MakeWebGames

Coffee Pour Game

W3Theory || Peter

Hello Everyone!

I hope you are doing well. It's been a while since I really posted on this site. Well, since the sale of Year1920 (due to a various of reasons) and finally settling into my new job & city, I have picked up a new project. After experimenting with a variation of online text-based games, I decided to take a stab at APP games. I am currently putting together a puzzle style game, well trying to at least. All the graphics for the game will be done at the end of the week. I am in the process of looking for application developers for Facebook/iOS/Android (mostly on oDesk) and just searching around on who can help me finish this project up. I just figured I would give an update on my current projects.

The game is about taking a low-end job and moving your way all the way up the ladder to CEO. The trick is that, like any day job, you start to lose your energy around the 2:30-3pm marker and need your coffee to stay awake, or you will get fired! Well, I got this idea when at work and just noticed around and how a lot of people would experience this and figured it would be a fun idea to make into a game. The game is set to release in a max of 3 months, if everything goes right.

If you might be interest to know more or talk, you can always add me on Skype at pleaman05.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CoffeePourGame

Regards,

Pete

Great idea!

Question: Is this game going to be made in JS/jQuery?

I am in the process of looking for application developers for Facebook/iOS/Android (mostly on oDesk)

Sounds like he's looking to build a native app.

Certainly sounds like an interesting project. How are you planning the game play to be?

Well I was going to suggest using using PhoneGap that way you'll be able to make it exactly how you want with languages you are familiar with and your CSS skills will help loads too as you are very experienced with design. Some things about PhoneGap are explained here. Obviously it's not hard to find some more in-depth articles about it but just a little something I tried when making applications that was very neat. I daresay you will find some very helpful documents & tutorials online but give me a shout if you need any help.

Edited by Script47

to be honest don't use PhoneGap you might aswell just use a browser frame PhoneGap is rubbish, just make fully native app in Java i make them all the time or instead another option is android NDK and then you can use Objective C, C#, C++ then you can easily port over to iOS instead of converting the Java to a native code to make it run on iOS makes it alot easier in the long run and for the backend if you are using any databases like MySQL you could use JSON, PHP to connect the apps to as connecting direct into the database in the app is really insecure as you leave all of your database details on show.

to be honest don't use PhoneGap you might aswell just use a browser frame PhoneGap is rubbish, just make fully native app in Java i make them all the time or instead another option is android NDK and then you can use Objective C, C#, C++ then you can easily port over to iOS instead of converting the Java to a native code to make it run on iOS makes it alot easier in the long run and for the backend if you are using any databases like MySQL you could use JSON, PHP to connect the apps to as connecting direct into the database in the app is really insecure as you leave all of your database details on show.

What benefits does a native app give that phonegap doesn't? Got any examples of Native apps that you do "all the time"?

What benefits does a native app give that phonegap doesn't? Got any examples of Native apps that you do "all the time"?

The problem is that iOS devices require it to be a native app or it isn't accepted onto the market.

Why do you think so many gaves have android apps (Wrapper of CC around their websites), but they never get released on iOS?

In summary, Apple are control hungry, so allowing someone to upload a "frame" around a website means you can change and they can't monitor when etc.

With an app, you have to submit newer versions and all apps get tested for security stuff etc -- hence why they refuse them as they can now, but in a month, anything could be there (Adware, Mobile hacks etc).

Makes sense, really.

The problem is that iOS devices require it to be a native app or it isn't accepted onto the market.

Why do you think so many gaves have android apps (Wrapper of CC around their websites), but they never get released on iOS?

In summary, Apple are control hungry, so allowing someone to upload a "frame" around a website means you can change and they can't monitor when etc.

With an app, you have to submit newer versions and all apps get tested for security stuff etc -- hence why they refuse them as they can now, but in a month, anything could be there (Adware, Mobile hacks etc).

Makes sense, really.

Not entirely correct... Apple to allow web views, sure they are strict on what they actually allow in terms of that, but it is possible to get it on there. Take a look at DT Mafia or Battlecry, they run off web views. If you look into it with iFunBox or something. Same with the web version, android and iOS version.

With PG you compile it in the cloud then submit it to the stores

Q: I heard that Apple rejects apps made with third-party tools, is that true? Will Apple reject my PhoneGap app?

A: Apple always has the final say, but as of version 0.8, PhoneGap apps are okay. Apple has done a technical review and PhoneGap apps do not violate the Terms & Conditions of the App Store. PhoneGap aside, each app will be judged on its own merits.

Ref: http://phonegap.com/about/faq/

You can still put a app on the market using PhoneGap, they provide a service, I've tried using it for Android and I actually put it on a phone, just not released it on the market. It was really good, personally I would suggest using PhoneGap as it means you don't have to learn another language and it's very simple.

You can still put a app on the market using PhoneGap, they provide a service, I've tried using it for Android and I actually put it on a phone, just not released it on the market. It was really good, personally I would suggest using PhoneGap as it means you don't have to learn another language and it's very simple.

off topic here can phonegap work with windows phone

On topic w3 I like the idea and looking forward to play it on my phone

Sent from Nokia lumia 510

• 4 months later...

A little update on the game. We plan on releasing in the month of July. We should be finishing the game for Facebook and iOS products in the next week, while bug testing and adding anything extra the following weeks. Due to my eagerness(ADHD) and the soon to be release of this game, I have already started on two more projects 'Move it or Lose it' and 'Cursed Islands'. All different style games, taking something that is already been done and just giving it a new feel. Cursed Island is based around a Pac Man style game play, while 'Move it or Lose it' is being built around a Tetris style game. Move it or Lose it is in just design mode, while Cursed Island is already being developed on the Android Platform.

You can follow us as we start to promote the page and run competitions. I was able to grab an investor in which opened up the doors to allow further development and the ability to actually have a marketing budget. By joining the Facebook page and taking part in the events, you can easily win gift cards to Starbucks. We will be starting these competitions next week to start boosting the page.

I don't want to promote Coffee Pour as a completely unique game, as it's not. It's the first project for mobile apps and just wanted to put together something that I felt comfortable and could be fun to play with.

Will be keeping people more informed as the day gets closer to release. Definitely exciting to adventure into something different and new. So, we shall see how it pans out.

Thanks! Well, I am just hoping that I learn from any mistakes and keep improving on each game. I got about 6 games in total, including the three being built on, that I have an idea for (Mr. Pennyworth, Chubby Knight, and Eagle Guardians are the other three) and all are different. So, just keep learning and improving on each one is my goal.

For anyone that hasn't done it yet, come and like our Facebook page @ https://www.facebook.com/CoffeePourGame

We have just released our first competition which is just a simple like and share one of our posts, with a winner being selected on Thursday and rewarded with a $5 Gift card to Starbucks. We will be hosting about 10 competitions in the next 1-2 weeks as we gear up for the soft release of our game!

Regards,

Pete

Edited by W3Theory || Peter