MakeWebGames

Rcengine & icecoldcola

jcvenom

I was going to create a thread, I was going to make one simply to put an idea across, would it not be easier instead of creating a massive system regarding people using the engine without actually buying it, why not do this. Have a table which stores users who have bought your engine, upon buying the engine generate a serial key which is counted as their product code. Once they have actually set their game up you run a script from your server which updates the db so that said license key is no longer available for use. Have a feature which then allows people to close (delete their full game unlink()), once they do that, run a remote script which then allows them to use the license again.

Edit #1:

Then you can have a simple feature which check serial code and provides you with details, so name of the owner, or the URL of the site and if the actual license key currently in use. Also you could use it to check the validity of a game, if the result return no serial key or game owner that means it's fake.

Funny you say that :P it already does that as advised by illusions :) I will be keeping that in!

I have got most the installer working.

I have 1 tiny issue which i will sort.

Lets say for instance someone makes a mod which reuqires replacing a piece of code:

Example

for($i = 0; $i<count($sumat); $i++) {

echo $i;

}

i want to replace it for

for($i = 0; $i<count($sumatelse); $i++) {

echo "this is an interval: ".$i;

}

At the moment this won't work as i have came to find that it replace one line of a file only per replace.

So i now need to find a way to replace multi line scripts. I don't think it will be hard to work out, infact i think i may have cracked it. But once that is done the engine won't take much longer guys! :)

Funny you say that :P it already does that as advised by illusions :) I will be keeping that in!

I have got most the installer working.

Well I don't really remember if anything else in the previous thread mentioned this but my post about giving people the source code still stands because it still won't stop people from having illegal copies. In order for you to check a license the script must send a request of some sort to you, now if one was smart and they had an illegal copy they can just go in and simply delete all request to your site before even installing their game.

Take me a look at NWE for example, illusions and I went through the source code and deleted all requests to verify the license key which does not break the engine l, it just makes it look ugly by saying this is an unlicensed copy which could also be deleted. Now where Alain went right was his marketplace. In order to use the marketplace you had to have a particular license in order to check your versions, update, or download modules from the market.

But even then, if someone has a buddy then they can just get the modules from them :p

Well I don't really remember if anything else in the previous thread mentioned this but my post about giving people the source code still stands because it still won't stop people from having illegal copies. In order for you to check a license the script must send a request of some sort to you, now if one was smart and they had an illegal copy they can just go in and simply delete all request to your site before even installing their game.

Take me a look at NWE for example, illusions and I went through the source code and deleted all requests to verify the license key which does not break the engine l, it just makes it look ugly by saying this is an unlicensed copy which could also be deleted. Now where Alain went right was his marketplace. In order to use the marketplace you had to have a particular license in order to check your versions, update, or download modules from the market.

But even then, if someone has a buddy then they can just get the modules from them :p

To use the installer on this engine the person will have to signup and send over a key. So the only way around that is to get the mods off other people after they have installed them. Which is possible. But it would be unconvenient as hell lol.

So dont ask me how..... But i managed to make the auto install work correctly. It has took me since my last post LOL. I got so stuck i asked for advice on stack overflow lmao. But nobody could help me and all said i was crazy if i thought i could pull this off using just PHP. But i have done it :D Now a member of the community can add a snippet of code to find in a certain file, and tell it what it needs to be replaced with. Create files and dump the script into them and also add the SQL's. Also they can add new functions to the function file. So basically it is literally an auto installer for mods and updates :D Im so hyped about letting people have a mess with this engine!!!

Also they can add new functions to the function file

Just from that it seems like you have no real architecture behind the engine. "Shove everything into a functions file" ughh

How would you build a licence checker? i dont get how it work and how i would check a site for a licence key
A license checker isn't hard at all. MCC has one along with NWE.

I'm fairly sure the MCC one is just them checking their own database to see if any account is linked to the site. Nothing being checked externally that way, and they already had the data for an engine that was being used by people already.

For the source encryption you need a balance. Lock people out of a key part of the engine that isn’t going to be changed by anyone and/or could only be changed by the original creator. For example with MCC they could have locked the basic energy/will crons, the IPN.php, and all the files that update the engine from the staff panel(no mcc doesn’t actually auto update...but an engine should). If at any time a check comes back as the site doesn’t have a license they would be informed. The fact is with this kind of system you’re mainly trying to discourage either inexperienced/younger developers or lazy people who don’t want to pay for anything. A broken site will soon have them moving on.

Anyone experienced will probably be able to crack the encryption no matter what the level is. Unless you’re specifically trying to keep control of everything (like mafia creator for example) encrypting everything isn’t a good plan. It limits legitimate buyers. Good customer service, and a compelling update schedule will have people buying the engine.

Edited by Dominion

Well im sure i dont want multiple files when you only need one. A function file. =/

Generally you should (if possible) split functions in to logical classes which fit each purpose, and not just cram them in to one file. It might seem like more work, but the long run it'll be better for you and other developers which may join you to work on the engine.

Generally you should (if possible) split functions in to logical classes which fit each purpose, and not just cram them in to one file. It might seem like more work, but the long run it'll be better for you and other developers which may join you to work on the engine.

Oh yeh functions that are only used in a certain file go in that file it's self. Global functions like sending events etc, go into a function file to include to each page.

Oh yeh functions that are only used in a certain file go in that file it's self. Global functions like sending events etc, go into a function file to include to each page.

So your not planning on using any programming models such as MVC? Your still thinking like how MCC was developed, in the long run your code will become harder to maintain, split things up give the app some air so to speak. I also assume your either a) going to use mysql or b) Have a crappy wrapper for PDO. Start using composer, get some of the awesome packages available out there to enhance your engine, use WYSIWYG, use an ORM.

I generally hate how many standards there are, oh use OO, use PSR-x or whatever, but in the long run they make sense. Despite some being a little annoying. Hell branch out and start with a framework such as SF or Laravel and then build your engine on that.

So your not planning on using any programming models such as MVC? Your still thinking like how MCC was developed, in the long run your code will become harder to maintain, split things up give the app some air so to speak. I also assume your either a) going to use mysql or b) Have a crappy wrapper for PDO. Start using composer, get some of the awesome packages available out there to enhance your engine, use WYSIWYG, use an ORM.

I generally hate how many standards there are, oh use OO, use PSR-x or whatever, but in the long run they make sense. Despite some being a little annoying. Hell branch out and start with a framework such as SF or Laravel and then build your engine on that.

If thats something you are into then maybe you could make an engine using those languages. I have knowlege on them but when i sell an engine to a completely new scripter who has barely learnt HTML he would have no idea what he is looking at. I would prefer to keep things simple in the engine it's self so as to save putting new scripters off.

If thats something you are into then maybe you could make an engine using those languages. I have knowlege on them but when i sell an engine to a completely new scripter who has barely learnt HTML he would have no idea what he is looking at. I would prefer to keep things simple in the engine it's self so as to save putting new scripters off.

I don't think you fully understand what they're either. MVC (Model View Controller) isn't a programming language, it is an architecture used to structure code in way that it splits business logic and views etc. PSR is a coding standard (which I've personally adopted too), OO stands for Object Oriented. I personally never really read up on ORM but know it stands for Object Relational Mapping and has something to do with converting incompatible data to compatible(?). [MENTION=70674]ArchEclipse[/MENTION] was simply mentioning some good techniques to ensure that your code remains readable, usable and maintainable by other (more experienced) developers.

I don't think you fully understand what they're either. MVC (Model View Controller) isn't a programming language, it is an architecture used to structure code in way that it splits business logic and views etc. PSR is a coding standard (which I've personally adopted too), OO stands for Object Oriented. I personally never really read up on ORM but know it stands for Object Relational Mapping and has something to do with converting incompatible data to compatible(?). [MENTION=70674]ArchEclipse[/MENTION] was simply mentioning some good techniques to ensure that your code remains readable, usable and maintainable by other (more experienced) developers.

I know what they are but i wish to aim my engine at anyone wanting to learn. When i sell my other engines the first question i get is "Is it easy to use". Which i reply yes it is simply PHP, which everyone is familiar with. To then receive messages asking what echo means... lol. So i would prefer to just keep with php for my engine and maybe who knows i will make a more advanced engine later in time for the ones who stuck with it and learnt more about development.

[MENTION=69670]Script47[/MENTION] http://laravel.com/docs/4.2/eloquent or google Doctrine.

But the thing is you can do most of this stuff without using laravel. By building your own classes. For instance:

class User extends Eloquent {

protected $table = 'my_users';

}

is just

class user {

function userinfo($id, $fetch) {

//here you fetch what you need and bring it back as an array.

}

}

Lets take this for instance

$user = User::find(1);

$user->email = '[email protected]';

$user->save();

-----------------------------------------

fetching the email (if you need it for any reason)

$usr['email'] = $user->(1, 'email');

updating the email

$usr['email'] = '[email protected]';

$sql->("UPDATE `users` SET `email` = '".$usr['email']."' WHERE `userid` = '1'");

Well regardless if [MENTION=69762]RCengineOwner[/MENTION] uses his mostly his code OR an already built framework, [MENTION=69762]RCengineOwner[/MENTION] keeps saying its for newbies, [MENTION=69762]RCengineOwner[/MENTION] should at least teach some proper techniques. =0

Well regardless if [MENTION=69762]RCengineOwner[/MENTION] uses his mostly his code OR an already built framework, [MENTION=69762]RCengineOwner[/MENTION] keeps saying its for newbies, [MENTION=69762]RCengineOwner[/MENTION] should at least teach some proper techniques. =0

It's not strictly for newbies. Just PHP is 100% one of the easiest languages for new comers to learn.

With PHP neither MVC or OOP are standards that need to be followed. They are good practice, but it's not C#, and is nowhere near the level of that kind of language in regards to OO.

MVC is a valid option, however I would also suggest you give the following thread a look at. It's worth a read - http://makewebgames.io/showthread.php/43178-MVC-or-not-MVC

There is nothing wrong with either using PDO or mysqli extensions for the database. The way Mccodes did it was lazy, but I'm not really seeing your point on it being a bad idea in general.

Standards are there for a reason, but again, PHP is not a programming language but a scripting one. By all means following rules and use MVC and do everything using OOP but I would ask if your project wouldn't be better off using another language all together.

As for your last point about using a Framework for this project, an engine is basically a framework for you to build a game off. Why would someone use one already out there? Building it from scratch (well planned with structure of course) is probably a better option in my opinion.

Edited by Dominion