MakeWebGames

[In Prod.] Enhanced Registration

Well if it's for MCC games then most likely it's Cronus' player verification module which at the time was good but now quite outdated. My whole goal is to make the registration process a little bit more secure in regards to password protection. Albeit that MCC started using a salt to hash their passwords but it still uses an algorithm that no one should be using anymore to store passwords.

Now, has my system for that been done? I can't say for sure but MTG stated he does something similar but it's not exactly the same. And since I really don't know what algo game owners go with its hard to say but this will let you change from one to the other without messing up current users when logging in. Which if you think about it would be safer because an exploiter won't really know what bit them if they do decide to get a hold of the users password string because one can be sha* one can be md5, etc.

Now just because you get an email saying to click this link to continue your registration or to activate your account doesn't necessarily mean they are using the same system as I am creating either, and I have even come across ones that let you login even if your account is not activated which completely defeats the purpose.

What this does is when a user registers they don't get inserted into the game until they are verified so this can help out with your game getting spammed or weeding out people that for some reason just sign up and never even log in.

I have showed owed a few people so far of what I have and have gotten pretty positive feedback from them. Though, they are friends so they could just be being nice to me :p

So I hope this shed a bit more light on what this module is suppose to accomplish and I still don't have a set price but I will take that $10 into strong consideration. So if anyone has anymore feedback it is welcome and also if you have any ideas as well.

No. Remember The Coder knows everything

/sarcasm

Edited by sniko

Flag users when the encryption method changes (Yes/No) to keep their passwords current

I wouldn't say flag them when the encryption changes. I don't see the point. Update it automatically, and prompt them to change the password after a set amount of days regardless of anything you change/don't change.

The rest all looks good. :)

I wouldn't say flag them when the encryption changes. I don't see the point. Update it automatically, and prompt them to change the password after a set amount of days regardless of anything you change/don't change.

The rest all looks good. :)

Yeah I did think about that as well. I'm still really undecided on how I want to handle a lot of the stuff because I want to make it safe and easy for both game owner and player. Thanks a lot for your input Dom.

• 1 month later...

Is anyone interested in this at all. I haven't worked on it much but I did get someone asking me about this in a way and decided that maybe I will release what I have and provide updates as I go.

Currently what works on it is your basics:

1. Users can register
  2. Sends the verification email
  3. Change password encryption type
  4. Will not affect current registered users
  5. You can change the encryption method at anytime with out messing anything up.

Basically that's what this does at this point and I do plan to release update as I can get them done. I just work full time, school full time, and have a project in the works that I plan on releasing to the community in the next few months(more on that then).

If I don't get any responses then I probably won't bother getting everything ready to ship and just brush it off.

Todo:

1. Change how the template is received. Currently it's in the database, maybe make a directory for your templates?
  2. Notifications as a reminder to change the passwords after X days or when the encryption type changes.
  3. Your suggestions

Like stated above this is for MCC 2.0.5b and your current PHP version should run this just fine. You will also have to template your register file yourself as mine just uses the default styles but that shouldn't be too hard.

This is also comes with a staff file that let's you change every aspect of this system. (More work will be done before I release it though)

• 4 weeks later...

I just started rewriting it and since I lost my notes that I made for it I need to find all my new files and edited files to compile together but just a small update here:

Im still trying to figure out what I wish to do for the email template to make it customizable I may just make a directory for templates that you can choose in the admin panel for it.

I made the admin panel update with Ajax so you just edit what you wish and it updates as you go without submitting anything and this will only update if you actually change a setting.

Im im removing the notification to players letting them know the encryption method change because that can be a hindrance.

The he only thing really left to do is the email templates setting and I may even through that out the window just because I don't even know if it serves any good purpose or not. And if I do decide to not use it the. I just need to gather up the files and pack it up so maybe by the middle of the week it will be ready so I'm going to allow reservations for it now @ $10/copy then after that I'm going to upload it to the marketplace for $15/copy and only 5 will be sold at the discounted price

• 1 month later...
This is interesting..will follow this, hopefully you will get it ready soon

Thank you but I haven't actually done much because lack of community interest and to be honest I don't even know where I left off exactly lol but I think I do need to get this done. If I have any free time during the week or this weekend I'll try to finish it up though

Thank you but I haven't actually done much because lack of community interest and to be honest I don't even know where I left off exactly lol but I think I do need to get this done. If I have any free time during the week or this weekend I'll try to finish it up though

I could use such a module..

Feel free to use my git server for this [MENTION=68711]KyleMassacre[/MENTION] - this way you won't forget where you left off ;) #AdvertisingAndSelfPromotingPost2k14

• 3 weeks later...
I think its almost complete, I would just have to look at it and compare it with my notes. I think there is one more thing I want to change on it then I can release it.

Awesome good to hear Kyle, I've always enjoyed your modifications ^_^ hence why i'm going to try and incorporate new additions to the player classes and the different perks they all get :)

I hate when I forget where I left off...

but on another post you said your almost done. Congrads