MakeWebGames

MCCodes Releases Updated Versions for all Paid MCCodes Products

Dabomstew

MCCodes would like to announce today the availability of the following updated versions of MCC products:

• MCCodes 1.1.1
  • MCCodes 2.0.5
  • MCCodes Redux 2.5.6

MCCodes 2.0.5 is a patch on top of 2.0.4 which addresses a few bugs found in 2.0.4 and adds a couple more optimizations made in the development of 1.1.1 and 2.5.6, while 1.1.1 and 2.5.6 effectively bring MCCodes v1 and Redux up to the standard of 2.0.4/5.

Changelogs for 1.1.1 and 2.0.5 are attached to this post, there is no changelog available for 2.5.6 but it essentially contains the same bug & security fixes that 2.0.4 did for MCCodes v2 games.

Please report bugs through our bug tracker, or here if you prefer (though reporting them to our official bug tracker is much better for us)

Update Paths Information

Version 1.1.1

Please do not try to upload the 1.1.1 files over your old version MCCodes v1 games - they require edits & possible database changes first. Contact MCCodes for assistance if you wish to update a relatively new v1 game with them.

Version 2.0.5

If you wish to place the 2.0.5 files over your (UNMODIFIED) 2.0.4 ones you can do so without having to make any database changes.

Version 2.5.6

If you want to just place the 2.5.6 files over your (UNMODIFIED) 2.5.5 ones you can do so and have it function correctly by executing the following SQL queries:

INSERT INTO `settings` (`conf_name`, `conf_value`) VALUES('jquery_location', 'js/jquery-1.7.1.min.js');
ALTER TABLE `userstats` ADD PRIMARY KEY ( `userid` ) ;
ALTER TABLE `forum_posts` CHANGE `fp_text` `fp_text` TEXT CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_swedish_ci NOT NULL DEFAULT '';
ALTER TABLE `fedjail` ADD UNIQUE (`fed_userid`);
ALTER TABLE `users` ADD `pass_salt` VARCHAR( 8 ) CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_swedish_ci NOT NULL ;

changelog_111.txt

changelog_205.txt

INSERTINTO`settings` (`conf_name`, `conf_value`) VALUES('jquery_location', 'js/jquery-1.7.1.min.js');

your specifying the location of jquery in a database query? is it 1st April?

They're from Australia... so who knows.

Anyway, yes, that is bad. Databases aren't meant for "static" data, even less when it's version'd.

my frav file from the 2.0.5 download has to be DO_NOT_UPLOAD.txt

HAHAH

Another barrel of laughs from mccodes. Google has a great thing where you can use their files :O I tried, but I couldn't keep it a secret any longer.

And again, salt in the db will do nothing, may aswell just use a salt of their email or login name.

jQuery location is stored in settings so the user can change it to use any APIs server they wish... We just provide a copy which is guaranteed to work and they can go from there. You may not approve of us storing settings in the database fullstop, but that's how its been for every v2/Redux version...

As for DO_NOT_UPLOAD? It may mean something more like "do not upload without reading what this is and how to use it first", but it gets the point across.

I don't know why you flame McCodes procedures of doing things, as I remember most of you, excluding Spudinski, having developed for a McCodes game, or at least made a few systems for the engine.

Programming/MakeWebGames isn't about flaming and not giving advice, it's about sharing ideas, giving support and advice.

I support the patches that come out from the McCodes team, as not only does it make developers life easier, by providing them things that they'll have to do, but allowing you to see how 1 person/group solve a solution, and you adapting on it, if need be.

I don't know why you flame McCodes procedures of doing things, as I remember most of you, excluding Spudinski, having developed for a McCodes game, or at least made a few systems for the engine.

Programming/MakeWebGames isn't about flaming and not giving advice, it's about sharing ideas, giving support and advice.

I support the patches that come out from the McCodes team, as not only does it make developers life easier, by providing them things that they'll have to do, but allowing you to see how 1 person/group solve a solution, and you adapting on it, if need be.

Sure, I support the patches, but isnt it about 6 years too late. Actually, scrap that, why was a product that bad allowed to be sold at such an extortionate price?

Yes, I've made things for mccodes, mainly for money though, hence why I've moved on to other projects, that no longer involve mccodes, browser-based games, or even PHP.

jQuery location is stored in settings so the user can change it to use any APIs server they wish... We just provide a copy which is guaranteed to work and they can go from there. You may not approve of us storing settings in the database fullstop, but that's how its been for every v2/Redux version...

Is it guaranteed to work, its in another directory, now we've all seen the classic error of not uploading the "class" directory, what makes you think they will upload this one? Also, why the numbered version of jQuery, what if I wanted to update it too 1.7.2 (When its out) why not just use the latest google version, lets face it, google is 99% more likley to be up and running that your own site, aswell as always being updated to the latest stable version.

Yeah my game was based on the engine but a lot of it got removed replaced recoded. I dont try and re-invent the wheel I just make a better version of it.

Adding jquery location to the database is stupid. I dont really care if its been in every version of Redux. Its just a stupid thing to do and well flaming is to be expected. They have no respect for this community never have so they should not expect anything else.

With every release the whole engine just seems to get worse and to be honest it just looks like they are searching around online finding a code snippet posted by someone and thinking yeah that could go in the next version without any real understanding of what they are doing.

They're from Australia... so who knows.

Thought it was New Zealand?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but to change from Jquery to another JS library would require a lot more than just changing the one file. On top of that updating to a newer version of Jquery would be as easy as uploading the new file over the older version. I don’t see how having it as a setting is helpful to site owner.

I also support the patches, but if no one questioned their way of implementing things nothing would change. It’s normally such posts that point out the things that need fixing in the patch.

Is it guaranteed to work, its in another directory, now we've all seen the classic error of not uploading the "class" directory, what makes you think they will upload this one? Also, why the numbered version of jQuery, what if I wanted to update it too 1.7.2 (When its out) why not just use the latest google version, lets face it, google is 99% more likley to be up and running that your own site, aswell as always being updated to the latest stable version.

It's probably better to update the version yourself in case anything within the site needs changing due to the libraries latest updates. I don't use Jquery much, but is it really unheard of for a new version of it to cause problems for those on older versions?

So to keep this short, like I initially intended, let's be straight here.

If you want to help, feel free. If you want to flame, feel free. If you want to praise, feel free.

And that applies to anyone on a forum, anywhere.

Meaning: People assume mc code support, but what happened if all the users decided we don't want to support anything mc code? What if we only want to support GRPG? Or not support anything but talk about sport all day? You see where this is going, right?

The problem with this logic it quite simple; we want to be a useful resource to everyone. Freedom of speech is all well, and good, but people will always get sick of reading the same things over, and over again. If you wish to criticize something at least be constructive.

If all the users picked to head over to another engine or even simply learn more PHP rather than be mccodes specific (as many seem to be) it would never be discouraged, however the majority of users post about mccodes because they have some kind of link to it.

A forum is always what the community makes it, but the hope is always that those members make it something others can use as a resource. In this kind of thread that would mean constructive criticism for mccodes, and those who are currently running it for their site. What’s the point of a forum if people get nothing out of posting/reading threads?

Further clarification on the jquery setting: It's inserted as-is into the HTML <script src=''>. Therefore if you want to use Google APIs hosting for the jQuery it's as simple as changing the setting to point to that. And the uptime thing really isn't relevant, as there should be no way the js file (a relative path) and the file you're accessing it from (the register page on the same server!) would be down at the same time.

There is a difference between "new bad coding" and "not changing what's already there". The register page already loads the settings array from the database, so there is little reason why we shouldn't use that to allow the user to specify the location (relative or not) of a functional jQuery library. Changing existing MCCodes versions to adhere to what some of you call "good coding" is not what these patches are about - they're about fixing the bugs and security flaws with a minimum of fuss, without breaking stuff like mod compatibility.

Nicely explained Dabs. Let's hope rulerofzu and possibly others now gets a better idea for the purpose of the patches released and effort put in to fixing all bugs & security flaws.

@SRB: A forum is a place where a user who is a part of a community comes to post a thread in an appropriate forum board. The subject of the thread should only contain relevant comments, questions, opinions etc semi-strictly to that subject only. Blind raging about other external factors (such as hitler, other factors of MCCodes/mmorpg experiences) can be shared else where. I hope this is cleared now and the MWG moderation team will not accept any non-constructive blind criticism/rage. It'll be better off if you post constructive feedback on or simply ignore things that don't please you.

Stay on topic.

I actually support McCodes on the issue. I hardly see why giving yet more configurations options is actually bad. If you don't use the database for configuration, then you must use a file, no other ways around. So is the file faster than the database? Maybe but it has to be proven. If not then what would be the advantage to use a file? Sorry I'm maybe blind (also because I don't know how McCodes works), still I would love to understand really the issue.

If the real issue is the fact you didn't got updates for 6 years, well, I may agree it wasn't really a good practice, yet, they started to do it. Actually I doubt that ANY running game will simply pick up the update and install as it would mean find the differences and merge the patch to their code as we all know that any modification to an McCodes game means modifying some files which ends up of having your code mixed with the original code. Therefore this patch is good for new games or future owners.

For those of you which doesn't like McCodes style, fine, simply don't use it. I doubt anybody here will ever force you to use it, even less myself. But I find trying to see always the same kind of flaming without actually seeing real issues. If you don't like something, it's your right, but unless you propose an alternative, it's then just destructive comments, and for that I have little acceptance.

Nicely explained Dabs. Let's hope rulerofzu and possibly others now gets a better idea for the purpose of the patches released and effort put in to fixing all bugs & security flaws.

@SRB: A forum is a place where a user who is a part of a community comes to post a thread in an appropriate forum board. The subject of the thread should only contain relevant comments, questions, opinions etc semi-strictly to that subject only. Blind raging about other external factors (such as hitler, other factors of MCCodes/mmorpg experiences) can be shared else where. I hope this is cleared now and the MWG moderation team will not accept any non-constructive blind criticism/rage. It'll be better off if you post constructive feedback on or simply ignore things that don't please you.

Stay on topic.

Sorry I find that far from nicely explained. Yeah ok stand your ground but there is numerous reasons why that jquery is not a good idea but we can agree to differ.

SORRY BUT I BELIEVE THIS IS AN OPEN FORUM DO NOT DELETE CONTENT FROM MY POSTS WITHOUT MY PERMISSION.

Edited by rulerofzu
Only on topic content is accepted in this thread.

I actually support McCodes on the issue. I hardly see why giving yet more configurations options is actually bad. If you don't use the database for configuration, then you must use a file, no other ways around. So is the file faster than the database? Maybe but it has to be proven. If not then what would be the advantage to use a file? Sorry I'm maybe blind (also because I don't know how McCodes works), still I would love to understand really the issue.

Unless it's in a MEMORY table, it's not faster than simply having a file on disk.

It's an additional query to the database, which isn't needed.

What advantages a database method doesn't support:

- Versioning: Git, Subversion, etc. If you work with it, you're simply doomed - you will have no revision history, and no way to check for old dependencies.

- Library changes. There's no such thing as having multiple jQuery version switches in your code for client-side dependencies.

- Templating, again, you are limiting to a specific subset of rules. Most TPLEs will prepend the URL within the DOM <link/> and <script/> elements, no way to control this when going a SQL route.

I think that the amount of people to purchase the "new engine" will be greatly hindered due to the fact that if you do a google search on game engines, you cannot find anything nice being said about mccodes period. Don't worry though because the "powers that be" cant delete those comments. Three words...... "New World Engine"