MakeWebGames

Rcengine & icecoldcola

jcvenom

Ive just read the recent thread about the last edition of the "RCENGINE" im speechless tbh, I thought i came across cocky at time but, icecoldcola's cockiness is another level, personally i wouldn't purchase an engine like this, the fact that i have to 100% rely on you and i don't get the full engine, isn't worth my while i don't even see how all this will work :confused: like is it even possible for this? he also claims he's icecoldcola and begins to judge others coding ability, that's not cool. I'm not as brilliant as you i'm only 17 but i think you idea will fail and go down to courts sorry i mean this whole encryption idea is going to far like your going to pay more out of your pocket than what you'll probably make, like coly said you've lost potential customers.

I just don't see this working at all, no matter what server you have hahah. Look at TC, there multiple attack system couldn't work properly for there competition (Kill a user who has 1mil life) and multiple people attack and the server couldn't handle the requests. I wish you the best but i have many doubts about your so called idea. I just don't see it working 100% you can't even modify the engine and it looks like these developers are more experienced that most coder here so how does that make your engine user friendly for those who would like to add or modify the engine? The point of owning a game is to make it unique, im sure you could argue against this point because there are many games that have the same features and look the same but why would i pay for modifications that everyone will have (You say your engine auto updates)? I'll be honest i don't know how this would work and i honestly couldn't build this

Edited by jcvenom

Ive just read the recent thread about the last edition of the "RCENGINE" im speechless tbh, I thought i came across cocky at time but, icecoldcola's cockiness is another level, personally i wouldn't purchase an engine like this, the fact that i have to 100% rely on you and i don't get the full engine, isn't worth my while i don't even see how all this will work :confused: like is it even possible for this? he also claims he's icecoldcola and begins to judge others coding ability, that's not cool. I'm not as brilliant as you i'm only 17 but i think you idea will fail and go down to courts sorry i mean this whole encryption idea is going to far like your going to pay more out of our pocket than what you'll probably make, like coly said you've lost potential customers.

I just don't see this working at all, no matter what server you have hahah. Look at TC, there multiple attack system couldn't work properly for there competition (Kill a user who has 1mil life) and multiple people attack and the server couldn't handle the requests. I wish you the best but i have many doubts about your so called idea. I just don't see it working 100% you can't even modify the engine and it looks like these developers are more experienced that most coder here so how does that make your engine user friendly for those who would like to add or modify the engine? The point of owning a game is to make it unique, im sure you could argue against this point because there are many games that have the same features and look the same but why would i pay for modifications that everyone will have (You say your engine auto updates)? I'll be honest i don't know how this would work and i honestly couldn't build this

Hey man, I get that he came across cocky in like two of his posts in that thread, but you don't go and make a new thread to slander him. If you really wanted to say something to him, or say this to him anyway, you should have sent it in a private message.

He said that developers will be able to make modifications? And if you gave him the chance he would have been able to explain that there are plans to release a free core version of the script, which is unencrypted allowing developers to make modifications for the engine. Storing certain things on a remote server can have its benefits although I'll admit the server will need to be top class to handle the requests, but if requests are split between two servers, surely that will cut down the resources being used by each server allowing for faster processing?

Also, I never said he has lost potential customers, I said he "could" have lost potential customers, there's a difference.

Plus if you knew the reasoning behind why he has decided to encrypt part of his code, you would sympathise and respect his decision to do it, although now he's having second thoughts about it because of people here.

Good Job MWG users, you've successfully managed to make another user second guess and doubt their ideas and creations.

Also, the engine auto updates so that any exploits that one dev finds can be fixed for all the users of this engine. To me, thats a brilliant idea, an exploit is being fixed for you for no extra cost.

And if you wonder how something like that would work, you only need to look at the Mccodes Installer to get a general idea. It writes a database and a few files straight from the php code.

I'm pretty sure the update system will do exactly that, except it will basically copy and overwrite files from one server to the other.

[MENTION=69762]RCengineOwner[/MENTION] I wish you every luck with your product and hope it goes well for you.

Hey man, I get that he came across cocky in like two of his posts in that thread, but you don't go and make a new thread to slander him. If you really wanted to say something to him, or say this to him anyway, you should have sent it in a private message.

He said that developers will be able to make modifications? And if you gave him the chance he would have been able to explain that there are plans to release a free core version of the script, which is unencrypted allowing developers to make modifications for the engine. Storing certain things on a remote server can have its benefits although I'll admit the server will need to be top class to handle the requests, but if requests are split between two servers, surely that will cut down the resources being used by each server allowing for faster processing?

Also, I never said he has lost potential customers, I said he "could" have lost potential customers, there's a difference.

Plus if you knew the reasoning behind why he has decided to encrypt part of his code, you would sympathise and respect his decision to do it, although now he's having second thoughts about it because of people here.

Good Job MWG users, you've successfully managed to make another user second guess and doubt their ideas and creations.

Also, the engine auto updates so that any exploits that one dev finds can be fixed for all the users of this engine. To me, thats a brilliant idea, an exploit is being fixed for you for no extra cost.

And if you wonder how something like that would work, you only need to look at the Mccodes Installer to get a general idea. It writes a database and a few files straight from the php code.

I'm pretty sure the update system will do exactly that, except it will basically copy and overwrite files from one server to the other.

[MENTION=69762]RCengineOwner[/MENTION] I wish you every luck with your product and hope it goes well for you.

Oooooh :/ I 100% understand now, i didnt mean to slander him in anyway but yes it is a good idea sorry if i caused any mischief

• Like 1

Hey thanks Coly :) Thank you for our private chat aswell! It ment a lot to get some friendly advice. I have decided that the encryption will be dropped and i will be including the files directly into the engine files (zip).

As much as it worries me i have come up with another plan to help prevent illegal copies which will require a good honest community! :) I decided i will add a domain checkup tool on the community site where people can scan a domain for authentication. If they hold no license they would then get the option to report it :) Of course this is not as much of a hold over my scripts where abouts but it does give developers the freedom to completely change the engine to a game they enjoy owning and can see their own creations come to life with complete ease :) I will also be adding a documentation still to help new coming developers get grips with the variable meanings aswel as functions.

Also i would like to say i appreciate the support! I always remember those that are good to me ;)

You didn't mean to slander him in anyway? Are you serious? If you didn't want to slander him, there was no point in the post itself. However, you decided to and you went about it all the wrong way (choice of words, calling him cocky, etc). Unbelievable. And please, for the love of God, put some '.'s in your sentences. It makes it hard to read and take serious.

Hey thanks Coly :) Thank you for our private chat aswell! It ment a lot to get some friendly advice. I have decided that the encryption will be dropped and i will be including the files directly into the engine files (zip).

As much as it worries me i have come up with another plan to help prevent illegal copies which will require a good honest community! :) I decided i will add a domain checkup tool on the community site where people can scan a domain for authentication. If they hold no license they would then get the option to report it :) Of course this is not as much of a hold over my scripts where abouts but it does give developers the freedom to completely change the engine to a game they enjoy owning and can see their own creations come to life with complete ease :) I will also be adding a documentation still to help new coming developers get grips with the variable meanings aswel as functions.

Also i would like to say i appreciate the support! I always remember those that are good to me ;)

No problem, it annoys me when people try to slander others (intentionally or unintentionally, i'm not getting into a debate about it) without knowing the full story, and after talking to you privately I can see that your post or two on the other thread does not reflect the sort of person you are.

I think this will improve sales tremendously! I just viewed your previous idea the people essentially purchasing your support, so the people never really own the engine but more like rent it. Im glad you changed it, and sorry i blew up on you i realize i was completely out of line, but those were my honest opinion. I suppose i could have done it in a more respectful manner but the past is the past. Hopefully we can get over this and perhaps do business one day.

• Like 1

I think this will improve sales tremendously! I just viewed your previous idea the people essentially purchasing your support, so the people never really own the engine but more like rent it. Im glad you changed it, and sorry i blew up on you i realize i was completely out of line, but those were my honest opinion. I suppose i could have done it in a more respectful manner but the past is the past. Hopefully we can get over this and perhaps do business one day.

Thanks Gamble :) Unfortunatelly everyone has different views on alomst every subject in this world. Resulting in events as bad as world wars haha :P I would also like to say sorry for my cocky remarks and hope one day we can do some work together of some kind. In response to Jcvenom about how the updates work. They will search and replace strings in your script, add functions to a reserved section of your function file (same for installing mods) and also add or alter tables on your database. Also i would like to assure people that all submitted modifications will be checked for malicious scripts. Also a auto backup system will be in place. So if you install a third party modification and it damages your game in any way you can go back to previous state via the staff panel :)

I was going to create a thread, I was going to make one simply to put an idea across, would it not be easier instead of creating a massive system regarding people using the engine without actually buying it, why not do this. Have a table which stores users who have bought your engine, upon buying the engine generate a serial key which is counted as their product code. Once they have actually set their game up you run a script from your server which updates the db so that said license key is no longer available for use. Have a feature which then allows people to close (delete their full game unlink()), once they do that, run a remote script which then allows them to use the license again.

Edit #1:

Then you can have a simple feature which check serial code and provides you with details, so name of the owner, or the URL of the site and if the actual license key currently in use. Also you could use it to check the validity of a game, if the result return no serial key or game owner that means it's fake.

Edited by Script47

I was going to create a thread, but not about his "cockiness" or anything else (I'm not too fussed), I was going to make one simply asking something, would it not be easier instead of creating a massive system regarding people using the engine without actually buying it, why not do this. Have a table which stores users who have bought your engine, upon buying the engine generate a serial key which is counted as their product code. Once they have actually set their game up you run a script from your server which updates the db so that said license key is no longer available for use. Have a feature which then allows people to close (delete their full game unlink()), once they do that, run a remote script which then allows them to use the license again.

Just a simple idea, thought I'd put it across.

Even easier: Not bother. :)

The simplest solution is quite often the best solution.

No matter what you do, someone will work around it to save them a few ( ugh ) bucks.

Give people something worth paying for, and the majority will pay.

Offer official support to paying users or something, access to tutorials, snippets, mods, ideas etc.

Build the community around the engine in a way that makes people pay for the access to the community rather than the engine itself.

Even easier: Not bother. :)

The simplest solution is quite often the best solution.

No matter what you do, someone will work around it to save them a few ( ugh ) bucks.

Give people something worth paying for, and the majority will pay.

Offer official support to paying users or something, access to tutorials, snippets, mods, ideas etc.

Build the community around the engine in a way that makes people pay for the access to the community rather than the engine itself.

I only offered such a solution as the developer is using one, if it was me I wouldn't and I'd do what you've said. Seeing as he is using it, I thought he might as well simplify it.

I only offered such a solution as the developer is using one, if it was me I wouldn't and I'd do what you've said. Seeing as he is using it, I thought he might as well simplify it.

Fair enough, wasn't really directed at you as much as your post offered a way in for my opinion on the matter.

You're a smart cookie, we know this. :P

A license checker isn't hard at all. MCC has one along with NWE. You even generate a makeshift script that scans a user's domain for a license.txt or something that they would have to keep in their home directory and if they don't have it then obviously it's not legit because because they would either be doing:

A. Hiding the fact they are using the engine which would violate the terms of license if stated.

B. Trying to claim they have a license in which they actually do not and get caught if the file is found

Well, a simple input box, then you'd insert the license key in to the box then you'd query against the table which consists all the keys.

Well if you give them access to the key then they would have access to the script which they can remove all the calls to the mother ship and that would be pointless as well. Take a look at VBulletin, Xenforo, etc, those get cracked everyday

Well if you give them access to the key then they would have access to the script which they can remove all the calls to the mother ship and that would be pointless as well. Take a look at VBulletin, Xenforo, etc, those get cracked everyday

I thought he mean't how the developer would check, the license checker script would be kept on the developers server as that's what IceColdCola is suggesting.

I don't get how it works, if its as easy has making a file called license.txt wouldn't that make the license checker useless?

How would it make it useless? It compares the licence key stored in licence.txt to one that is IceColdCola's database that he has on his server, which is generated once a customer purchases the script. That way when a domain is scanned, if there is no licence.txt its an illegal copy and if there is a licence.txt then it compares the licence key within it to see if it exists in IceColdCola's database, if it doesnt its an illegal copy.

Vbulletin does this and its easy enough to get around.

Look at the nulled versions of that!

And they have a big team to deal with such issues yet they cant stop people tampering with the script.

If a domain did infact have the engine and no licence what would you then do?

If 100 domains had the engine without the licence file what would you do?

You could easily spend more time trying to take down the sites than its worth to sell the engine.

And lets face it, taking down the site is not that easy.

I had issues with a MAJOR website hahahha. Wont get into who or why but they tried to take down one of my websites. (Nothing stolen or anything like that rather i caught them with there pants down and made it public)

After a few months of failing they gave up.

Well you don't want to store the "key" in the text file because it's easily obtainable. This would just be something for a spider to check to see if people are keeping up with the terms of the license by keeping the file. If the license file is there does it make it legit? No. What it does if it's not legit is warns the license holder that the site has the license but they don't actually have one so if someone were to report it with something like http://license.mccodes.com the you send send your spider to that site, look for a license, and handle it the best way you can.

People can change file names though pretty easily so that is also something to take into consideration as well and can be a problem. It's up to the creator to determine whether his software is worth the time it takes to go after "suspected" non license holders

How would it make it useless? It compares the licence key stored in licence.txt to one that is IceColdCola's database that he has on his server, which is generated once a customer purchases the script. That way when a domain is scanned, if there is no licence.txt its an illegal copy and if there is a licence.txt then it compares the licence key within it to see if it exists in IceColdCola's database, if it doesnt its an illegal copy.

I get you now