MakeWebGames

Block users from your site.

Jimbo

I know you can block IPs and whatnot but that will not stop people from coming back.

I've got a very annoying person that constantly keeps coming back and messaging my players saying that my game is a scam and bullcrap.

I assume he is using proxies. Its annoying to ban every ip address he uses. Is there a more simple player to block unwanted users?

Thanks in advance. :)

Can't really block someone, if they are really wanting to mess with you. You can though put an age limit on when a player can mail or post in the forum, like they have to be active for 3 days, or has to commit so many crimes, before they can actually use that feature in your game. That will allow them to give up on the none sense if they are eager to spread such in your game.

Good question but in reality how many ways can your server identify people? The offenders IP address is probably the easiest way but like you said there are proxies and banning all the IPs and proxies can be very daunting and some people may have to access your site via proxy servers so you can lose some customers by doing that.

Another way but is a similar situation as I mentioned above is geolocation. I have never really messed with geolocations and block like a couple square miles/Km, but I assume it's also probably based on IP, in which they can hop on a proxy, hide their ass, or go mobile and you will be stuck in the same boat.

So so probably the most effective way I can think of off the top of my head is being a complete nuisance to him and ask for an email verification. Because who really wants to set up email after email after email when you ban him? Eventually you may make him decide to give up because it's more drama than he wishes to deal with

Yea im with Kyle here. Email activation is a must.

I would also block proxy registration. As much as possible anyway.

Perhaps block domains that offer throw away emails or temp emails also.

But most importantly i would send out a mass mail to the players of the game and ask them to report anyone doing that.

Perhaps even give your player base an incentive to do so. Like a small reward to the first person to report someone doing this.

If you are an honest admin then you have very little to worry about.

If you are infact a scammer and have pissed off players then you will never stop it.

I've already got a captcha on my registration just to slow sign ups. Email activation seems like a good idea the only reason I haven't added one yet is because there are so many sites to where you can get a temporary email. I even use temporary emails when checking out other websites and games just so my personal email doesn't get all spammed up. I've added an age limit and everything to my forums and stuff that has seemed to work a little bit. Most people don't want to wait 3 days to mess with you either. lol

Thanks everyone.

What I read here is you use temp emails to go spamming your little game on more established games that decent owners have worked hard building userbases and now you are getting a few pissed off owners repaying you.

Isn't karma a B1tch

Well I don't read that at all. Just because someone uses temp emails doesn't make them a spammer.

Also, if you know of such domains then you can add that to a filter to filter those out of you wish

GeoLocation would not work. It would only get the proxies location =]

Actually no. Once you have the client IP, you can get their geolocation - which, even if they are behind a proxy, you can use a method called STUN using WebRTC.

You can use a technique called STUN to get a users IP for those behind a proxy, as it runs totally client-side. WebRTC is implemented in Firefox and Chrome that allows requests to STUN servers to be made that will return the local and public IP address for the user. All it takes a little bit of Javascript.

What's interesting is that the STUN requests are made outside of the normal XMLHttpRequest procedure, so they're not available in the developer console - or blocked by plugins; such as AdBlockPlus.

Read more on STUN at wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STUN

Read more about getting an IP address behind a proxy: https://github.com/diafygi/webrtc-ips

Now you have their public IP address, you can store it, and do as [MENTION=68711]KyleMassacre[/MENTION] mentioned.

Although, a spammer can just reset their router/modem and get a new public IP address allocated to themselves - albeit this slows down the influx of multiple accounts being made in a short period of time to generate spam within your game.

If, however, you do this, and people play at internet cafe's, be prepared to see the negative side to blocking public non-static IP addresses.

In general, you shouldn't block non-static IP addresses as it will hurt your product. Instead you should think about the damage people can do (ie: spam your game), and build defences for those. Someone having multiple accounts on your site isn't a breaker.

TL;DR - Don't block multiple accounts on your site. Build defences to block those multiple accounts from abusing self-trades, self-attacks (boosting).

Shadow ban,

You don't need to ban them repeatedly as it will seem that the user is sending all the spam, though in reality he isn't.

That actually is a pretty good idea. Pretty much just add an extra column to tables such as messages, chat, and forum that way it can be filtered through and just make the stuff visible to the guy so he thinks everything is just gravy haha

That actually is a pretty good idea. Pretty much just add an extra column to tables such as messages, chat, and forum that way it can be filtered through and just make the stuff visible to the guy so he thinks everything is just gravy haha

Add a column to the users table for `shadowban` then just left join it where shadowban = 1 and username != current-user or something, that way the user can still see his stuff but others can't.

That is a great idea.. Can't believe I didnt think of that. LoL's.. Especially since I do something like that on some sites..