MakeWebGames

Advice (rookie/dummie)

Br3ttb

20 hours ago, Uridium said:

PHP would be your best option

what I used to do is install the game on xampp and find a working page and make an error on the script to see what ERROR message was being displayed  that way if you saw the error type again youd kinda have an understanding what could be wrong.. usually misplaced ' or " or even ; throw up some great errors

I had a look on a site called w3schools lastnight although I must admit I only had a couple mins free but in that time I learned about 

<?php

echo “hello world”;

?>

that was within 2 mins of being on the site. Would recommend to anyone who knows absolute nothing about coding.

13 hours ago, sniko said:

Did SRB sell their account or has ColdBlooded got a gun to their head? Never thought I'd see SRB advise McCodesFree, especially in 2023 :classic_tongue:

Well I must say SRB has given much needed advice when it came to me making a decision, everyone here has been great.

this is a community, people should help, advise, show tips & tricks if possible.

myself I don’t expect anything free as people do use up their time helping. Time is valuable but any free advice is more than welcomed and greatly valued.

everyone that’s helped so far THANKYOU! 

4 hours ago, Br3ttb said:

I had a look on a site called w3schools lastnight although I must admit I only had a couple mins free but in that time I learned about 

<?php

echo “hello world”;

?>

that was within 2 mins of being on the site. Would recommend to anyone who knows absolute nothing about coding.

Well I must say SRB has given much needed advice when it came to me making a decision, everyone here has been great.

this is a community, people should help, advise, show tips & tricks if possible.

myself I don’t expect anything free as people do use up their time helping. Time is valuable but any free advice is more than welcomed and greatly valued.

if you already have a script in front of you that works FORGET about hello world you need to ask how to send your files to your domain FILEZILLA is a fab favourite you log into your site from there and send your files MYSQL always use the PHPMYADMIN cpanel option.. Reading what people do or did wont help cos everyone is different at what they do I know this sounds like pure shite but its how I learnt

ECHO and PRINT are on screen visible statements its what you read on the screen example

print" hello world ";

or

echo "hello world";

both do the same thing the write text to screen

11 hours ago, Br3ttb said:

Sure, I was just bashing on SRB - the code quality of McCodes (especially the free version) is not great. 

Learning PHP

I'd recommend you start learning PHP first then use that knowledge to start developing a game. Once you have PHP installed on your machine, run `php -S localhost:8080` and then you can have your own local server running - no real need for applications such as XAMPP. Or, use an online sandbox, such as https://replit.com/ to run PHP code in the cloud (example: https://replit.com/@409H/example-php)

Get used to variables, functions, classes, dependencies. It'll be a better foundation for you over learning off scripts created years ago with near-zero standards (and breaking modern standards).

A very popular PHP framework is Laravel. You can learn it for free on Laracasts.

Learning Deployment (not server management)

There have been recommendations within this topic on how to deploy your code to production. Some of those recommendations are somewhat archaic (though they do work and get you the end result). I'd suggest learning git (version control) and deploying through a CICD pipeline to a service such as Heroku. You don't want to add another learning branch to your todo list - such as server maintenance and peripheral package management.

Edited by sniko
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1