MakeWebGames

Offshore Hosing

MNG

The servers I manage are dotted around the planet. Only 2 of them are local (to the UK).
That being said, I'm not paying specifically for servers to be located elsewhere, it just so happens that they're not in the UK.
It can be used for providing a closer-to-home mirror of a site to doing things otherwise illegal on home soil - not that I would know, of course.

Personally, I have no issue with offshore hosting, nor do I have much of an opinion on using them specifically because they're not homegrown.
If you require an offshore host, you do you. In most cases you're likely to find here, (almost) any webserver will suffice

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave said:

The only reason you'd need an offshore host is if you weren't doing something legal with your application. If so there's a lot more other concerns you should be worried about then the location of the servers. 

I remember when someone could send a DMCA to your host and that provider would suspend the site for 24hrs then when they found out it was legit they'll unsuspend it. I think this was a problem back in the day. I'm not proud of it but I was taught by a vet on here and took down many of my competition that way. I think that's why I always chose offshore servers over US servers. 

• Like 1