MakeWebGames

Netbeans IDE

Hello Everyone,

I just want to make a post about netbeans.

First off I would like to say its great !..

I downloaded Netbeans only a few days ago but its the best PHP editor I have used...

You can easily tell where functions start and end, it shows you when you make simple errors...

I would recommend using this program for your PHP programming. It can handle other languages but I only download the PHP pack.

Give it a try and let me know :)

If you have used it or already use it feel free to post your opinions :)

btw its FREE :)

Thread moved to programming tools where it belongs...

Nonetheless Netbeans is a quite good IDE. It also has a plugin system and can handle Java and c/c++ code programming and compilation. However I have to say that I do enjoy Komodo more for php programming, and IntelliJ for java :P. Another good IDE is eclipse. But in the end it all comes down to preference, and what you need to do. The right tool for the right job! This is why I actually use 3 different IDEs, it might not be ideal since I need to change working environment each time, yet if you feel at home, it helps a whole lot.

I've also made a post in the past about this, might be worth reading..

http://makewebgames.io/showthread.php/39063-Editor-vs-IDE-and-what-to-choose

Yea i was using a very simple php editor before and I needed a day or so to get use to Netbeans aswell...

But when I saw you could collapse functions among the many other features, I knew that it was a program I really needed to switch to...

One big thing for me was how it autocompletes the end of a vairable or if command...but i found out you can simply ignore that and code through it :P

Edited by Curt

For the people saying they have just downloaded it, may I assume you have been using a Text editor rather then an IDE? If so, well I believe NetBeans is well worth a look, I do suggest you look at others being settling. For example my laptop does not run NetBeans very well so I use komodo-edit well doing any programming on it. Try more then one before settling on one to use, other wise you could be missing out.

Edited by Dominion

Really nice IDE, but I prefer more lightweight IDE's when editing on my laptop (Notepad++). Just a bit too bloated and too long of a load time for my situation.

Notepad++ isn't really an IDE, it's just a rather functional editor, which I have to admit is very quickly in terms of use, however an IDE can do so much more than an editor. Only the start up times are longer for an IDE, but once you're using it, you shouldn't notice much of a speed difference. If netbeans is too heavy, you can always try others like eclipse, webstorm(from jetbrains) or komodo.

For the people saying they have just downloaded it, may I assume you have been using a Text editor rather then an IDE? If so, well I believe NetBeans is well worth a look, I do suggest you look at others being settling. For example my laptop does not run NetBeans very well so I use komodo-edit well doing any programming on it. Try more then one before settling on one to use, other wise you could be missing out.

Well, that is what surprises me too actually. So many people using text editors while IDE's could offer so much extras. One of the very helpful things is the live debugging feature. This should come in handy for many, many developers on MWG, as there is no need to go back to your php file anymore to go check whether you have an error or not. The IDE will simply tell you

• 3 weeks later...
Well, that is what surprises me too actually. So many people using text editors while IDE's could offer so much extras. One of the very helpful things is the live debugging feature. This should come in handy for many, many developers on MWG, as there is no need to go back to your php file anymore to go check whether you have an error or not. The IDE will simply tell you

The reason I believe this to be, is because they don't actually know how to use it.

For instance, I use debugging ever-single-day, and it's become a vital part of my development.

But for that, you will need to know how the stack variables are assigned and utilized, and that's something I don't believe all novices know.

I use a combination of Netbeans and Zend Sutdio, and what I like about them:

- inspect future of ZDE, showing me all my functions within the scope of a project, as well as all PHP possible functions in my defined ini dir, and the manual is an F1 away from that.

- SQL view - although not used a lot, it's always nice to have.

- snippets

As for Netbeans:

- plugins, deff'o

- fullscreen view

- subversion

- tasks

- CSS view, even though, it is outdated and doesn't fully support all browsers.

- find AND replace in project scope

Of both:

- live debugging

- code formatter

- regex search