MakeWebGames

London Olympics Opening Ceremony Tonight (27/07/2012)

Octet

Just wondering whether anyone was going, watching or looking forward to the London Olympics Opening Ceremony Tonight.

Personally I'm not sure what the organisers of the Olympic opening ceremony where thinking when they decided to have two mosh pits, live farm animals, a cricket game, rain and 'green and pleasant meadows'.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not excited, personally,and will not be wasting my time watching it. I give the Olympian men and women credit for achieving such success in their sports career but I do not support it overall.

I think that is what a lot of people are saying at the moment, I shall probably watch the ceremony but more out of curiosity as to the bizarre concoction that they have put together.

Its been rammed down our throats for so long now most people iv'e spoken to about it are fed up of hearing about it now..

I agree, they had all this pointless publicity and these tacky things, such as wasting £930,000 on that Olympic ring barge which sailed up the river once and has now been put into storage (probably not to be seen again).

No matter where, they waste a bucket load of cash on the Olympic Games.

It's been a while since it's been hosted here, and probably will be a long time before it's hosted here again, so like most countries that have hosted it in the past, we're making a big deal about it.

Downside to that is, well everyone in this country is damn near fed up of hearing it and wishing it was over before it's began.

I'm generally a follower of the Olympics (IE: I watch it when it's on), I doubt I'll be watching it this time around. I may watch the opening ceremony and specific events that I'm interested in, but as for the rest of it, I don't really care.

On that note: GB: 1, NZ: 0. Damn these gals are better than the guys. I move to vote, kick the guys out of the world cup, put the gals in, we may get a little further.

I'll be watching the opening ceromony and also ill be watching the boxing and also the 100 & 200m sprints, want to see usain bolt in action and also other events when iv got nothing else to watch but as for all i'm not "excited" for it and thats due to the fact its been spokem about way too much.

Just me buzzing about it then? The Olympics is a prestigious event, why wouldn't we as a country want to ram it down your throats? Ill be watching every event I can, and damn sure will enjoy it all.

I do watch every sporting event I can though I even watched about 3 hours of a "WALKING" race last year, was quite interesting actually, seeing them getting yellow and red cards...

I have to say that I admire the athletes that have achieved thier status ... their hard work finally paying off for them and all that.

That having been said though ... I don't care for the Olympics at all anymore. When they held them in Vancouver ... a couple I have known for over 30 years owned a pizza parlour with the name of Olympic Pizza. The governing board for the Olympics made it very clear to City Hall in Vancouver that any businesses carrying the name Olympic were to have their name changed as it was an infringement on the Olymic copywrite laws. If they did not they would be sued for being in violation of this. They were told that once the Olympics were done they could go back to carrying the name.

It cost them close to 50k to meet these "new rules" and as a result are now struggling to just keep the business going. They did inquire what their options were legally and they were told that this has happened before and that the petitioners always lose, ending up paying a hell of a lot more in the end.

So no ... I don't care for the Olympics anymore.

Of course its going to be spoken a much reason being

1.7 years ago Great Britain got the 2012 Olympics

2.Its the biggest sporting event in the world

3.It every 4 years

This is the time countries get together work together,Communities unite and cheer for their nation

If you don't care about this sporting event then you are not very patriotic and have no pride in your nation..

I support England and Great Britain at every sporting event

To say it was rammed down too much and not caring doesn't seem logic for something on a massive scale

I have to say that I admire the athletes that have achieved thier status ... their hard work finally paying off for them and all that.

That having been said though ... I don't care for the Olympics at all anymore. When they held them in Vancouver ... a couple I have known for over 30 years owned a pizza parlour with the name of Olympic Pizza. The governing board for the Olympics made it very clear to City Hall in Vancouver that any businesses carrying the name Olympic were to have their name changed as it was an infringement on the Olymic copywrite laws. If they did not they would be sued for being in violation of this. They were told that once the Olympics were done they could go back to carrying the name.

It cost them close to 50k to meet these "new rules" and as a result are now struggling to just keep the business going. They did inquire what their options were legally and they were told that this has happened before and that the petitioners always lose, ending up paying a hell of a lot more in the end.

So no ... I don't care for the Olympics anymore.

So because they didn't bother looking into the copyrights you don't care about the Olympics

During the olmpics do you think they want a restaurant to have Olympic in their name so others think they are affiliated with the real Olympics

If you don't care about this sporting event then you are not very patriotic and have no pride in your nation..

Really? For me not caring about sports makes me anti-patriotic and no pride in my country? When has sports ever determine the love for my country. Wow.

Even if it is the Olympics, I don't care. You say it's a time that people lay down their differences to compete with each other for fun and glory. So basically it is all a show. Countries hate each other, as much as you want to try and deny it, each country usually has a grudge/vendetta against another, if not multiple.

A system built so countries can waste millions on something in which one can say they are better than another country in a specific sport? Has nothing to do with Patriotism and has nothing to do with my time.

Edited by W3Theory || Peter

So because they didn't bother looking into the copyrights you don't care about the Olympics

During the olmpics do you think they want a restaurant to have Olympic in their name so others think they are affiliated with the real Olympics

What part about them being in business for 30 years prior to the Olympics coming to Vancouver did you not get?

For over 30 years they operated under that name. The Olympics comes to town and you think it is okay for them to dictate to legitimate business owners what they have to do ... not too mention that these business owners have to accomodate this out of their own pockets. You think that this is in any way fair or just?

What part about them being in business for 30 years prior to the Olympics coming to Vancouver did you not get?

For over 30 years they operated under that name. The Olympics comes to town and you think it is okay for them to dictate to legitimate business owners what they have to do ... not too mention that these business owners have to accomodate this out of their own pockets. You think that this is in any way fair or just?

Couldn't agree anymore with you newttster.

O

This is the time countries get together work together,Communities unite and cheer for their nation

There is supposedly a lot of excitement about the Olympics; however I am still not feeling it. Doesn’t mean I am unpatriotic simply not interested in an event that is closer. I have never shown much interest. The main difference this year is I am a little bored of hearing about it, and even more annoyed that every time I turn the news on its telling me I should be excited. Just because something is next door doesn’t mean I will enjoy it more.

Having said that I of course respect those who have worked hard in their sport to gain entry and compete. I would be more surprised if anyone felt bad towards the competitors rather than the event weather it’s just not showing interest or stories like above. That is not unique btw; similar things happened in London this year as well. Of course it is wrong.

I wish my country the best of luck just as I would in any sport I didn't watch...

Thanks, Peter.

Dominion ... it really makes you wonder of the history of them doing this, just how many companies have been forced into this position. It would be even more interesting to find out how many of those same businesses have filed for bankruptcy or shut down their businesses because of it.

Sure makes you wonder how the various governmental bodies of the associated cities justifies this to their voters.

Granted the Olympics potentially brings in a huge income during that time. But ... the same city also lays out a huge amount to host them as well.

It seems to me that having a local entrepeneur in business for x number of years should garner some loyalty from the local politicians rather than giving them a kick in the ass and saying "oh well ... them's the breaks".

To say it was rammed down too much and not caring doesn't seem logic for something on a massive scale

Really? You make me gag with these two sentences.

As Peter said, since when does caring about sports have anything to do with being patriotic? If you actually cared about your country you'd be more in tune with the laws and regulations being made on your freedoms (dont care if youre in the US or the EU, were both getting the shaft right now)...NOT about some huge sporting event that does nothing but keep you distracted from **** that actually matters and actually effects your way of life.

And saying that it's illogicall to not care about it since its such a large event...I don't even know how to respond to that. We should just like the olympics because so many other people like them. Since when has, "You should like them because everyone likes them", been a logical reason to like ANYTHING? What is this the borg hive mind?

Thanks, Peter.

Dominion ... it really makes you wonder of the history of them doing this, just how many companies have been forced into this position. It would be even more interesting to find out how many of those same businesses have filed for bankruptcy or shut down their businesses because of it.

Sure makes you wonder how the various governmental bodies of the associated cities justifies this to their voters.

Granted the Olympics potentially brings in a huge income during that time. But ... the same city also lays out a huge amount to host them as well.

It seems to me that having a local entrepeneur in business for x number of years should garner some loyalty from the local politicians rather than giving them a kick in the ass and saying "oh well ... them's the breaks".

It all comes down to the fact that you don't really have any rights. You have privileges. When something more important, (and more profitable) comes into town, your so called rights get kicked to the curb.

Your friends' business getting the shaft is a prime example of this sad fact.

And now I pass the buck to my good dead friend, George Carlin. May he rest in peace.

Too be honest im proud of every country thats entered anyone ever watch Cool Runnings may need to think about what a great country is all about regardless of their achievements :)

Jamaica we have a bobsled team!

I would agree though, you should be proud of each and every athlete regardless. Especially when you consider the age of them, but I find it disgraceful when they have this opportunity and then they throw it away such as the racist Twitter message by the Greek athlete.