MakeWebGames

Apple/Windows Or Linux

Dayo

After being a huge windows only guy recently i went and brought various apple products so i can get use to them as i was looking for a job at the time and often the companies i applied for used apple products. So with that in mind i thought it would be a good idea to get use to the OS. After using my Macbook for several months i love it, i find im far more productive using my 13" macbook rather then my 3 monitor windows set up. As for linux ive never used it but i may do soon as i have room for another computer at work so may set a linux one up.

So what OS do you prefer to use.

(i know there is probably a thread similar to this but its probably dead and burried i just didnt want to dig up a old thread plus with new OS's released the thread is probably outdated)

Definitively Windows for the desktop, and a little preference for Linux as server.

For the desktop: I can connect whatever hardware I want, have tons of softwares (usual or not), and all works fine. My machine doesn't cost me an arm and a leg, and the development on it with Visual Studio is just great.

For the server: being able to connect just via SSH is a big plus. Also some features are easier to manage for me on Linux than they are on Windows which involves still a lot of clicking. Yet for ASP.NET development (what I do at work) Windows servers works just perfectly, while Mono on Linux is a disaster.

I've only had the use of mobile (minus a laptop) apple devices; iPad, iPhone, iPod - which are great, however, for development purposes, I prefer windows (Windows XP was nice, 7 was a little better, 8 was horrible (Although I do use Win8)). As for servers, I usually go for a linux setup.

Granted, Apple do have nice OS, however, I see them [the OS] more of a media "center"; image manipulation, video editing, music creation and others of the like. I'm not sure why I think like this, perhaps it's just the consensus to which I tag with Apple.

Moving along from that, I've never tried Linux for a long period of time on a laptop/desktop, so I guess I've just tunnel visioned myself to use Windows.

I LOVE (you see that alain) my Macs. I have a 13" macbook which is the last version before they made "Pro" and its still kicken and a 27" iMac which I also love but mostly use my macbook. And Dayo if you did wanna go back to Win Os may I suggest Parallels? I think there is a problem with Lion and it may be fixed but if you decide to go with it and what not look into that. I used to have Parallels a while back and it was great and that way you get the best of both worlds

Well, in my production center at dev HQ, I have both Mac and Windows for the programming side and Linux LAMP servers for the actual web servers, so really, I can't state a side as I am neutral. :)

However, for sake of argument, I guess Mac is a choice for me.

I have been for the last few years and for the foreseeable future at this point, a Linux fan.

For me its probably ease of use that attracts me to it. It does everything i need, updates and bug fixes are regular.

Currently running Ubuntu 12.10

Before this, i had a G5 iMac but that ended after an argument between the mac and the floor.

I do like them, but cant afford one now days.

As for windows, i havent had a computer running it in about 10 years, so i cant really comment on them now days.

Edited by Hedge

i mostly use Windows 7 as much better for developing and also do gaming on my PC also and we all know windows is the best for that as the rest have crap compatibility and also i use Linux for Android development as it is much better i find as i build AOSP Apps and Windows dont support/crap support for that and for Mac OS i don't really find it useful unless needing to build a iOS app then i just stick it in a virtual box apart from that Windows does everything i need it to.