MakeWebGames

Bugs/Errors/ Suggestions for MWG community as a whole.

Sim

Since this error kept popping up I lost the original text, so your have to read it from the screen shots. I lost much more that I typed when the error popped up and my browser went back and when I went forward it got lost..

Suggestion not in text I lost. trimmed version.

​New set of rules, mods that don't take sides.

Delete/Split topics/post that go off topic or NEGATIVE

Mods that do not take sides on bashing. Instead of allowing this go on, put an end to this.

​Edit: realized a section went missing

Theres a section on this forum with game engines that are all outdated and some hardly get any posts. Merge or archive these

​The error02 was when I clicked subscribe.

Edited by Sim

I agree but I am failing to see where mods take sides. I can only speak for myself but I don't think that I take sides and if so, that is not my intent at all. I for one get boo'd all the time for locking/deleting stuff from people that I would call my friends. But as Mods+ we should not be taking any sides. Since you run your own community, you should know that sometimes it is hard to determine what should or should not stay. Somethings that get said tend to help the situation. Can some people word things differently? Yes they can.

I know we have the Collab thread that tends to be an all out war at times but is long as its not super bad, I feel thats how it is supposed/going to be. People just need to try and plea their cases as best as they can.

If I get caught slipping let me know. Some people have and I have given my reason on why I feel something should stay and we talk about it very respectfully.

Mods that do not take sides on bashing. Instead of allowing this go on, put an end to this.

I think this is kind of covered above

Theres a section on this forum with game engines that are all outdated and some hardly get any posts. Merge or archive these

I believe VB does archive in their own sort of odd way. I dont think that merging them would be something that I personally would do because then people will be scrolling through walls of text to find what they are looking for. And I personally havent looked but I dont think I have a way to clean these up but maybe Dave does or has an idea of what he can do with the super old stuff

Dave will have to handle that ;)

I was not referring to you [uSER=68711]KyleMassacre[/uSER] =},​

Archiving can be done by setting category permission to read only.

Its horrible scrolling a whole page of useless categories. outdated code, outdated gaming engines, outdated support. If your not going to delete/archive them, I would put all the game engines as sub categories in a main category.

[uSER=67703]adamhull[/uSER] hope its something different then all engines on this forum. At least 90% JavaScript code.

^^ if this isn't a tag also, allow multiple tag suggestion.

Staying in the past with text based games are not going to get MWG on the right path again.

Staff are never going to stop having an opinion as long as they treat everyone fairly I don't see an issue with this. Having said that... it might be time to look at the staff members. I took at least 1/2 year away from the site, and came back to an account that was still classed as staff. [uSER=60705]Djkanna[/uSER] did the same. If they are not active it might be time to remove them from the public list, and enforce new rules on posting if that is what current members feel is needed.

As for the forums themselves I feel focusing on one product is not the right approach. The biggest problem with the site has always been it's dependants on MCcodes, but that was also the biggest force for new members. If MCC are not going to be active(unsure if they plan any future products) then attracting other active projects will help MWG be it NWE(currently on a different forum, and under new ownership) or simply making sure their are a few active members on-line willing to help with development problems over a few different languages. If that's the case advertising on Facebook(for free or paid) will help attract members.

If the focus was to move towards Node or something like it I would highly suggest finding a few dedicated members who are willing to help the section get started. I am, for the record, in favour of shifting focus to more modern types of game design. This would be harder to attract people for as we have no content linked to it already. [uSER=1]a_bertrand[/uSER] did try for a long time to move the site towards C# for example, but hit a wall when people didn't seem to want to move away from the text engines, and no new members were joining the site.

Articles on this site have also been highly neglected. The last one having been done it 2012, and yet it's been the first page people see on MWG since we moved to VB.

Edited by Dominion

I was not referring to you [uSER=68711]KyleMassacre[/uSER] =},​

Archiving can be done by setting category permission to read only.

Its horrible scrolling a whole page of useless categories. outdated code, outdated gaming engines, outdated support. If your not going to delete/archive them, I would put all the game engines as sub categories in a main category.

[uSER=67703]adamhull[/uSER] hope its something different then all engines on this forum. At least 90% JavaScript code.

^^ if this isn't a tag also, allow multiple tag suggestion.

Staying in the past with text based games are not going to get MWG on the right path again.

I wasn't insinuating that you were calling me out specifically but please do.

And I agree with your idea of archiving, I'm not too familiar with VBulletin enough to know how it works but I am sure there is a plugin or option that does that sort of thing.

I don't think we intentionally stay in the past so maybe we need a topic reconfiguration and add some more categories and sub categories. Granted most people are probably driven here by searching for a Mafia script and go to mccodes.com and find the ad for this forum, but that's just the way it is for now at least

My personal opinion would be to remove the collaboration area of the site completely, or to archive it for historical purposes and keep it as read only. As helpful as it can be it, it causes a lot of damage when we get threads which contain nothing but finger pointing and no proper proof. Even if real proof is shown, it is drowned under the "noise".

I also suggest that we as a forum enforce rules more, so we don't attract trolls. In the past rules have been broken and it has gone ignored (Not by any of the active mods/admins).

Existing game engines which are insecure and have their own sub-forum should be removed until they are secured by the owners. If we want to be taken seriously as a dev community we need to make sure the content that we allow is good. If we advertise crappy code, we are basically setting the bar for the type of users we would like to attract.

A new moderation team should be chosen, I don't mean existing mods should be removed (after all Kyle has been holding down the fort while everyone's been away and he's done so brilliantly), even when the owners pretty much walked away and let the forum rot he carried on moderating. I (like others I'm sure) have admired Kyle's enthusiasm/dedication in keeping the forum "clean" and I feel that it shouldn't be his duty only, we're all members and we all should strive to better the forum.

The community needs to be more involved! Small things like a weekly poll or the odd thread which sparks debates where people learn new things etc. would attract new users.

Finally, it will be hard work to get MWG to its former glory and it will take time and dedication. No point having this starting momentum if in a couple weeks time people have given up.

Edited by Script47
  • Like 2

My personal opinion would be to remove the collaboration area of the site completely, or to archive it for historical purposes and keep it as read only. As helpful as it can be it, it causes a lot of damage when we get threads which contain nothing but finger pointing and no proper proof. Even if real proof is shown, it is drowned under the "noise".

I also suggest that we as a forum enforce rules more, so we don't attract trolls. In the past rules have been broken and it has gone ignored (Not by any of the active mods/admins).

Existing game engines which are insecure and have their own sub-forum should be removed until they are secured by the owners. If we want to be taken seriously as a dev community we need to make sure the content that we allow is good. If we advertise crappy code, we are basically setting the bar for the type of users we would like to attract.

A new moderation team should be chosen, I don't mean existing mods should be removed (after all Kyle has been holding down the fort while everyone's been away and he's done so brilliantly), even when the owners pretty much walked away and let the forum rot he carried on moderating. I (like others I'm sure) have admired Kyle's enthusiasm/dedication in keeping the forum "clean" and I feel that it shouldn't be his duty only, we're all members and we all should strive to better the forum.

The community needs to be more involved! Small things like a weekly poll or the odd thread which sparks debates where people learn new things etc. would attract new users.

Finally, it will be hard work to get MWG to its former glory and it will take time and dedication. No point having this starting momentum if in a couple weeks time people have given up.

Hear hear. It's good to a bit of momentum back in MWG. And I'll agree that Kyle has done an outstanding job on this forum. But we need more staff to help him. If possible, staff that are in two different time zones, so while one is asleep another can be active, ensuring a 24hr moderation of the site.

There needs to be active content deliveries to keep the forum fresh and to stop it from going dead, whether that be from a snippet of code that can be used to demonstrate a technique, whether it be free art assets, or even a discussion about a new piece of technology that could aid game development. Or discussions about elements of game designs. Things like controlling game economy, different play styles (eg, quest based - follow storyline, combat based - train and attack other uses to gain respect)

For this we could maybe designate some content creators who will provide something each week or bi-weekly. Or if its something major then they could write a post telling us what we are in store for and hopefully generate a bit of discussion about it until it is released.

Just need something to keep this place fresh and alive.

All very valid comments, I've been pruning some ancient boards that I didn't even know existed, I'll be continuing to evaluate various ancient boards and taken actions to try and streamline the content across the forum.

Also as everyone has suggested the moderation / administration team has fallen down and not been managed itself, but kudos to [uSER=68711]KyleMassacre[/uSER] for helping out for so long. These changes will happen slowly and surely, I'm dedicated to bringing this forum back to being a great place, and the kinda place you want to open up and check every morning.

Since this error kept popping up I lost the original text, so your have to read it from the screen shots. I lost much more that I typed when the error popped up and my browser went back and when I went forward it got lost..

Suggestion not in text I lost. trimmed version.

​Edit: realized a section went missing

Which thread / topic where you attempting to subscribe to Sim?

The issue is resolved [uSER=52003]Dave Macaulay[/uSER] , but it was this one. But now I still got the #3 for notifications that havnt gone away in hours. It's showing notifications from trash.

I was also getting private messages from quotes from various threads instead of a notification. =0

I am still getting invalid server response pop ups as well.

I wouldn't mind becoming a MOD. My top priority is GMF. But I have been a member of this community since 2009. I actually have been one of the best members the last few months by not getting involved in all the trash talking. The majority of my post on here are quality. I do promise if given a mod position to not cross promote GMF <-> MWG.

The issue is resolved [uSER=52003]Dave Macaulay[/uSER] , but it was this one. But now I still got the #3 for notifications that havnt gone away in hours. It's showing notifications from trash.

I was also getting private messages from quotes from various threads instead of a notification. =0

I am still getting invalid server response pop ups as well.

I wouldn't mind becoming a MOD. My top priority is GMF. But I have been a member of this community since 2009. I actually have been one of the best members the last few months by not getting involved in all the trash talking. The majority of my post on here are quality. I do promise if given a mod position to not cross promote GMF <-> MWG.

Very strange! The initial error would most likely be that as you're the creator of this thread that you are automatically subscribed.

VB5 also seems to have a different approach to notifications regarding new replies / topics. Seems a bit different from the ways other popular forum software works.

I'll be reviewing the staff team shortly, trying to resolve issues with the board firstly, look out for a topic with more information.

Once again, thanks for providing these bug reports!

I JUST want the invalid server response error to go the hell away!! I done lost over 8 posts typing cause of this error.

I can imagine these are incredibly frustrating! Could you keep your browsers inspector up and see what the server is responding with? This would really help in my debugging process.

Also knowing which browser(s) this occurs in would be another great help.