MakeWebGames

Get More Active Players!

sniko

Introduction
It's a horror, working on your game (or product) for
x
timeframe, and not seeing it come to its full potential. Perhaps you've succumb to setting a referral competition (although, I guess they are
fun...
*sigh* ) and inadvertently ruining your game economy, and then making it ever harder for yourself to get your game back on its feet with damaged game mechanics.

With this (untested (by myself at the time of writing), but surely "to work" theory), you will be able to fetch those players that have most interest in your product, and even profit from it! (Although, an initial investment of time (and possibly financial investment (depending on your skill level and assets) is required for this to work (like anything else in life))).

The concept
The concept is pretty straight forward - I'm actually surprised that I've not come across this myself in browser games.

[highlight]
Reward your players for "marketing" for you. Not a one off reward (like the competition idea I talked about earlier), but a bunch of rewards (ranging in higher value as their progression of "marketing" for you enhances.[/highlight]

* I use the term "marketing" loosely. I simply mean the process of 'word of mouth', advertising your product.

Simple,
right
?

Putting it into practice
By now, lets assume you have a game running, with a populated database of assets (items, stats, etc...) and you want to harness what's been said in this, effectively - without inadvertently giving your users game changing items early in the game, and effectively, breaking your own creation.

Using spreadsheet software (Google Docs, Microsoft -
whatever
), insert your asset data (items, stats) and evaluate their values to ensure what you're willing to give up in return of free marketing, ensuring they're not game changing and damaging - it would be safe to assume that collectible items (with not much real value, apart from bragging rights) would be sufficient here;
however, it's up to you to decide

Once you have acquired a list of rewards to give out, it's time to evaluate when, and how you will distribute them. Here's some visual aid I've put together;
attachment.php?attachmentid=1006&stc=1&d=1371666841

It's pretty self explanatory, however, I'll makes a few notes;
  • Conditions

• It's your game, you can set them as you wish

• Perhaps they need to be a certain rank/level before they can sign up to this program

• Perhaps there are no conditions at all

[*]Points
    • Mustn't be confused with the point currency on popular games - they're referral points to spend on items you decided on earlier

• Not trade-able (otherwise, what is the point?)

[*]Stacked Rewards;
    An example...
    • 1 referral point = +10 strength

• 3 referral points = +10 agility

• 5 referral points = +10 defense

• 10 referral points = 1 x
      insert common item here

• 15 referral points = 1 x
      insert medium rarity item here

• 20 referral points = 1 x
      insert rare item here

[*]With this type of reward system, it pyramids up (not a
    , but something like this (minus the money labels);
    mlm-multi-level-marketing.jpg

This process is 100% theory, and I've not put it into practice, yet (I'm hoping to later this year). However, giving little incentives to people are big game changers when it comes to spreading the word of your products (especially online!).

Closing statement
I hope some of you harness this wonderful theory, and put it into practice, and make your games grow! (Of course there are other ways, this was just one example.)

image.php?u=65371&dateline=1371667751

get_more_players.thumb.png.c7331588a8ce7ea5301d7834d85b67d1.png

Edited by sniko
  • Like 1

Really nice article! It seems like marketing is commonly overlooked on these boards.

This ties in really nicely with the social boom, if you want your game to be successful promote social interaction, get players involved with one another! This also opens it up to them inviting their friends because they know they can get something more from having them play. Such as stating you need 4 members to be involved in this particular crime etc.

Really nice article! It seems like marketing is commonly overlooked on these boards.

This ties in really nicely with the social boom, if you want your game to be successful promote social interaction, get players involved with one another! This also opens it up to them inviting their friends because they know they can get something more from having them play. Such as stating you need 4 members to be involved in this particular crime etc.

Oh yes, definitely! Social sharing (Twitter, and Facebook (mainly)) are overlooked on most aspects of games, especially to mark and share progress. For example, I level up to level 10; why isn't there a share/tweet button to boast to my friends?

Harnessing the power of "today's technology" is actually pretty simple, considering they all (the major sites, anyway) provide a simple API to get started, and will boost your sites user base by a considerable amount.

Oh yes, definitely! Social sharing (Twitter, and Facebook (mainly)) are overlooked on most aspects of games, especially to mark and share progress. For example, I level up to level 10; why isn't there a share/tweet button to boast to my friends?

Harnessing the power of "today's technology" is actually pretty simple, considering they all (the major sites, anyway) provide a simple API to get started, and will boost your sites user base by a considerable amount.

Indeed! Looking at the big Facebook games such as Farmville they hammer you everything you upgrade to share it with your friends. Get's annoying but it's effective.

They also seem to like giving you free things to share with friends.

I'm planning on integrating these features directly into the core of the little project me and Ian are working on.

Mdshare took that view; Facebook spam = good advertising... and it really does. You have to have an off button for those who don't want to post every 5 minutes, but having 1 player post "hey I achieved level 10" can show 100 people your website.

Good thread. :)

• 4 weeks later...

My friend plays Ogame, he tells me that if he invites players, he gets premium whenever they buy premium(like 5% of what his friends bought) and so he actually encourages his friends to pay...

There are many things one can do to boost game visibility, make a mobile version of it, or at least make an app that is no more than a browser that opens your game on the phone(which is 3 lines of code to make) at least your name shows up on the mobile market and you increase your visibility...