MakeWebGames

Advert experiences and feeback

a_bertrand

Ok, now that I spent quiet some money in different advert campaigns and checked the results / price for each, I decided to post here my results. You are welcome to put your own results / comments / questions:

From the best to the worse:

GAO (https://www.game-advertising-online.com/)

Money goes down quickly if you don't put limits on the high impression sites. Also, don't put too much money on a single click. It doesn't matter how's the percent of display, it will already attract people with very low numbers. From my own experiences, this is the best network for advertisement, and I do pay generally about 40-45 cents a registration. Something to mind however is in which language is the site where your banner will run on. Don't put it on something which is not on the same language as yours, as new players will simply stop because they don't understand your game.

Payment via paypal

Adtoll (http://www.adtoll.com/)

Use runs of the network, which tends to give better results and are easier to manage. Depending on which sites are currently on the network, your money can go down pretty quickly. The cost of a registration here is more expensive than GAO and it's about 70-80 cents per registration

Payment via paypal

Adbrite (http://www.adbrite.com)

Bad tools, bad review process of your adverts (submitted twice the same advert, first time refused, second accepted... don't ask me why). It's slow, doesn't have many affiliate, and registrations are expensive. About 4-5$ per registration.

Payment via credit card

Google ad words

Good tools, even if not really easy to use, you need some time to really dig into it. Need quiet some money to make it really work, and the registration price is about 5-6$ per registrations. So not really something I would use in long term unless you really have loads of money to burn.

Payment via credit card

I tried also other things, but honestly none gave out good results. Best ways are still blogs, forums and banner / link exchanges for free traffic.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Thanks, but not sure if social networks are really what would boost my adverts. I still believe that showing my ads in other games (or game related sites) is the best way as it will be displayed to the right public (those which want to play).

I don't think so. As long as you didn't create a highly experimental or hardcore game, there is no right public which want to play your game. In fact these people are not a good target for game owner, imo. Who likes bunch of expert players? I'd rather prefer noobs and newcomers to genre.

Btw, best ad is still word-of-mouth , imo . Adding an incentive (like referral bonus) is also a good idea.

Yes, I give a reward, but people first of all have no clues how to advert and also are not always aware of the possibility of getting such reward (even if it is explained in multiple areas).

Many many ways to advert a game, and the best results remains: advert on other games or other game based websites.

Google, is the biggest advertiser, so you should have the best results on that.

I'd try Facebook Ad's as well if you are looking for game advertisement. FB Ads are solid, not too expensive, easy to use, has a massive audience and is a lot more definitive.

I tried Google, and basically had yes a lot of visits but a lot of lost visits which means people which didn't even want to try the game. Which ended up to about paying 5$ per registrations (which is a normal price for Google advert) against a 50 cents for game oriented networks. But please do whatever you think is best ;)

The ideal rate depends on the price of subscriptions, partied with the length of the players lifetime(on the game).

With 10USD subscriptions which lasts a month, 5USD would amount in a 55% loss at the end of the day. (based on x = n((2.5/100)(12 . 10)))

An ideal rate would be between 0 and 3USD*pushing it) per registration.

• 5 months later...

I got about $1.5 per registration at GAO and only about 1/3 will come back in a week. So the cost for an active player is about $5 from GAO.

Because my game just published two weeks ago, I sill not get much payments. So I can not evaluate how much an active player can pay in average.

I still feel that $5 per active player is a little expensive.

• 1 year later...
I tried Google, and basically had yes a lot of visits but a lot of lost visits which means people which didn't even want to try the game. Which ended up to about paying 5$ per registrations (which is a normal price for Google advert) against a 50 cents for game oriented networks. But please do whatever you think is best ;)

I'm sorry but your just giving false information here.

I pay less than .30 for users from Google... if your paying $5 each your doing something SERIOUSLY wrong.

It takes time to learn how to use Adwords, and skill. Once you get ready to spend $5k+/month PM me or go with jumpfly and hire a professional that knows how to use Adwords.

Well that's somewhat the normal price sadly. I didn't found something cheaper. If you go for a google advertisement it is even more expensive at the end.

How much did you spend with Google dude? $20?

bah just realized how old this post was...

• 2 weeks later...
Word of mouth and referrals counts for very little in new registrations, and I have the stats to say so ;)

I can agree with this, I am friends with game store owners who put out the word for my game, with little to no effect as of yet (so far about a month of time has passed) Also I have tried advertising on facebook. Actually paying to run an ad on there for about three months. It too seemed fruitless, although I am not entirely sure I want to give up on that just yet. Perhaps my ad was the fault. I might give it another try and see if I have any better luck.

McCragge

• 1 month later...

I've spent $50 with game-advertising-online now and gotten (email activated) players at $1.88 per player. I'm going to work on the landing page and try another $50 to see how that goes. I'm thinking about removing the email verification as well, as I've seen a lot of new registrations that aren't activated.

Mobile apps in my experience seem to be a great way to find new players but also can open up to finding people who haven't played these types of games before. I mean how many people an hour actually sit just looking through apps and downloading things to see what there like when there bored? I do it sometimes and I imagine thousands if not millions of others do also.

Mobile apps in my experience seem to be a great way to find new players but also can open up to finding people who haven't played these types of games before. I mean how many people an hour actually sit just looking through apps and downloading things to see what there like when there bored? I do it sometimes and I imagine thousands if not millions of others do also.

I have two text based games available as android apps. Just creating the apps isn't enough. You're lucky to get one download / week. You gotta promote it there as well, and that costs..

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody had experience with directly paying webmasters for ads on their sites? Like buysellads.com and whatnot where you can buy ads off sites, including game-related ones. I wonder if it's more cost-effective than advertising networks.

I have two text based games available as android apps. Just creating the apps isn't enough. You're lucky to get one download / week. You gotta promote it there as well, and that costs..

Have you tried using stuff like Chrome Web Store?