MakeWebGames

Starting afresh

Alan

We are looking for two, possibly three people to assist with a little game project. I'll ignore the usual partnership template as its mostly irrelevant for this request, however I'll give you some idea of the concepts.

Starting with an mccodes base, myself and one other developer are simply experimenting to see what may be possible within a relative short time scale.

The aim is to get a stable, working product using basic code and writing everything outside of the initial code-base from scratch. We will be using certain key components in due course to simplify the process, however there's nothing complex or unusual about these parts.

The game itself while initially based like all mccodes projects on crime and combat, is anticipated to go more towards a cooperative game; where safe solo play is possible, yet groups of people can play against each other with some friendly rivalry.

Hosting is fully covered, the two developers have a number of machines in a variety of places around to globe with sufficient free resources that are fully paid up to host essentially what we want. Any and all costs in the future will be met solely by the two developers.

Technologically, initially the core code is PHP based, HTML5 and CSS3 of course with extensive JavaScript. It is developed on Linux servers, but hosted on specially hardened Unix machines. Database back-end is initially MySQL, and we use Redis for caching and providing message queues. Front end is as I've said, bootstrap based, and while we would like to make it responsive enough to be fully mobile aware, this may not be possible at least in the early stages.

So, what are we looking for?

1. Game designer(s) - will be tasked with generating ideas and fleshing them out, passing these over to the development team, and play testing. This is probably one of the key posts, as they are in a position to greatly influence the direction of the game and can spend a lot of time with development discussing possible plans.

2. Game administrator - we're developers, we don't really want to get involved in the day to day management of the game once its up and running. Has the ability to bring on staff as and when needed (once approved by the devs) and will probably spend considerable time discussing the game with the designers.

3. Graphics - The game itself is being written using the bootstrap framework for speed, and while we already have certain aspects of the game's look and feel in our mind, we welcome input from designers willing to try their hand at a new project. Of course, these guys and gals will be work closely with both the game designers and developers.

Now it may sound a little above the normal for what is essentially a small code-base however with the combined commercial programming experience of over 60 years, coupled with an unrivaled ability to generate fresh ideas, or new twists on old concepts we feel we can have a little fun with your help.

And what's in it for you?

Well I'm not going to promise money, I'm certainly not going to promise source code, however I will promise a lot of hard work, and a lot of fun. Our aim is it make a fun game that can pay for itself, gain a little experience in the gaming world, and share some of our experiences.

What happens to your ideas?

Well we're not a couple of script kiddies out to make a fast buck here, we treat our co-workers with respect and honor any wishes they may have. We will not share any ideas or indeed code with any 3rd party without full and complete permission. If your ideas do get written into the project however, it becomes a more complex process to remove them if for some reason we part company, so we'll keep them active until such times as we can faze them out or replace them altogether. We are after all putting a lot of effort into developing the underlying code, so we feel a little give and take is required.

What skills do you need?

It's up to you whether you feel you have the necessary skills and ideas to come an join us, we won't force anybody to work to silly deadlines, however we do expect that you join where and when you can.

In reality, you will need to have a decent eye to see whether something looks right or wrong, you need to have a decent sense of what fair game play is about, programming skills while handy are not required although at some stage down the line we may consider expanding the development team assuming the game warrants it.

If you think you can make a fast buck out of us, or maybe think you'll be able to steal the code base, then please, look elsewhere, however if you have the desire and drive to direct and shape a game into something that players will enjoy and keep coming back then drop me a line.

So you're only offering experience with two people who have been in the gaming industry for years? Could we get examples of both of your past experiences or at least the name of the 2nd developer?

If I vouch for their abilities, does that count for anything?

Of course, knowing Alan for a good number of years and working with him for more hours than I have cared to, may not count for much.

To be honest, if you get accepted to play by the side, you should be grateful.

If I vouch for their abilities, does that count for anything?

Of course, knowing Alan for a good number of years and working with him for more hours than I have cared to, may not count for much.

To be honest, if you get accepted to play by the side, you should be grateful.

That sounds a little arrogant, but I'm sure that wasn't intentional. I was asking a genuine question that any site looking for an employee/partner should be willing to answer. When you consider this site is basically asking for volunteer work... answering may generate interest.

I won't argue with you because it will be perceived as flaming. I leave it to Alan to answer the questions.

Edited by Dominion

That sounds a little arrogant, but I'm sure that wasn't intentional. I was asking a genuine question that any site looking for an employee/partner should be willing to answer. When you consider this site is basically asking for volunteer work... answering may generate interest.

I won't argue with you because it will be perceived as flaming. I leave it to Alan to answer the questions.

Not meant as stated, I did actually type more, but deleted it because I felt like it was rambling - maybe I shouldn't have.

The basis for that statement is as follows;

Alan, a person I'd actually call a friend on these boards, has a vast amount of knowledge within a wide scope on all things interwebz AND, as with me, has been known to take people under his wing whom show willing.

So, I stand by my original statement, but hope this clarification helps; If you show willing and get selected, you will walk away with more knowledge than you went in with, by a lot.

@sniko, yes git is extensively used throughout all our projects these days. We maintain a number of branches, with post-hooks to ensure that testing is performed prior to pushing to production (at least that's the plan - unit testing the current code base is far from easy). Master runs on production, with branches created from it for hotfixes as and when the need arises. Development branches and QA branches are active all the time. We use fabric for deployment coupled with phinx for database migration.

@guest, I guess it's my round then :D

@dominion, experience is one one small aspect of any project. The ability to work with people, to design, develop and maintain a project from a team comprised of almost entirely unknowns is a risk, but can prove enjoyable. Personally, I know I won't make money from this project, so I offer a realistic view of what may happen. In time that ~may~ change, however it would be foolish of me to suggest otherwise at this stage. While my associate chooses to stay out of the limelight for the moment, any information you need about any of my current or prior projects can be found easily enough.

So, I stand by my original statement, but hope this clarification helps; If you show willing and get selected, you will walk away with more knowledge than you went in with, by a lot.

May I second this;

Just spending less than an hour of casual chatting with Alan leaves you coming away from it a little more knowledgable, a very intelligent fella, with at least a basic familiarity of a wide array of topics.

A plus being he doesn't treat you with disrespect if you don't know or understand something the first time, he will attempt to explain what is troubling you where he is able to do so.

If anyone is looking to wet their appetite or even gain more experience in the mentioned fields, it wouldn't hurt to enquire into this offer, you'll probably come away from it knowing more than what you bargained for.

TL/DR: Just enquire about the offers available, it wouldn't hurt and you may learn a thing or two in an unrelated subject.

@Alan: Good luck with this project. :)

*any grammatical oddities, I blame iOS, I really do.

Said nobody ever, who was posting from an android ;)

I hear that!!! I just got my iPhone and just got in a bit of trouble today for it. It wasn't damnyouautocorrect.com material though. I went to say "ahhh" to my girlfriend and it spelled "Abby" :o

Let the record show, I don't know any Abby's at all

I hear that!!! I just got my iPhone and just got in a bit of trouble today for it. It wasn't damnyouautocorrect.com material though. I went to say "ahhh" to my girlfriend and it spelled "Abby" :o

Let the record show, I don't know any Abby's at all

Yeah, I'm with you buddy, I don't know any Abby either.

*Pssh* Is the coast clear yet, so Abby can get out from the cupboard and go home? ;P

@dominion, experience is one one small aspect of any project. The ability to work with people, to design, develop and maintain a project from a team comprised of almost entirely unknowns is a risk, but can prove enjoyable.

Experience covers a lot of things. Anyone with a good amount of past experience in the workplace should be able to work within a team well remaining somewhat independent in other projects. When applying for a job it all comes under the "experience" tag as opposed to "industry experience" that is a little more specific. As for the risk it's the same with any job, you minimize it by checking up on the people who look good through past references and work.

Personally, I know I won't make money from this project, so I offer a realistic view of what may happen. In time that ~may~ change, however it would be foolish of me to suggest otherwise at this stage. While my associate chooses to stay out of the limelight for the moment, any information you need about any of my current or prior projects can be found easily enough.

Fair enough, at least you're being honest from day one. As long as people are aware there is no profit in it.