MakeWebGames

NEAB engine FREE edition

a_bertrand

Hi,

Let me present myself. I'm Alain Bertrand, the creator of the NEAB Engine and the game called Nowhere Else and Beyond.

I would like first to thanks the admins of this forum for contacting me due to this odd situation where one of our customer try to sell our work. Anyhow from bad event, something good can come out:

1) I discovered this forum and its community.

2) We created something which should please everyone.

To quickly reply to UCC, the NEABExplorer (the free version) is REALLY a stripped down version. And by buying the full one, you will have a lot more features. So don't worry you will not use something everybody has out there.

However, the free version is not encoded/encrypted, we let you see all our code, and add your own stuff there if you want. You cannot however use it for any commercial purpose that means if you ask money to your players you will be in troubles.

Now, I placed some info on our engine page, as well as the new download link. I hope everything works, but as this is a first release, and we took as well the opportunity to re-organize the files, some bugs could still be in this package. So let me know if it is the case, and I will promptly fix them.

Final note, we don't offer any type of support for this version, so don't contact me to ask how to install it. An install.txt file is in the zip, and with this you should be up and running. If not try to ask other people in this forum or in our.

BTW the ZIP file is big as it contains also all the documentation about the NEABExplorer engine and all the art (about 11Mb).

Download page: http://www.nowhere-else.org/engine

NEAB engine FREE edition

Hey Alain, welcome to CE i hope you keep coming back and enjoy our community, most of us do!

Thanks for this i myself wont try it out as i will be too tempted to buy it and i need to get my own stuff finished first but it looks great!

Guest Anonymous

Re: NEAB engine FREE edition

LOL tittlemouse...we wouldnt have known...so you did your part.

To Alain thank you for your contribution to CE and welcome...hopefully you will stay and enjoy the growing community we have here.

I do have a few quick questions ...I see you mentioned the free version is not to be used for commercial use ... what if they buy a full version?

Also...by commercial use you stated asking members for money. What about selling advertisement to the game site ...would that also be not allowed?

Im not asking for myself but would like some clarification for the game developers that do frequent CE. As Im sure you know, its a time consumming task and most do try to seek some sort of monetary balance for their time.

First of all, thanks for the warm welcome to everybody.

Special thanks to Littlemouse for the finding. Happy that at least nobody bought something which wasn't the original and it was even sold to a bigger price than what we do.

To answer to Scarlet, the micro and mini version can be used for commercial purpose. It is not however allowed to sell / resell / distribute derivative works or the engine. That means, if you make a plug-in, or a full game which use the engine you cannot sell it, nor distribute it for free ;-) You can however develop plug-ins / modules and sell them separately of the engine, or ask money to your members (or gain from the ads).

For the free version you cannot ask money to your members (like donations or fees to play), or gain money from advertisement on the site which use the free engine.

The reason for it, is the following, if you gain money, you could at least pay 50$ as one time fee for the micro engine. The Explorer version is really for people which want to try it and don't want to gain money at all.

To answer to UCC, the game engine is really part of the code we use on our own game. So we know it's useful / usable ;-) And we will continue to develop it as long as there is some interest. Our development procedure is the following: we improve our own game, when some features is considered mature, we discuss if we port it to the game engine or not. When I mean port, is really a port, because the code base in the engine is much cleaner and maintainable than our own game (due to just it's own growing and impossibility to switch it off to clean it up). The first engine to benefit any change is the miniNEAB. Some port are then passed to the two others. Just as a side note, if you buy one of the engines you will be able to download for free any new version of the same engine. We don't plan to block this, that mean you will receive for free any updates. The drawback is that if you modify heavily your engine, you will have to take care of your own upgrade...

Last thing, all our engines are designed with modules, which means you can easily plug any new features you could think of, I strongly suggest to download the Explorer version, and check it out.

As for the future of the engine, we are currently developing a special game client, which will glue to the web interface. By that, I mean you will be able to play via web as you did so far, but you can also download the game client, and enjoy the advantage it offers (for example a faster and bigger 2D map, on map chat, etc...). Once this game client is finished, we will certainly offer it to our customers, now it's not clear if this will be part of the miniNEAB engine or if you will need to purchase it as additional option. Another feature which will certainly be ported is the new weight system. So far in the game engine players do not have any restriction to the amount of items they can carry with. With the new weight system this is not anymore the case, and a few additional features are glued on top of that, for example, treasure burring, map drops, and others. I suggest you to check the main game news to see what could be ported in the future in the game engine (http://www.nowhere-else.org/rpg/index.php?ACTION=NEWS)

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the clarification...its sounds like you guys put alot of work and effort into this engine and its continued development.

Well, the miniNEAB engine contains nearly 30'000 Lines of PHP code and a bit more than 7'000 lines of JavaScript and the database schema contains 83 tables. So yes we put a lot of effort. You may count nearly a 2 years full time job for one person to reach this.

Definetly the best engine so far , i am gonna start saving up :-)

This is the best engine by far , even beats DBS for me , and most suprising it beats Kiddy Kartel for me XD

Nice job Alan

Thanks Legend. I must admit I didn't checked much the other web game engines. The only thing that I must say is that I checked quite a few web games out there, and none so far offered a 2D map like ours, where you don't need to reload the page on each step, and you can talk to NPC directly. Even the combat system offered in the micro or mini version of the engine is something special: most web games, when entering combats, are just a list of buttons which give some a few options like swing, magic, run. Our strategic combat system is really different, as it offers the option to battle multiple monsters, run behind some items, ranged combat and more.

Anyhow I would be interested to check all those other game engine, but I simply don't have the time.

say isit hard to make an rpg engine.

Well, it's not a walk in the park lol. Takes a very long time with lots of work to even out economies/fix bugs/set game restrictions all while making it fun to play.

Not exactly easy.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 years later...
  • Dave locked this topic