MakeWebGames

What are your strongest programming language?

Script47

What are your strongest programming language?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What are your strongest programming language?

I'm guess we're going with a very broad definition of a programming language here?

As only Java and Javascript ( PHP highly debated upon, but I guess PHP too ) in this list are considered programming languages.

HTML/HTML5 are the same thing.

MySQLi isn't a language at all, and jQuery is just a Javascript framework.

Edited by Djkanna

I'm guess we're going with a very broad definition of a programming language here?

As only Java and Javascript ( PHP highly debated upon, but I guess PHP too ) in this list are considered programming languages.

HTML/HTML5 are the same thing.

MySQLi isn't a language at all, and jQuery is just a Javascript framework.

Sorry about that DJK, I just meant any strong language, and I never really knew about the framework stuff, just thought of names. :)

If im honest im surprised that people think they have a stronger understanding of PHP then they do HTML.

Probably because with PHP you can do more stuff, and people (I personally think) know they can do more with PHP rather than HTML so they jump in to PHP.

Probably because with PHP you can do more stuff, and people (I personally think) know they can do more with PHP rather than HTML so they jump in to PHP.

Or they didn't realise it was multiple choice, and chose their preferred language

• 3 months later...

JQuery isn't a programming language, it's a Javascript library.

MySQL is a database of SQL, SQL is a query language.

HTML(5) is a markup language.

Javascript is 1 word (Not Java Script)

CSS is a style sheets, not a programming language.

MySQLi is a MySQL extension (that 'improves' it; hence the i) - and is only used in PHP, still, not a programming language.

The only TRUE programming language listed in that poll would be Java.

I suggest changing the thread title.. Sorry, I just had to point this out.

PHP isn't a programming language it has a 'C' syntax, not a PHP syntax developed by them.

And it's also horibble:

function MyFunctor() { return function() { return "hello"; } }  // <- Doesn't work.
function MyFunctor() { $PHP_IS_HORRIBLE = function() { return "hello"; }; return $PHP_IS_HORRIBLE; }  // <- this works.
MyFunctor()(); <- This doesn't work...
$PHP_IS_HORRIBLE = MyFunctor(); $PHP_IS_HORRIBLE(); // <- And this does ofcourse...

PHP is just a TEXT PROCESSOR with a scripting language that must look like 'C' and now 'C++' syntax.

Now this year it looks stable, but your old code will run until your hosting provider get's a update.

Than you have to re-arange all your parameters. Who can remember the day that they changed the parameters of: explode($array, $delimiter) to explode($delimiter, $array)....

And that wasn't the only time i had to re-arange params because the people of PHP tought it would be handy.

With mysqli is exactly the same, you can't just: Replace all "mysql_" with "mysqli_", that would be just to easy.

XML (HTML/CSS) is a MARKUP LANGUAGE.

MySQL and MySQLi is a Provider/Driver for MySQL, not a programming language. It's just a API or Interface with your database.

Even SQL is a QUERY language. And Quering isn't programming. Queriing is asking a question, not controlling the flow of a process.

Java, ok you can call that a language. But don't forget to update !

Java Script, is just a scripting language that run's in a sandbox. It's comparable with PHP and also PHP's developers example language.

JQuery is a library/Api from google or used by google for queriing the DOM (Document Object Model) better, than with the normal DOM implementation.

Like getting al the elements from a class inside a small piece of html, so not the whole document for example. And it has some special ($) labda functionality for chaining of functions.

JQuery isn't a language, but it's mutch more professional than all the things listed above.

Good languages: Clojure, F#, C#, Delphi, Visual Basic (only VS2010 and above ofcourse), Phyton, Ruby on rails.

What does a good programming language have. The same things we have in math, like types, sets, transformations and functions.

@Dayo: No, not really. If you don't know the difference between programming and markup it's also difficult to awnser.

- - - Updated - - -

JQuery isn't a programming language, it's a Javascript library.

MySQL is a database of SQL, SQL is a query language.

HTML(5) is a markup language.

Javascript is 1 word (Not Java Script)

CSS is a style sheets, not a programming language.

MySQLi is a MySQL extension (that 'improves' it; hence the i) - and is only used in PHP, still, not a programming language.

The only TRUE programming language listed in that poll would be Java.

I suggest changing the thread title.. Sorry, I just had to point this out.

You *******, don´t touch my: "widely-used general-purpose scripting language" ;)

Happy Hacking...

• Like 2

• 5 months later...