MakeWebGames

Advice (rookie/dummie)

Br3ttb

I’m looking for some advice I’ve been very interested in browser games for many many years but only as a player. As I was browsing the internet last week I stumbled across this forum and asif just like magic it has a heaven of information that’s got me really thinking… I want to start a game of my own. BUT please forgive me as I’m a total new starter to all of this. 

What I’d like to find out is how would I go about starting a mafia/gangster game? 

what programs would I need?
Are there alternative programs I can use if I don’t want to pay for one? 

setting up database/control panel?

Type of hosting?

Best files to use?

how to upload those files? 

how to change level progress, costs for items etc.

can I add my own cars etc?

I have many questions for those that are willing to share knowledge, I’m not looking to open the next best mafia game but I am looking to learn how to do this as a long term project for my own satisfaction.

looking to start buying what I need as of Monday onwards.

thanks for taking the time to read this and thanks to those who take the time to reply.

regards

Brett

1. VS Code is a very decent free IDE. It has tons of features that will get you going.

2. Hosting is a tricky question. There are tons of shared hosting services to get you on the right path and then if you get a game with tons of players you can scale up as needed with a VPS from digital ocean for cheap and you can always scale up from there if needed.

All other things sort of depend on you TBH. If you are going for PHP then you need to use PHP files, C# you would need to use CS files. So if you decide to use an engine, you would have to use that engine’s language files.

Like stated above, for level progress, cars, etc, it all depends on your engine. If you were to write your own (would not recommend at this time for a newb), you would have to figure that out based on your preference(s)

I also wanted to point out, you don’t need hosting if you are just learning. You can develop locally using stuff like xampp or other alternatives but that is probably the easiest as a rookie to use

Thankyou for your fast reply I was looking at the files from azh maybe then learn how to get it online. Once I’ve learnt that start learning how edit certain variants (item costs etc) then learn to change certain images.

it’s going to be a very long process for me I understand that but like I said will be a personal project.

If I was to buy files what programs would I need to get it up and running with a control panel etc

thanks again

Brett

Any recommendations on what files you would use? I don’t mind paying that’s not an issue just like to know what files be best to get a game going. I want to start on a good base that’s why I don’t mind paying for files 

Thanks for your input Adam much appreciated. I shall have a look into it now.

Next thing is how to turn these files into a working webpage/game.

I’ve read a little the other day and come to a conclusion I’m going to need more software, to manage databases etc.

is there specific programs that are a big yes or no?

thankyou

Brett

13 hours ago, KyleMassacre said:

1. VS Code is a very decent free IDE. It has tons of features that will get you going.

2. Hosting is a tricky question. There are tons of shared hosting services to get you on the right path and then if you get a game with tons of players you can scale up as needed with a VPS from digital ocean for cheap and you can always scale up from there if needed.

All other things sort of depend on you TBH. If you are going for PHP then you need to use PHP files, C# you would need to use CS files. So if you decide to use an engine, you would have to use that engine’s language files.

Like stated above, for level progress, cars, etc, it all depends on your engine. If you were to write your own (would not recommend at this time for a newb), you would have to figure that out based on your preference(s)

I also wanted to point out, you don’t need hosting if you are just learning. You can develop locally using stuff like xampp or other alternatives but that is probably the easiest as a rookie to use

I totally agree with this, however, I chimed in because if you do wish to pay for a license for an editor and you do go with a PHP engine like GL, AZH, etc, I'd 100% recommend PHPStorm.

That said, if you're learning and know nothing about programming yet, I'd 100% keep it all as free as possible; work locally so no hosting (or domain) is required, use a free editor (like VSCode), and start with a free game engine (mc codes free, GL, or whatever else is around).

Absolutely would advise you to keep it free, until you at least know it's something you'll enjoy. If you still want to do it 3 months in, then pay for better tooling if you feel it's worth it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Massive thanks to you all for posting, feel very welcomed and feel you all are a good bunch.

look forward to eventually sharing my progress with you all once I decide a platform to start with etc. 

Do you know any tutorials on how to get started? Example: creating a database, uploading files to server for them to work, log in page etc. once I get a main game on the web I can then get to looking into editing bits etc.

I mean I’m that new to this I’ve not even got my rookie badge 😂 

EDIT: just for starting out is there anything other than plesk that I can use to get running. Will pay for plesk in the coming months but I’m after something for now

also willing to buy a domain today to get something online and get me learning.

Edited by Br3ttb

This evening I shall make a move finally! Going to go on the gl engine I’ve decided and some paid hosting to eventually keep the uptime. Will also be looking for someone to create a new template for the site and will be looking for someone to code some updates etc in the next 10 days.

this may seem abit backwards for some people but for myself it makes progress. I look forward to learning the basics and go from there.

For what it's worth, when I started out I went to namecheap and got myself a domain name, then got a cheap server which allowed for crons and the right db. I learn best by seeing the results of the things I was typing into the code. I tried using WAMPP or whatever the heck it is and I could never get it to work correctly, hence the online live choice. *shrugs* It depends on how you learn best. 

• Like 1

Your opinion is very welcomed as is everyone’s opinion. I’m absolutely new to this so any advice has got to be better than none.

I want to get something up and running so I can learn by the old trial and error.

when you know absolutely nothing you have to break a few things to learn how to fix it. As a general builder in real life I’ve deffo learnt by just getting on with certain things.

some mistakes have cost me but lesson learned and never the same mistake twice.

your all a great community and it’s people like you that make a community.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Uridium said:

Main thing is have fun with what your doing and dont try take on too much in one go.. go away have a rest and come back to what your doing..

I’m really going at a snails pace to be honest I’m just looking over the files seeing what I can and can’t make sense of. I’m in no rush to get anything done just having a play with the initial settings first.

what would be best for me to start learning first php? 

7 minutes ago, Br3ttb said:

PHP would be your best option

what I used to do is install the game on xampp and find a working page and make an error on the script to see what ERROR message was being displayed  that way if you saw the error type again youd kinda have an understanding what could be wrong.. usually misplaced ' or " or even ; throw up some great errors

• Like 1

On 7/30/2023 at 7:23 AM, SRB said:

start with a free game engine (mc codes free,

Did SRB sell their account or has ColdBlooded got a gun to their head? Never thought I'd see SRB advise McCodesFree, especially in 2023 :classic_tongue:

Edited by sniko

7 hours ago, Br3ttb said:

I found for myself the best way to start reading and learning php was to start with anything that "echo"ed. You can see what's printed to the screen. Then expand out from the echo to learn what came before and after the echo. Start with one simple thing and expand outwards. I found it also helped to write out my own notes in my own personal style so that it would be easy for me to refer back to and writing things down always helps to retain what you've seen on screen.