MakeWebGames

Original Creator Of GRPG Here :)

publius

Hello everyone, my name is Brandon Werner and I'm the original creator of the GRPG framework. I created it when I was a sophomore in high school as a way of learning PHP and making a little money on the side, after a year or two the engine's popularity dropped quite a bit, and because I didn't encrypt any of it and left it completely open for customization, it ended up getting uploaded to a bunch of pirating sites and after no sales for 6 months and a lack of interest, I stopped renewing the domain name and working on the game. After high school I became a CNC machinist for a company that makes parts for Boeing, and am now a lead over a small number of employees in the work center of the shop that makes wing ribs for the 787. I was talking to some of my employees today about how I used to be a web developer and I was searching google for The GRPG related posts and found this forum, and was just curious if people were still using my engine! I'm surprised to see that it appears to still be actively used, and was just wondering if I could be of any assistance, I am aware it isn't the best coded game, and it has some security related vulnerablities for sure, as this was my first huge PHP project, but I'm interested in getting back into my first passion (programming / scripting) and figured here was as good a place to start as any.

Anyway, hit me up at [email protected] (I no longer use the [email protected] address) or reply to this thread if you are still using GRPG or are interested in using it, I'd like to see what has become of my high school project and any games that currently run my framework, call it nostalgia :P

Also I can see that people have gone through and done some massive security fixing on it, does anyone who has a solid copy with that script mind sending me the updated version? You can send it to the [email protected] address that I used to use, that way you know you are sending it to the original creator, not someone who is wanting a pirated copy of the script, as I still have access to that e-mail account, I just no longer use it as my primary. I'd like to get this project started up again, and either open source it with the updated bug fixes, or at least sell a better secured version of the game for like $20 and start supporting it again. I'll pay whoever did security fixes on it for their effort if so. Thanks :)

Glad to see you back. There has been a lot of talk recently about GRPG. I dont "own" a copy but will tell you right now that I ended up finding a copy of it online and load it up on localhost just to check it out but didnt know what i was going at the time so didnt get very far but from what i seen i did like it quite a bit. And im sure tons of people here will be glad to see you coming back

Thanks I appreciate it :) And yeah, I'm not worried about people getting it for free, I abandoned the project and hold no ill will towards people who got it for free whatsoever, I would just like to get back into scripting again and seeing as how it appears that there is still a small amount of interest in it, I figured it would be fun to start working on this again :)

Publius, I have to say I'm a fan. I have a copy of GRPG; although I don't know what version. Some of the files have a "Date Modified" Status of 10/14/2007. A friend of mine sent it to me when I first got into programming, so I don't know if it was a pirated copy or not. But, I'm sure I have the archive still.

Also, I'm working on a game based off of many of your features and concepts in GRPG. It's nowhere near the completed stage, but feel free to take a look there.

Why not rewrite the project? Not to be rude, but I'm quite sure on what the project stands on is fairly not up-to-date whatsoever when it comes to the PHP world. Today, we have a lot new great features, among these are i.e namespaces. The password hashing probably used would be sha1 or md5 that would be insecure nowadays anyway. Get an old version, have a look at its architecture and see on how you can rewrite it better.

@strangeeyes, no it doesn't, it merely confirms I'm considering making it open source freeware but haven't decided yet.

@aventro good idea, I am deciding between reworking this project, or finishing a tile-based PBBG engine that i started a few years back, something akin to games such as fallen sword if you are familiar with it. I got the inventory / equipment system in place, a quest system, combat system, creature system and map editor with lots of features, everything of course grabbed dynamically from a mysql database, nothing hard coded so that a front end could be written that would allow for someone with no coding experience whatsoever to add an entirely different tile set for the map, add creature images, and create new mobs, new maps, new items and quests with specified requirements to be met in order to complete the quest (e.g. find x number of a certain item, kill x number of specific mob etc.) and the quests would be triggered by visiting certain npcs on the map. This would allow for anyone with no programming experience to completely change even the entire setting from medieval times to outer space etc.

Would anyone be interested in the aforementioned new PBBG engine? I feel like the GRPG style of PBBG is overplayed now and kind of want to try a different style of game... Just drop me a line via e-mail or with a reply to this post as to which engine you would rather see me work on.

Thanks!

[email protected]

Edited by publius
added e-mail

@strangeeyes, no it doesn't, it merely confirms I'm considering making it open source freeware but haven't decided yet.

@aventro good idea, I am deciding between reworking this project, or finishing a tile-based PBBG engine that i started a few years back, something akin to games such as fallen sword if you are familiar with it. I got the inventory / equipment system in place, a quest system, combat system, creature system and map editor with lots of features, everything of course grabbed dynamically from a mysql database, nothing hard coded so that a front end could be written that would allow for someone with no coding experience whatsoever to add an entirely different tile set for the map, add creature images, and create new mobs, new maps, new items and quests with specified requirements to be met in order to complete the quest (e.g. find x number of a certain item, kill x number of specific mob etc.) and the quests would be triggered by visiting certain npcs on the map. This would allow for anyone with no programming experience to completely change even the entire setting from medieval times to outer space etc.

Would anyone be interested in the aforementioned new PBBG engine? I feel like the GRPG style of PBBG is overplayed now and kind of want to try a different style of game... Just drop me a line via e-mail or with a reply to this post as to which engine you would rather see me work on.

Thanks!

[email protected]

The second one sounds more interesting, what technology will you be using? I suppose it isnt using HTML5 at all?

PHP, Javascript (AJAX for character movement on the map without a complete refresh of page, only a refresh of the map tiles), MySQL

I haven't messed with PHP in a few years, nor learned anything about HTML 5 at all yet, as I've just been focused on my day job, and I'll probably be coming here (since this seems like quite a friendly and helpful group of people) as well posting in other forums for help with preventing MySQL injection vulnerabilities etc.

What sort of things would HTML 5 be handy for, in the case of a game like this? What sort of tricks and slick new features does HTML 5 offer?

Publius, y u no check email?

And hey. I sent you around 10/15 emails about 2 years ago asking to outright buy the GRPG rights along with the domain.

Seen as you're going to be "recoding" GRPG would you mind if I joined the team.

I have 2 years + knowledge of GRPG and would gladly help.

Regards Z

@someone: Thanks I will look into that!

@newttster: Thanks I appreciate it!

@z:

"y i no check old email" (lol) is because I got a new one that sounds better and I no longer received inquiries about GRPG for 5 months or so straight and stopped checking my old one. If I start work on GRPG again I will get in touch with you for sure, but for now my new game is my priority. If you are still interested in buying the rights to GRPG outright, let me know and I'll cut you a damn good deal :)

• 5 months later...
Excuse me? Why are you lying? I am TheGRPG owner.

Please verify me by emailing [email protected] and I will reply to it.

Your first post and you are already starting a battle huh?

When you come here and start telling people they are liars, scammers, etc please be aware that you should probably show some proof. Us sending you an email doesnt prove anything. Hell, why are you lying? I'm the owner of GRPG send me an email and I'll reply to it.

See how that works? It doesnt, so get some facts please

Why not rewrite the project? Not to be rude, but I'm quite sure on what the project stands on is fairly not up-to-date whatsoever when it comes to the PHP world. Today, we have a lot new great features, among these are i.e namespaces. The password hashing probably used would be sha1 or md5 that would be insecure nowadays anyway. Get an old version, have a look at its architecture and see on how you can rewrite it better.

then what kind of password hashing i should use ?

then what kind of password hashing i should use ?

No password is truely secure, at the end of the day bruteforcing against a leaked database is just one way, however give http://php.net/manual/en/faq.passwords.php a read.

Recently SMF was hacked because of the reason above, some admin used the same password on another site, the hacker bruteforced against it (Thread here

If you have a decent GPU you can bruteforce at a rate of several billion hashs per second (This thread here explains hashs per second) a quote from that article

[uPDATE: Take a look at this - whitepixel 2 running with 4 x HD 5970 cards (8 x GPUs) capable of 33.1 billion MD5 password hashes/sec.

Excuse me? Why are you lying? I am TheGRPG owner.

Please verify me by emailing [email protected] and I will reply to it.

I'm still picking off this, this poster is sort of late claiming this falsly as Grant recieved all rights a few months ago.

ALSO I'M THE OWNER ASWELL THESE ARE MY EMAILS

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

THE LIST CAN GO ON (I DON'T OWN ANY OF THESE EMAILS BTW JUST SAYING, THE EMAIL EXCUSE IS A POOR EXAMPLE)

• 2 months later...