MakeWebGames

GRPG ownership

AdamHull

Hello everyone, as of today I have bought out GRPG and all the rights to the engine from [MENTION=66442]grant[/MENTION].  I will soon have the site up and running, with news and updates and paid and free mods. And a forum for all discussions. Prices for liesences have not yet been set. Thanks if you want to know anything the please contact me on here or email/Skype [email protected], grant has agreed to verify this and hopefully he will soon

Edited by adamhull

A few questions, I've never used the engine GRPG so just like a FAQ type thing.

• Will people pay for the engine or is it going to be free?
  • Will you be recoding the engine or will you be patching the existing version? Or will you patch the existing version then create a whole new version?
  • Will it be a general game engine where developers can mould there own game or will it be fixed to a certain genre?
  • Will the development be constant? Or is it simply a patch up then release?
  • Will there be a proper community forums for GRPG users/developers? I liked MCCodes Mods website, I believe it was last owned by Ian.
  • How will existing game owners be able to receive patches to the engine if they have a game running already? Meaning will you incorporate something like NWE where it will let you update modules through the admin panel?
  • What will the architecture be like? Meaning will it just be simple files? Modular? MVC? Custom? If custom please explain further.
  • What future plans (if any) do you have with the engine?
  • How do people contact you for support? Is there any official lines of communication, as I've understood that GRPG has never really been clear with who owns it etc. So will there be an official site like MCC and NWE?
  • Will you have a proper development team or will it only be the two of you?

First off the original copy of GRPG which there are many out there (including the one I have), was given freely under the open source license.

Whomever is the new owner, not saying I believe anyone stating they are the new owner.... But you would have to totally remake the GRPG engine in order to sell it, due to if not you would be violating the Open Source License, to those many users that has the original copy that was given under the Open Source License. Which this was stated awhile back in a thread. Just wanted to throw it out there again, for whatever way you are going with the engine, if it is the original engine script it can't be sold, even if you have made small edits to it.

Edited by lucky3809

please go to this topic http://makewebgames.io/showthread.php/42967-Original-Creator-Of-GRPG-Here-%29

this states that publis never realised it as open source and it was pirated onto sites. If you can show me the orignal copy of the open source liesence you got off publis or grant then i will belive you, wont matter anyways as the engine is pritty much getting recoded

A few questions, I've never used the engine GRPG so just like a FAQ type thing.

• Will people pay for the engine or is it going to be free?
  • Will you be recoding the engine or will you be patching the existing version? Or will you patch the existing version then create a whole new version?
  • Will it be a general game engine where developers can mould there own game or will it be fixed to a certain genre?
  • Will the development be constant? Or is it simply a patch up then release?
  • Will there be a proper community forums for GRPG users/developers? I liked MCCodes Mods website, I believe it was last owned by Ian.
  • How will existing game owners be able to receive patches to the engine if they have a game running already? Meaning will you incorporate something like NWE where it will let you update modules through the admin panel?
  • What will the architecture be like? Meaning will it just be simple files? Modular? MVC? Custom? If custom please explain further.
  • What future plans (if any) do you have with the engine?
  • How do people contact you for support? Is there any official lines of communication, as I've understood that GRPG has never really been clear with who owns it etc. So will there be an official site like MCC and NWE?
  • Will you have a proper development team or will it only be the two of you?

Please answer these questions, I am also intrigued.

please go to this topic http://makewebgames.io/showthread.php/42967-Original-Creator-Of-GRPG-Here-%29

this states that publis never realised it as open source and it was pirated onto sites. If you can show me the orignal copy of the open source liesence you got off publis or grant then i will belive you, wont matter anyways as the engine is pritty much getting recoded

Wow is the post you referenced confusing, yet you say it so straight-forward like it all makes perfect sense.

Regardless, in most cases with licenses, licenses can become null and void at any time. Terms of Use of said licenses normally has this clause in there in order to provide liability in cases like this. If I were you, if you are planning on selling this engine, make sure you have a specific Terms of Use for the new licenses so that this kind of thing does not happen again (like a change of ownership of the engine clause).

Even with what was noted above, with many engines, the core of it is very similar, so it is extremely difficult to say what belongs to what anyways. Just recode it, make it better, and the rest of us will provide you with feedback.

~G7470

We are going to recode it and before realise we will being making a through terms of use to make sure that it is used correctly and not freely distributed by non authorised people

I don't mean to be rude at all. But you really must read your post as you have some really bad spelling mistakes. Just makes sense that if you're going to be making constant posts (now that you own a game engine) that you should at least use the spell check on this site.

First off the original copy of GRPG which there are many out there (including the one I have), was given freely under the open source license.

Whomever is the new owner, not saying I believe anyone stating they are the new owner.... But you would have to totally remake the GRPG engine in order to sell it, due to if not you would be violating the Open Source License, to those many users that has the original copy that was given under the Open Source License. Which this was stated awhile back in a thread. Just wanted to throw it out there again, for whatever way you are going with the engine, if it is the original engine script it can't be sold, even if you have made small edits to it.

Not necessarily true, if the owner has all the copyrights, then the owner can re-license future releases however they want.

The only time you'd have to re-write parts of a project is if there are other people with copyrights over portions of the code other than the owner. This is why most projects make the contributors sign a CLA like this:

https://www.openoffice.org/licenses/jca.pdf

As under the Open Source License it is a violation to sell software after giving it for free under the license it states so on the License website, you can not use Open Source License and give out the software for free to the public then take the License back and sell the same software that was registered under that License... I am too lazy to look for it, but if you look back on further threads I have linked the License, and the violations, that is with this particular engine. It's easy to portray someone on the internet and claim that you have bought all rights to their software, I still don't buy that Brandon sold GRPG Because I have had communication with him awhile back, and he said it was not up for sell due to the Open Source License. Having his domain does not mean anything at all, because anyone can pre order a domain name... Until I talk with Brandon than I will believe if he sold it. As for last time I spoke with him he was too busy with his career doing other developments and had discontinued the GRPG engine.

[MENTION=65073]lucky3809[/MENTION] if GRPG was in fact placed under the Open Source License, then yes, re-selling the original code itself is a violation; however, if that legacy code is different from back when it was supposedly licensed as open source until now, then it is 100% valid.

In any case, I had quite some fun going through your previous posts for threads, and I could not find one post that validated your claim the GRPG was in fact licensed as such. Maybe a pirated copy was done this way because, as you probably know, publius was away from GRPG for quite some time, and during that time, a copy of the code may have floated around and placed on this license at that point in time.

You really do not know as nor do I of these claims, which is why engine/code ownership/licensing is such a tricky and dicey task without having an official site or point of validation. Take MCCodes for example. They have a validation point, but who knows that every site that has MCCodes actually purchased their license?

At this point in time, I would say that if you have a copy of the Open Source License, then leave it as such. The claims of which are going back-and-forth in regards to GRPG will really not allow us to grow as a community if we shoot down attempts at making our development skills and code base better.

~G7470

As I have said before the people who have the old copy, they can use it I am not planning on selling it at all, GRPG v1 is in the works which changes a lot of the source codes and making the backend very different. Also publis owned the engine and then verified he sold it to Grant on here and then he has sold on to me.

• 4 months later...