MakeWebGames

Problems With Installation.

CrazyElk

6 hours ago, CrazyElk said:

Interesting and when I say inappropriate file permissions, I mean files/directories that have just been extracted cannot be moved or deleted because of this ... at least until I change the permissions.

I use to have to CHMOD my directories to 777. You might need to do that. That is normal...

3 hours ago, Sim said:

I use to have to CHMOD my directories to 777. You might need to do that. That is normal...

While it may be a common practice to blindly open your files to the world, I strongly recommend against this.
On most systems (and with varying exceptions to the rule), non-user-modifiable directories should be no greater than 0755 - (read/write/execute to user, read/write to everyone else), and your files should be no greater than 0644 (read/write to user, read to everyone else).

Any files written during installation (such as a config.php) will temporarily need world-write permissions to do so.
Be sure to change the config file(s)' permissions back to non-world-writable when done

• Like 1

GL applied 644 to all files by default, the zip archive should not contain a folder with the files inside it, they should be in the root of the zip file. Can you PM me one of the zip files and I'll check it out and give the author some advise

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dayo said:

GL applied 644 to all files by default, the zip archive should not contain a folder with the files inside it, they should be in the root of the zip file. Can you PM me one of the zip files and I'll check it out and give the author some advise

I did not know that. All my mods include a folder.

3 hours ago, Dayo said:

That will be why they dont auto install ... you should probably test the auto install before selling it.

I mentioned two ways to install Mod. :).. Other was copy pasted threw yours. Obviouslly I will be fixing this(if it don't work after trying auto-installer)

Edit: but he didn't say all of 'Sims' Mods. 🙂

I personally upload directory to mods folder then run SQL threw phpMyAdmin

10 hours ago, Sim said:

I mentioned two ways to install Mod. :).. Other was copy pasted threw yours. Obviouslly I will be fixing this(if it don't work after trying auto-installer)

Well before copying/pasting instructions you better check they work first, this can cause your customers issues going forward. 

10 hours ago, Sim said:

Edit: but he didn't say all of 'Sims' Mods. 🙂

That is true but as you are one of the members with a lot of mods on the market and you say you are not following the standards its not much of an assumption that atleast one of them could be your mods.

10 hours ago, Sim said:

I personally upload directory to mods folder then run SQL threw phpMyAdmin

Great that works for you but your potential customers may not know how to do this and buy it because it says it can easily be installed but when they go to try it dosent work.

Please dont take this as a dig at you, Im just trying to teach the community how best to package mods, I spent a lot of time getting the module system and module installer working and want to see people using it to its full potential.

6 hours ago, Dayo said:

Please dont take this as a dig at you, Im just trying to teach the community how best to package mods, I spent a lot of time getting the module system and module installer working and want to see people using it to its full potential.

I personally packaged them how ive downloaded most files. But this will be fixed on some spare time this week. Its a lot of mods to download and reupload. 🙂

You could always have mod installer check if folder already created. 🙂

15 hours ago, Dayo said:

I could do that but i shouldn't have to, in fact what i will do is check for a .tpl.php file if it does not exist then reject the module.

I'm actually thinking this is a great idea @Dayo.

And just to be very clear guys, there has been NO nested directories in the uploaded .zip files, that is the first thing that I checked/check for.

While I'm not certain what bearing this could have, it should be noted I am conducting business on an iMac here.