MakeWebGames

Taking yet another turn

a_bertrand

Hi All,

Just for information, we are currently discussing between the current "staffs" / "admins" / "owners" / "moderators" about some changes in the MWG forums / community.

Lately MWG was somehow considered a McCode only and official support board. Specially since McCode owners purchased it. Also somehow the negativity of some members ( I will not give names, so don't try :P ) annoyed some new members as well as older one. Finally, as you may have guessed, Jordan stopped being in the management of the board (yes without notices at least to me).

To clarify a few things, and to try to improve the community forums our dear Nickson started to kick our own lower part. For that I must thanks him. I choose to not wait forever and let you all know what we are currently thinking and what will be made in the coming weeks:

We (volunteers staff) want to take more control and invest yet more time into this project called Make Web Games, which must and should remain primarily a COMMUNITY of developers or people wishing to develop WEB GAMES. This is independent of the script, language, tools the developer or the team is wishing to use.

So what we want to do really? Basically change the mood of this board which was starting to be a "McCode" sad board into something more dynamic which promote developing of games or others games related web projects. Try to help each others, and certainly not flame anybody, and show that there is people still interested in this site.

To do so, we will work more close to each others using our IRC channel to discuss ideas and each of us may get one or more responsibilities. Nickson will likely take the leadership for a while which means he will not be the one which does all, instead he will simply have the right to judge / rules in case of mis-understanding between the staff members. The site will not be McCode centered and will try to promote a more open minded community. We will be a lot more strict about spammers /flamers / scammers / cheaters / hackers. Which means, if you just have fun so far posting stupid answers like "this is crap, my 2 years old dog can do it better!", forget it, we will kick it and if you continue will kick your account as well. Yes sir!

- The composition of this site board is not yet fully defined not which task will be taken by who.

- The owners didn't officially accepted our idea, neither they did refused it so far. However I tend to believe it will not be an issue for them.

As first effect, I moved the McCode section under the "Game Engines" section and shows that we will not put more effort into McCode that we should about others. I changed also a bit the FAQ of MWG. More will come for sure.

Great idea. I also have another idea. Make it so only legal owners of the script can use the forum and see the mods and such. I own a few arcade sites and the owner of that forum has made it so only people who bought the script can access the forum. Would solve a lot of problems. :)

I definitely think that people should have to enter there mccodes license # or something before they can use the MCCodes support section.

Also, Dayo, they could simply make separate forum sections for lite/V.1/V.2 mods. That way you get to look at the mods that are for your type of mccodes. << That idea could be developed apon to something better, but yes I do believe that only valid MCCodes lisence holders should be allowed to take advantage of the wider sections of the MCCodes section.

Glad to see there are being change made though. Well Done! :)

Why should only lience holders be able to use support, sure, for asking question. Think about people like illusions, he doesnt own a lience. Not do I, im not wasting $100 on that engine....

But yeh, I disagree on that, and also think it'll be like the magic 'suprises' from mcc we never had..... All talk, no balls.

actually, on that matter we could make it so, that there are 2 tiers of support, community support and direct-engine-support for people only with a valid license...

however, we will not be able to just remove all support unless you have a license as lite does not require a license, nor should mod makers have a license per se..

Hang on the thread that is saying about moving away from McCodes if geting hijacked talking about McCodes ... keep it on topic :D

This whould be best suited in the suggestions forum :D

Indeed, however MCC will still be a part of the forum, a rather large and active part compared to the others. If we can improve that area as well at the same time, that would be great!

Tech news to Misc to accompany World News.

Tv Shows to Misc.

Non-MCCodes Game Support, do away with it or Game Engines.

Game Project to Players Corner to accompany Game Updates or the other way around.

Web Design » Tutorials » IE tutorials, isn't really needed or used.

As I stated we propose to basically downside McCode and bring it at the level of any other script, why should we force then people to have a valid license to post? Also we don't really have a complete link with McCode (basically we are not part of McCode) and we hope to be even less linked to them, so again it would be a non sense. Now is the owners want to create a special sub-board for it, and handle it themselves then fine. But it should not be under the control of the MWG staff.

Yours still forgetting here:

For example, this is the OFFICIAL MCCodes forum. Not that I want this forum more for MCCodes, but after all, this is there offcial forum. So shouldnt thre be a sort of dedication for them over other engines?

Also, If you want a more any game engine forum, then why is there a big sign which says MCCodes on the main banner? Kind of links to this forum being the mccodes official forum.

Just a few things that should be thought out by the owners of this forum/MCodes.

Mccodes area suggestion main one called “mccodes general”?

Free mods

Paid mods

Requests, and development stages (deals with under production also)

Mccodes support (can deal with mod, and engine support)

Tips, and tutorials

Anyway... It's still mccodes' site, and it's probably going to remain a main section no one is saying it won't be, or if they are they are think VERY long term. Moving away does not mean not posting there at all.

Honestly the site is still separate, and more can be put into other sections. You have to remember anything we do to take it in a different direction needs community support... If people are willing to try new things then it will move. So the real question is are people willing to go with us, and do more then post about mccodes?

If you want something just linked for mccodes licence holders it will in fact be giving up a lot (support is mainly done by people who do not hold a licence).

Sorry Kieran-R no, MWG has never been taken as the purely McCode forum. They purchased it, right, but when they did it, they said they would keep the things as they are which means McCode is just one of the facet of MWG not the whole story. Also I personally don't see McCodes on the main banner, thats what I see: wbb3-header-logo.png

If the owners decide on the other side to change that and make it indeed McCode centered, then I doubt most of the current staff members will continue their work, but for sure I will not.

http://mccodes.com/ -> community tab should be linking to the MC section that would help alot im sure.

Also they could remove the offical mccodes forums image from the header and add something like 'part of the mccodes family' at the bottom of the site.

I am a little confused though does nickson and bertrand have the power to do any of this (permission from the owners)?

It just seems strange to me that MCCodes get themselves pretty much on the main Make Web Games banner, yet they get the exact same forums as what every other engine gets...

They are not in the banner.

Mwg had more for mccodes then it did for any other engine long before mccodes bought the site mainly due to it being the main engine on the site. If the site evens out to more of the general game development site (as it should be anyway) then it would not matter if they are equal.

Saying that even if it stays mainly focused around mccodes, the fact the Boards have changed won't massively affect where people post. They won't change engine/ post about something non-mccodes, just because of how the site is presented.

As said the site was never aimed at being only an mccodes support forum, even the mccodes owners have stated this on several occasions. The aim of this is to bring the rest of the site more alive.

I doubt anyone will be against the tightening of the rules part.

After a review of the way MWG management is run, between Alain, Nickson, Dabomstew and I, we have concluded that yes, MWG does need major changes regarding the MCCode focus on this forum. Like Alain said, this is a web development community - not just the MCCodes community. We endorse the move of the MCCodes board into the Game Engines category to promote this.

We have given the job of head of management to Nickson along with Alain. They will work together to manage things on MWG. Their roles will include managing things on a daily basis, being active, developing the community and listening to the voices of the community to make this a better place. There will also be a staff team in place who will moderate the forum, overseeing the posted topics and replies. Alain's words sum up the new moderating style we aim to achieve - "We will be a lot more strict about spammers /flamers / scammers / cheaters / hackers. Which means, if you just have fun so far posting stupid answers like "this is crap, my 2 years old dog can do it better!", forget it, we will kick it and if you continue will kick your account as well. Yes sir!".

More moderators will be appointed as the management see fit.

In regards to the activity of us owners (Dabomstew and I), our main focus will be on the official MCCodes side of things such as development, interacting with MCC users, and announcement of MCC news and updates. This does not mean we will definitely be inactive elsewhere - I plan to be active on MWG as a whole as much as I can. Dabomstew will mainly post on MCCodes matters.

We believe this is a step in the right direction for MakeWebGames - and we hope you agree. Further feedback can be posted here and it will be taken in carefully.