database; whatever gets you valid translations in context.

I believe this to be the only real solution going forward but it is a long road to hoe at the same time.

I work in a support capacity for a company that has sold perhaps 1200 copies of a relatively complex piece of software and because there were numerous requests to translate it to something other than English the developers relented and offered that ability using principally those methods mentioned above by Magictallguy.

Problem was/is that its a vast undertaking to offer the ability to translate every little text string that renders in English to another language and believe me, if EVERYTHING does not render in the new language then there WILL be a deluge of complaints and support requests the likes of which you have never seen before, and thats from the purchasers of the soft alone, forgetting about any input the end users (tens of thousands in this case) may wish to contribute.

Someone going down this road may well open a can of worms they wish they had not. 🙂

Edited by CrazyElk

On 6/30/2021 at 10:18 PM, Dayo said:

This is one rabbit hole I’m not quite ready to go down right now as AB said several years ago there is a lot to translate, the hardest bit would be the database translations for things like crime names 

I'm Portuguese I could help you translate into Portuguese, or you could use Google translate.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...