MakeWebGames

Urgh. VGA no signal

sniko

Before I begin, I thank Illusions for the time he spent with me yesterday, helping me

I picked up my gaming PC from my brother 2 days ago, attached it to the mains, and the monitor, and I get a "no signal" message on the monitor.

I then remove the casing, and reset the BIOS, no avail.

I then reseat the RAM, no avail.

I then buy more RAM, reseat that, no avail.

Any suggestions?

I thank you all for your time,

Me.

Further testing;

- peripherals (monitor, mouse, keyboard) are not responding

Visual help

- doing a-level computing for 2 years, you'd think we would have covered this. :@

INB4; first time looking at the guts of a computer.

As much as you tell us, it could be basically everything:

- Faulty power suply

- Faulty CPU

- Faulty RAM

- Faulty motherboard

- Faulty graphic card

- Faulty disks (could... but would be odd)

I would personally try to remove nearly all, so keep as little memory possible, no disks, and possibly use either another graphic card or the on board graphic card (but at least not use what you are currently using).

Test each stick of ram at a time.

Did you try without the graphics card installed?

Do you get any beep from the motherboard on powerup.

Can you hear anything happening ie sound of the hard drive ticking over?

Tested each stick of RAM at a time, no avail.

Without graphics card installed, no avail

Beep from motherboard occurred with old RAM

When I boot up, everything sounds normal, as it should. Just the display doesn't work

It could be something real simple like a dodgy vga lead. You dont have any other leads available?

If your getting a beep with the ram , hd and cpu installed and can then hear the drive whirring into action then your system is booting.

Test a single stick of ram in a different ram slot making sure that it is pressed in correctly.

It could be something real simple like a dodgy vga lead. You dont have any other leads available?

If your getting a beep with the ram , hd and cpu installed and can then hear the drive whirring into action then your system is booting.

Test a single stick of ram in a different ram slot making sure that it is pressed in correctly.

I've used 2 VGAs, still won't work :/

I'm not getting any beeping, either

I'll move the ram to another slot now, thanks!

Sniko remove the hardrive cable leads the power and the connector this is just for a test if the monitor receives a signal without the HD plugged in we can start to narrow things down a bit

remember your PC dont need the HD plugged in for monitor to work its just used for when it boots up and startes your OS

Sniko remove the hardrive cable leads the power and the connector this is just for a test if the monitor receives a signal without the HD plugged in we can start to narrow things down a bit

remember your PC dont need the HD plugged in for monitor to work its just used for when it boots up and startes your OS

Icky. No signal, still!

Either the motherboard isn't getting enough power, or the VGA chip is kaput.

I'd try switching the PSU, as it's the number one most troublesome part.

Try checking all the cables to the motherboard as well, there should be two or three for your atx board.

Goodbye ol' friend, you will be missed.

With this, and the other suggestions, I've concluded that the motherboard has tragically died.

Time of Death: 8th November 2012, 1743.

I shall inspect the motherboard straight away! Many thanks!

Before you assume it's the mother board. If you have a laptop that power's on. Try your screen on it. If screen work's. Then you can start the following:

If CPU, RAM OR HDD are at fault, you would hear your motherboard go crazy. Yes, that little beep you hear when you first turn it on, or restart, will stay active the hole time if one of those 3 are at fault.

Do this:

- Pull out ram

- Unplug HDD

- Unplug CD ROM (And anything else that might be sitting there)

- Pull out GFX Card if it is installed.

What you want to be running is just the monitor, motherboard & psu. Because the ram is not installed, you will hear the continuous BEEP i mentioned earlier. This is a good sign.

Now we follow by putting back the HDD & Ram. Start it up and see if you get to the bootup screen. No Bootup Screen? Follow LINK. You see bootup screen? Either GFX Card or ROM is faulty. Test either by plugging them in and see if you can then start it up.

Chances that it's your VGA cable are most probably the cause. Ask a mate to borrow you one, or go buy one. Those kettle cords are so cheap! Max it will cost you is 20 pounds.

Before you assume it's the mother board. If you have a laptop that power's on. Try your screen on it. If screen work's. Then you can start the following:

If CPU, RAM OR HDD are at fault, you would hear your motherboard go crazy. Yes, that little beep you hear when you first turn it on, or restart, will stay active the hole time if one of those 3 are at fault.

Do this:

- Pull out ram

- Unplug HDD

- Unplug CD ROM (And anything else that might be sitting there)

- Pull out GFX Card if it is installed.

What you want to be running is just the monitor, motherboard & psu. Because the ram is not installed, you will hear the continuous BEEP i mentioned earlier. This is a good sign.

Now we follow by putting back the HDD & Ram. Start it up and see if you get to the bootup screen. No Bootup Screen? Follow LINK. You see bootup screen? Either GFX Card or ROM is faulty. Test either by plugging them in and see if you can then start it up.

Chances that it's your VGA cable are most probably the cause. Ask a mate to borrow you one, or go buy one. Those kettle cords are so cheap! Max it will cost you is 20 pounds.

Alright, thanks!

Thanks for your time also, to respond to this