MakeWebGames

Current projects

Dominion

I am working on two con-currently, one with travis theforbiddenage.com and one with a work colleague re-developing an existing 12 year old game, with from my knowledge a unique gameplay.

Theforbiddenage.com looked good(I just looked at the old thread). Best of luck with it.

Did you drop the GangsterLegend recode?

I am, http://pirate-empire.com/ not much to it ATM but over the next few months I hope to see it enter the ALPAH stage.

That layout looks very good.

I really just been experimenting with code I am not fully familiar with. I am also working on http://www.gamemakersforums.com trying to grow it. No real personal projects yet even though I do have a few I touch every now and then a JS chess game, oRPG Creator, my cheat code network. Researching various things to start a local business

Free plug for your forums. :p

Cheat code network? Best of luck with your local business. Starting one up is long hours, but being your own boss is second to none in my opinion.

The plug is in my signature [MENTION=64687]Dominion[/MENTION] =}

I got 3 cheat code sites up. One based on each major company, Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony(PlayStation).

I have been thinking about doing tech services locally. Not coding but could possibly turn into that. More electronic repairs (computers, cell phones) then anything else.

The plug is in my signature [MENTION=64687]Dominion[/MENTION] =}

I've had them off for a long time. Ever since a few years ago when people started having signatures longer then their actual posts.

I haven't dropped GL v2 it's just put on hold for a while. Tbh I'm bored with PHP, most of what I code now is node.js I just find JS a much nicer language to work with

PHP has always been strange. It's also always been one of the easier web languages to pick up. Think of how many people used, and hated Java at the same time. :p

A couple iPhone apps accompanied by web apps - it's pretty fun, tiring, profitable, and stressful. The infamous mix of a web developer.

What about yourself [MENTION=64687]Dominion[/MENTION]?

Been away for a while. I'm looking at opening a game following through with the plans I had at the start of the year, but I doubt I will do much beyond planning until after Christmas.

I've been around on the android boards, but nothing major. Most of my time been taken up with other stuff.

I'm working on Skynet.

Be careful. I hear others working on that project have been terminated.

Edited by Dominion

[MENTION=52003]Dave Macaulay[/MENTION] @~Robot [MENTION=71663]IllegalPigeon[/MENTION] PHP boring because there is nothing new to learn about it. You can create the different stuff with it at anytime, but who likes writing the same type of code over and over. Your limited in PHP. Even with JavaScript, PHP is still boring. It's just not as boring.

[MENTION=52003]Dave Macaulay[/MENTION] @~Robot [MENTION=71663]IllegalPigeon[/MENTION] PHP boring because there is nothing new to learn about it. You can create the different stuff with it at anytime, but who likes writing the same type of code over and over. Your limited in PHP. Even with JavaScript, PHP is still boring. It's just not as boring.

The problem with PHP is people try to make it something it's not. Well its come leaps and bounds from where it was back in php4's day it's still there for the main purpose of creating functional websites (for example this one). If you want something more advanced PHP isn't the way to go, fair enough, but PHP itself is as boring as you make it.

I always thought Python was better, but that might be because it's where I started. You always have that memory of the first time you develop something.

This makes no sense.

Broaden your scope with sprints and you're good. Learn a new framework, a new algorithm. You're implying language x has a infinite amount of algorithms that can't be implemented into PHP.

Also, PHP 7 has been released, which has a major changelog, so it's not "the same".

PHP boring because there is nothing new to learn about it

Calm down JCVenom

Edited by ~Rob0t
  • Like 1

This makes no sense.

Broaden your scope with sprints and you're good. Learn a new framework, a new algorithm. You're implying language x has a infinite amount of algorithms that can't be implemented into PHP.

Calm down JCVenom

Right now you are the one who is acting like JCVenom =}

There isn't many algorithms I did not know before I even started using PHP. Go learn some C/C#/C++ and your see the difference between limitations. PHP is great for people who only want or need to create back-ends for websites. It doesn't mean it's not boring and or limited. =}

I couldn't find a number on how many internal functions there are for PHP or for C#.

The whole idea of a programming language being boring is highly opinionated as for for the limitations of a programming language, one programming language is not going to suitable for everything which is why there are hundreds of different programming languages and not just one.

The whole idea of a programming language being boring is highly opinionated as for for the limitations of a programming language, one programming language is not going to suitable for everything which is why there are hundreds of different programming languages and not just one.

^This.

If you're bored of it there isn't much a language can do to convince you it's fun again. If you really want something interesting in PHP I'm sure you would be able to find something new to play with.

Money is always a good motivator @Script and @Dominion

PHP alone will never be fun again, mixing it with JavaScript though makes it more interesting.

Well isn't that pretty much an industry standard these days? I can't think of 1 site written in PHP that doesn't utilize some fashion of JS. Hell, even Codeigniter 2 comes with a JS library.

But back to the subject at hand. I put all my projects on hold because I am working on a Memorial site for my step father who just passed that day after Thanksgiving and building it using Laravel. And yes it's 4.2 because I will admit, I suck when it comes to trying to figure out all the namespaces to use and can't be bothered with trying to learn it all before his service on Sunday but I do want to try and learn Laravel the best I can because it is a neat framework.

But it when I do start doing projects for myself I much like [MENTION=71587]~Rob0t[/MENTION] have been dabbling in the App scene. I have been telling myself that I want to get out of "game" development and want to venture into the "professional" side of things and try to get into some utility type stuff.

I have been telling myself that I want to get out of "game" development and want to venture into the "professional" side of things and try to get into some utility type stuff.

Told myself that MANY MANY YEARS AGO. I am just now finally starting to dab.

But it when I do start doing projects for myself I much like [MENTION=71587]~Rob0t[/MENTION] have been dabbling in the App scene. I have been telling myself that I want to get out of "game" development and want to venture into the "professional" side of things and try to get into some utility type stuff.

My first venture into apps was doing a an app for people to check their accounts on an online based game. They don't have to be different things. More people play games on their phones now then every before.

• Like 1