MakeWebGames

What id like to see in V3

Uridium

Taking the structure of v2 id like to see these implemented into the v3 version...

1 = Account Logs.

An updated system that will Log everything a user does in the game from buying selling training ip conflicts

2 = An easy to use version that can be adapted for mobile phone use at the click of a button.

3 = A better system as to not keep showing DIE pages

4 = An updated system that from the admin page a new Mod can be added easily and set up once script it uploaded...

5 = Pages that can be controled from admin panel to be closed or opened when needed...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 = a must IMO would be an emulator for mccodes V2 mods

7 = an easier template system as it puzzles many new coders

8 = better admin panel (mainly navigation)

9 = move away from tables and the torn style

10 = some thing simple here have 2 style sheets 1 for the header and one for the page to page styles so that when you make a new theme you don't have to code and remember all the individual page CSS

11 = allow the admin to upload multiple themes and allow him/her to choose what one they would like

12 = prevent cheating via multiple IPs

I'll reply to the ideas which aren't just straightforward/obvious - if I don't reply to something, it should definitely be in.

1 = Account Logs.

An updated system that will Log everything a user does in the game from buying selling training ip conflicts

This will probably done with customizable levels of logging. However, note that for big games a system like this would get very big very fast in terms of storage usage, as said logs would have to be stored in text due to the number of different actions that users can perform.

2 = An easy to use version that can be adapted for mobile phone use at the click of a button.

This really comes down to the skinning system we have behind it. We do aim to release the code with a mobile-friendly skin included if possible.

3 = A better system as to not keep showing DIE pages

Customized error pages will be in where possible. Note that at certain stages in the code they won't be able to be shown (eg. if database connection can't be made) and so a more generic die() page will be shown.

4 = An updated system that from the admin page a new Mod can be added easily and set up once script it uploaded...

This is possible with clearly defined mod standards. We'll be considering this one, it has a lot of potential to go wrong but also a lot of positive aspects.

5 = Pages that can be controled from admin panel to be closed or opened when needed...

This one should definitely be in. Are you referring to customized HTML pages, or closing/opening game functions? We intend to have both though.

6 = a must IMO would be an emulator for mccodes V2 mods

This will be possible to an extent. Mods that mostly stand on their own (like for example a Poker game) will be able to be emulated, but ones that modify core files will obviously not be viable.

There are also quite a few badly-made mods out there, and we're not 100% sure if we want to support their use in future versions of the codes! But the well-made mods will probably cause this feature to be in anyway.

7 = an easier template system as it puzzles many new coders

Will be in, allowing coding the features and coding the look/feel to be seperated. This should help out many teams.

8 = better admin panel (mainly navigation)

Some more specific insight into what you want to see here would be nice, but we do aim to have the admin interface be user friendly.

9 = move away from tables and the torn style

This comes down to the skinning engine again - we intend to, with the use of skin bits, allow users to format the data on the page how they want. We will try to ensure that the default style has a smart look to it.

10 = some thing simple here have 2 style sheets 1 for the header and one for the page to page styles so that when you make a new theme you don't have to code and remember all the individual page CSS

We hadn't thought of that - it does sound like a good idea. This should make its way in, although not every page would have its own styles due to simplicity.

11 = allow the admin to upload multiple themes and allow him/her to choose what one they would like

Skinning system as above. There will be some issues with mods however - skins may not have defined skinbits for the mods you install, and then what?

12 = prevent cheating via multiple IPs

This one is difficult for sure. We can attempt to provide facilities for finding users that log in/out in a sequence, but it is very easy for cheaters to switch up their tactics and much harder for us to detect new ones.

13 = Security

14 = Clean coding

These two are definitely an integral part of the new codes - no point releasing them without these.

15 = To help some people out, put some comments along side some code explaining what it does

Will be done as is appropriate. We are trying to move away from people having to make huge modifications to the core codes of the engine though.

14, Id love to see v3 have anti meta / bot built in .... not just capcha

We will attempt to implement some anti-bot measures beyond CAPTCHA, but using CAPTCHAs is important also as it filters would-be attackers down to those who have the skill or connections to automate their cracking.

15, Suspicious activity logs ...

Defining suspicious activity down to individual game actions is difficult. But we will probably log some of the more obvious ones, such as users trying to enter negative numbers into the "send currency" section.

More suggestions and/or replies to my feedback would be much appreciated. All of this helps us release a better engine in the long run.

Customized error pages will be in where possible. Note that at certain stages in the code they won't be able to be shown (eg. if database connection can't be made) and so a more generic die() page will be shown.

There is things called error handlers/exceptions/trigger_error() even, die() shouldn't be used in that situation now.

By the staff panel I meant an easier to navigate menu as the one arm you have to scroll down for ages to find the option you would like, I released a free mod ages ago I'll update it tonight with the one I use ATM (only 5 lines of JS and a function so a much rundown version plus it's alot easier to add custom menu items)

In reply to no 4:

For this to properbly work, the whole modification structure will have to be adapted.

The thing about an "auto installer", is that it normally works by XML. Within the XML document there are rules defined to what should be replaced, added or removed.

That is the totally easy part, but the next part, the security aspect of it is allot more complex.

A modification should have set permissions to what it can alter to the environment it runs in. A simple scenario of this would be:

Take your OS for instance, imagine if it were allowed to modify the kernel, or even other applications memory or even the hardware drivers itself. This would be so catastrophic to the WHOLE system. PS, much like there's a reason Windows Updates are only allowed through the OS itself, or IE.

Much like a virus, but there wouldn't be much that can be done to prevent it. A simple regex search wouldn't work, no. You would have to manually define each file and database item that is not allowed to be changed. This could go horribly wrong if not done to the exact strict.

This is very much possible though, but all the modifications would have to be adapted or completely rewritten.

Sounds to me like you are taking our suggestions into consideration, and I appreciate that greatly! It sounds like V3 is something I am going to want as long as this community continues to make suggestions and improve Mccodes and the good suggestions get implemented..

By this i mean if there is a Problem on any pages it can be closed from admin panel instead of having to edit files send back to FTP then edit files again and resend when page has been fixed...

A simple dbase with with page names and switches could do this.... Granted each file would also need the IF statement...... but get it donw now whilst its still new then when we add pages it wont be as much of a hassle later...

By this i mean if there is a Problem on any pages it can be closed from admin panel instead of having to edit files send back to FTP then edit files again and resend when page has been fixed...

A simple dbase with with page names and switches could do this.... Granted each file would also need the IF statement...... but get it donw now whilst its still new then when we add pages it wont be as much of a hassle later...

We made this in MCCodes v2 already, although I'm not sure if it's in the version we distribute. Might've been in one of the test versions now that I think of it.

Either way, it'll definitely be present.

By the staff panel I meant an easier to navigate menu as the one arm you have to scroll down for ages to find the option you would like, I released a free mod ages ago I'll update it tonight with the one I use ATM (only 5 lines of JS and a function so a much rundown version plus it's alot easier to add custom menu items)

On our game MonoDistrict we have an admin panel with tabs representing the different categories of admin functions (Users, Logs, Content Management etc). MCCodes v3 will probably ship with something similar.

In my opinion as long as it's protected a lot more from people just passing it around i would be happy. Well that and secure,clean code,better interface etc. You should consider putting things like crystal names (assuming you're going that way) in an variable so people can change them quickly and easily. The gangs need improving so vassals, defence pacts alliances and something to stop massive gangs just dominating the game may help. Economy control somehow so you can take 10% of money away from everyone in a click, not sure the users would like it but may help some people. To many resets due to high a economy.

• 1 month later...

These two are definitely an integral part of the new codes - no point releasing them without these.

^ referring to security and clean coding...

I'm curious how do you intend on tackling any security issues your script may encounter (after release of main MC V3.0.

A small suggestion, i am releasing my game engine early next year and i came up with the idea of alerting valid users in their Admin panel.

Simply they connect to my website via their login/password (which they got the script under) and it will tell them if there is any new bugs which may have been found and if so it will have the file available for download immediately or even the replace instructions for specific parts of the code.

I would love to see MC atleast try this idea (yeah im sharing my idea) first to see how available they are to suggestions, i am 100% sure when the script is released you will have more than 3 people on your team which would then possibly give a great advantage to your customers on beating the hackers.

Personally i think at this point in time you should have more than 3 team members working on the script which would increase the time of making it and the efficiency of your code. Although too many cooks in the kitchen spoil the soup.

Illusions i already interrogated something similar to CG which will be in my engine on release (im referring to the close pages (under construction and so on)).

Lilith it is rather difficult to catch members who cheat using multiple IPS on different accounts but really it's 1 member with 3 accounts and all 3 are active (if they send all their money all the time to the first member then it's obvious they are cheating).

Illusions i haven't actually coded up a log system yet on CG but CG does have a amazing twist to why. (not spoiling it though)

Also i have a few of the other ideas already interrogated into CG also.

I intend on making my engine a rival of MC v3 but i do wish you all the best in your release, good luck.

A small suggestion, i am releasing my game engine early next year and i came up with the idea of alerting valid users in their Admin panel.

Simply they connect to my website via their login/password (which they got the script under) and it will tell them if there is any new bugs which may have been found and if so it will have the file available for download immediately or even the replace instructions for specific parts of the code.

RSS feed from your main website into the admin panel would achieve this. Nice easy compact way to provide announcements by links to your website. That way you control those that are allowed to download the patches. They have to have registered on the website to be able to access the patch.

Lets face it software is cracked all the time and not one system is foolproof therefore its more about making sure your legit members have access and others do not.

Actually i was thinking maybe iframe (auto login to account on website) and straight to the news page or updates or maybe even pull the data from the browser page (easier). although RSS is a good idea but easier the way im suggesting because then none members will see it RSS way but only buyers will see the updates in the way im suggesting.

Cracked software yeah, simple provention would be to put some kind of ip check on the customers accounts so if they change ips regularly and download the script alot contact the original email or information asking them why, also a good idea would be to make customers verify their accounts before buying scripts (not just paypal but maybe phone verification) so then you have something you can get them with if it turns into a law suit.

phone companies keep records of registers.

hey all i would like to see is some Buisness/company mods like torncity and that from admin panel you can make new company/buisness edit them make specials and that shiiz, thanks

junz

p.s im leaning php its kinda confusing, boring and hard but i have to learn it ;(