MakeWebGames

[NOOB] Creating A New Game HELP!

WhiteGold Spunk

Hello,

As I clearly stated in the Thread Name, I am a noob, Noobie, Never been on here befor as I only found found out about it today, Never even tried creating a Game, And I was told to come on here and somebody would hopefully help me out??

So,

I've want to create a Online Web-Based Game, As such "Yoville" on Facebook/Myspace created by Zynga...Just ALOT of problems tho, I have NO IDEA how to create this or even start! Can anybody maybe inbox me or comment on here how to start please? I need all the help & tips I can get, Thanks guys :D

Curteis.

Are you going to be doing everthing yourself? Like the coding, images, db management, etc.

Are you planning to pay someone to do all of this for you?

If you are planning to do all of this yourself, there are plenty of threads here to assist you. Start with going to the forum tab, scroll down til you see the Technics section and browse through there to start learning. The web has tons of resources to help with this also. If this is something that you plan to undertake yourself with no prior knowledge then expect to spend a great deal of time to produce something that people will want to play. You are probably looking at minimum 1 year plus, and that's assuming that you learn really fast and do nothing but this.

If you plan to pay someone to do all of this for you ... well then ... I would say you are looking at minimum around $5,000 and that would be just a bare bones game. No special features, systems, graphics. For someone to do an outstanding game for you with everything included ... depending on who does it for you ... $15,000 plus if not thousands more than that. High? You bet ... they would be doing everything for you and that takes time, I would say around $15-$20 per hour.

Good luck.

Games like Yoville (yet I must admit I never played it), requires tons of game art a good amount of work on the code to make it work and maybe even some sound / music. If you never did any of those, then... I would strongly suggest to start with something simple and more doable for your skills. Even a "guess my number" may require some thinking if you never programmed. So starting with something as complex / complete than Yoville will simply lead nowhere.

Specifically Zynga games, but probably applies to other FB/MySpace games: Most of them are comprised of Flash/Action Script along with MySQL,XML and then whatever server-side language they use.

So a good bet, would be to start researching these, and learning what you can.

A lot goes into a game of any kind, stories to be created, designs to be done, art work to be created, game to be developed, so on and so forth.

Perhaps also do some research into game development in general, to get a feel for what it's like.

If you still want to go through with it, start like A_Bertrand says; off small with something as basic as a guess my number, then gradually work your way up.

The alternative, pay someone to do everything for you, but that could become quite costly, and there's no fun in that.

Good luck, with your project.

-DJK.

@rulerofzu

As Sniko said, Planning is key!

I've spent almost 3 weeks planning a game and still no where near finished.

He didn't state it takes 3 weeks, he stated he has spent 3 weeks planning and still NOT finished. Meaning it takes longer time frame.

To me not even a year would touch it longer for me, but that is if your starting from scratch and not using any engine that is premade.

Edited by lucky3809

@rulerofzu

He didn't state it takes 3 weeks, he stated he has spent 3 weeks planning and still NOT finished. Meaning it takes longer time frame.

To me not even a year would touch it longer for me, but that is if your starting from scratch and not using any engine that is premade.

Ha, custom made + planning should not take you longer than a year. With only 1 developer. As I have coded year1920.com from scratch in an 8 month period.

I seen year1920.com for over year floating around on here and yet when you go to the link it's still being "coming soon.." on it if it has taken 8 moths that 8 months is well over due so why is it not a functioning game now?!

Topic made back in May of the 23rd 2011

http://makewebgames.io/showthread.php/39420-Web-Programmer-for-Hire-Need?highlight=year1920

It is Nov 5th 2012! and your saying 8 months?

Edited by lucky3809

I seen year1920.com for over year floating around on here and yet when you go to the link it's still being "coming soon.." on it if it has taken 8 moths that 8 months is well over due so why is it not a functioning game now?!

Topic made back in May of the 23rd 2011

http://makewebgames.io/showthread.php/39420-Web-Programmer-for-Hire-Need?highlight=year1920

It is Nov 5th 2012! and your saying 8 months?

Stupid, that post is when peter was hiring. Which i came took the position.

We then scrapped mccode's and started from scratch. I started in February/March 2012.