MakeWebGames

Would you compete in a MWG Mini-Game Contest?

Sim

Would you compete in a MWG Mini-Game Contest?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Would you compete in a MWG Mini-Game Contest?

• Yes
    • No

wait, i thought danny was being a dick until you said that he said 'dreamweaver users newbs'

Dreamweaver users are newbs, unless in the rare case where you have enough knowledge to really take advantage of that sort of program.

I cba to waste any disk space on something like that.

wait, i thought danny was being a dick until you said that he said 'dreamweaver users newbs'

Dreamweaver users are newbs, unless in the rare case where you have enough knowledge to really take advantage of that sort of program.

I cba to waste any disk space on something like that.

I used dreamweaver for the first few years of my web development. I preferred the code highlighting and hadn't discovered netbeans yet. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Dreamweaver it's just a widely used program.

Now try and keep this topic, on topic.

How big/small are you looking to make the project? For example a user profile system could cover everything from just a login & profile page all the way to login,profile, edit settings, stats (for whatever that site may be... e.g. visits) etc... So how mini is "mini"?

I would not go for too big projects. Projects that takes 1-2 hour max would be my idea otherwise people would not submit it as it would be too much work for just a little fun. Question, which language? PHP only? What would be judged on? Code quality? Speed? Short code? Or first to submit?

I would not go for too big projects. Projects that takes 1-2 hour max would be my idea otherwise people would not submit it as it would be too much work for just a little fun. Question, which language? PHP only? What would be judged on? Code quality? Speed? Short code? Or first to submit?

Very good points, i'll give it a go. :)

@A_betrand: I have posted this somewhere in another thread, one that is also about ideas around a kind of things like these. Of course there is more we could judge on, but those are important areas I'd say. Also, I said 10h for an average developer on mwg, you could probably do it in 3h or less :-P. But I do feel you need to put some time in the contest and not just type for half an hour and be done with it. However, contests could vary from time to time, it's not like we always have to have contests of 5h worth of work ;)

Scripts should be judged on at least the following:

readability -> how easy it is for others to read the code

usability -> how easy to use the script is

security -> whether there are simple ways to "cheat the system"

complexity -> how complex the written code is for the given task

And of course ... how close it is to the given subject!

Well I find your suggestion good Nickson, remains to see what kind of subject we come with. Also do we rely on a framework / existing script or we assume you start from 0? For example do we do mods for McCode?

A good idea would be to make a mini game from scratch. For example, a game of hangman, high/low card game ect ect...

Thats the fun part of a monthly mini-contest! We could change the contest each time a little bit so users would need to take a different approach each time. We could introduce new technics/tools/frameworks/... via the contests, but we could also create a simple contest where people have to create a certain mod for something else. It really leaves us with quite a bit of options. And if the users don't like it, they can always skip a content and join in on the next one. This also gives us the chance to create contests that go beyond php for those that wish too!

A good idea would be to make a mini game from scratch. For example, a game of hangman, high/low card game ect ect...

We already did that, hangman in php / c# / js for those that liked. There was hardly anyone who reacted on it. So basically, this is the second time we'll try this ;)

more info about that here : http://makewebgames.io/content.php/144-From-theory-to-a-game

If you use one of the game engines I would suggest one of the less used ones. In any case I believe stand alone application would be better. You could just have a contest where people create a function to do a set job e.g. Give as much information about this images as possible. Question is what would the people who voted "yes" want to do?