MakeWebGames

Dreamweaver MX?

I use dreamweaver cs4.

I like it because it auto tabbing/spacing, function hinting, and syntax highlighting. It has error detection when editing javascript but not php. :(

I like the auto tabbing/spacing but it doesn't work 100% right. Like if I add a comment in my code which contains any of these characters ) or ( or { or } it will screw up the auto tabbing.

So I am looking for a better IDE. Haven't done much searching so if anyone could recommend one that is similar I would appreciate it.

I've never had to select a code tab. What is this code tab. What would a real ide have instead of this code tab. Click a table button to see how it looks on your server? I kind of don't get that statement. But are you saying a real ide would have php built in so you could see how your server would output it?

IDE=Integrated Development Environment

Things an IDE may have:

Packaged as application program - CHECK

Typically consisting of code editor - CHECK

A debugger - CHECK (For some languages. CS5 may have all or more)

A graphical user interface - CHECK

A compiler - CHECK (For some languages.)

Standalone app or part of one or more existing and compatible apps - CHECK

You still didn't say the difference between dreamweaver and an ide. I've never had to use any code tab. By definition I would say that dreamweaver is an ide unless you can tell me otherwise. Now lets leave it at that.

A graphical user interface - CHECK

A compiler - CHECK (For some languages.)

Standalone app or part of one or more existing and compatible apps - CHECK

A GUI, Doesnt everything have one?

A compiler, what does dreamweaver compile?

Apps? I think not.

Dreamweavers for n00bs who think they can code, its not actually sold as an IDE, its sold as a WYSISYG, hence why n00bs use it.

I guess Microsoft Studio.net Series isn't a IDE either when playing with the code since you have you switch between visual mode and code mode.... ;\

Who really uses the visual mods though? Its sold as an IDE, and its called Visual studio ;)