MakeWebGames

Dreamweaver MX?

Dreamweaver isnt an IDE.

Its a "What you see is what you get" editor.

IDE = Integrated Development Environment.

I can write code. It has code coloring and completion. I can quickly preview. I can manage a whole project. I can commit/checkout from SVN, and with CTRL+S I can upload all my changes to the server at once. For me, that's an IDE.

Debates like this rage on for ages with each person feeling their way is best. At the end of the day, use whichever tools you feel most comfortable with, because making a site that's worth a damn is what matters in the end.

Dreamweavers for n00bs who think they can code, its not actually sold as an IDE, its sold as a WYSISYG, hence why n00bs use it.

Wow, pretty arrogant. Let's see the cool stuff you've done with your uber tools. You're clearly not a n00b or anything.

Noob... Lol only a mature person would call someone a noob kid. Your obviously mature.

Besides what can you code up in your ide that you couldn't code up in dreamweaver?

Dreamweavers for n00bs who think they can code, its not actually sold as an IDE, its sold as a WYSISYG, hence why n00bs use it.

So your saying that you can outcode anyone that uses dreamweaver? I doubt it. I think your just trying to say I suck at coding. You have never seen me code (lately) so you wouldn't know. So that statement is null and void.

Edited by bluegman991

IDE = Integrated Development Environment.

I can write code. It has code coloring and completion. I can quickly preview. I can manage a whole project. I can commit/checkout from SVN, and with CTRL+S I can upload all my changes to the server at once. For me, that's an IDE.

Dreamweaver FTW!!

Dreamweaver just has some features that are really handy and some people just don't know how to use them.

As for danny saying only n00bs use dreamweaver.... We'll let that speak for itself.

Noob... Lol only a mature person would call someone a noob kid. Your obviously mature.

Besides what can you code up in your ide that you couldn't code up in dreamweaver?

So your saying that you can outcode anyone that uses dreamweaver? I doubt it. I think your just trying to say I suck at coding. You have never seen me code (lately) so you wouldn't know. So that statement is null and void.

I'd say you sucked at coding if thats what I wanted to say, I dislike dreamweaver, as n00bs use it. Thats all.

Are you sure it's because noobs use it? I doubt you dislike a program just because of the people that use it. There's not to many people out there that would pay over $100 to do something the barely know how to do. I think theres another reason why you dislike dreamweaver. The free programs may just be better to you. Which is ok in my books. ;)

So to sum it up... You think dreamweaver is not an ide.

You think dreamweaver is not an ide because you dislike it.

You dislike it because noobs use it.

You dislike the noobs because some of them can code better than you.

Makes total since to me.

Edited by bluegman991
  • Like 2

Are you sure it's because noobs use it? I doubt you dislike a program just because of the people that use it. There's not to many people out there that would pay over $100 to do something the barely know how to do. I think theres another reason why you dislike dreamweaver. The free programs may just be better to you. Which is ok in my books. ;)

So to sum it up... You think dreamweaver is not an ide.

You think dreamweaver is not an ide because you dislike it.

You dislike it because noobs use it.

You dislike the noobs because some of them can code better than you.

Makes total since to me.

Some times free things are better ;) If I wanted dreamweaver, I would get it, but I dont.

To sum it up, you got it pritty much correct :P

• Like 1

When dreamweaver stops placing in lots of useless crap into code then sure it will be worth using. Which it does in a lot of instances as its sold as a wysiwyg.

And lets face it most of you use it as its so widely distributed without the need to buy it :P

I prefer ActiveState Komodo.

I have not used any of the up to date versions of dreamweaver, but I did use 8 (I think it was 8), and it's not like that has a "WYSIWYG" for php. using it only negates the need to know some HTML such as tables, and most people don't even use that aspect of dreamweaver... I never did. Saying it's for noobs for this ability is a strange idea.

I like dreamweaver because I can do all my web programming in one program. For PHP and JS it has function hinting (reminding me what order to insert variables into arrays). And it has auto complete for css and html. Making things go by a bit quicker. It also can switch between files easily. I have yet to find a program that can do this but like I said i have not done much searching and am open for suggestions. And yea i'd rather not use the wysiwyg for html when I have to check for cross-browser compatibility anyway.

I like dreamweaver because I can do all my web programming in one program. For PHP and JS it has function hinting (reminding me what order to insert variables into arrays). And it has auto complete for css and html. Making things go by a bit quicker. It also can switch between files easily. I have yet to find a program that can do this but like I said i have not done much searching and am open for suggestions. And yea i'd rather not use the wysiwyg for html when I have to check for cross-browser compatibility anyway.

Komodo does exacally that.

And the HTML that dreamweaver produces is depreciated, and old.

Again in whe editing html in dreamweaver I only use auto complete. Example: I Type "<blockquote></". Dreamweaver auto completes it making it "<blockquote></blockquote>". It can come in handy. Especially because I hate repeat myself 100's of times. Anyway I am going to try out komodo. Reason why I'm looking for a new program is because I know dreamweaver is a bit heavy for what I do and because I have recently done a factory reset on my computer and don't want to fill it up with things I don't efficiently use. (like last time)

Again in whe editing html in dreamweaver I only use auto complete. Example: I Type "<blockquote></". Dreamweaver auto completes it making it "<blockquote></blockquote>". It can come in handy. Especially because I hate repeat myself 100's of times. Anyway I am going to try out komodo. Reason why I'm looking for a new program is because I know dreamweaver is a bit heavy for what I do and because I have recently done a factory reset on my computer and don't want to fill it up with things I don't efficiently use. (like last time)

Komodo shows it you in a little box, so you can either press enter to complete it, or type it normally. Dreamweaver is more problems for me, when I'm typing something, it completes it, while I'm still f'ing typing.

Dreamweaver is more problems for me, when I'm typing something, it completes it, while I'm still f'ing typing.

Which I personally like. It's one step ahead of me so I can just hit "enter" or "space" and move on to the next bit of code I'm typing (cs5.5 does it with quotes now too). As for the HTML being generated being deprecated and old -- well, duh, if you use it as a WYSIWYG then you'll obviously get weird, machine-generated code. "REAL" coders don't do that... right?!?!

Really, you should have just stated you preferred komodo over DW instead of your "n00bs" statements. This is a matter of preference, not skill level.

Have tried both komodo and netbeans now. I must say both of their auto tabbing/complete is better than dreamweaver. However I would not use komodo over dreamweaver because the syntax highlighting is not good enough. And good syntax highlighting is a must for me. Now netbeans is way better than the both of them. It just has so much more to offer. So much that im not even going to say what it has that the other 2 don't. Im just gonna say the 3 things I don't like about it.

You have to open a new project to create new file that's not associated with the old project. You could easily just open a project called misc or something so it's not that big of a deal really. Although it has come in handy for organizing the actual projects I am working on.

The startup time and the time it takes for function assist to load functions in the scope from included files. Doesn't really matter since I created the function and know how to use it. Plus could be due to my crappy 1.9 ghz processor.

Last but definitely not least. This is the thing that I dislike the most about netbeans. Well auto complete tabbing uses 4 spaces instead of 1 tab which means 4x more space is being used. I probably will just make a php function to loop through all the files in the directory and replace 4 spaces with 1 tab.

Have tried both komodo and netbeans now. I must say both of their auto tabbing/complete is better than dreamweaver. However I would not use komodo over dreamweaver because the syntax highlighting is not good enough. And good syntax highlighting is a must for me. Now netbeans is way better than the both of them. It just has so much more to offer. So much that im not even going to say what it has that the other 2 don't. Im just gonna say the 3 things I don't like about it.

You have to open a new project to create new file that's not associated with the old project. You could easily just open a project called misc or something so it's not that big of a deal really. Although it has come in handy for organizing the actual projects I am working on.

The startup time and the time it takes for function assist to load functions in the scope from included files. Doesn't really matter since I created the function and know how to use it. Plus could be due to my crappy 1.9 ghz processor.

Last but definitely not least. This is the thing that I dislike the most about netbeans. Well auto complete tabbing uses 4 spaces instead of 1 tab which means 4x more space is being used. I probably will just make a php function to loop through all the files in the directory and replace 4 spaces with 1 tab.

You do know that you can customize both the syntax highlighter, and the way it has to tab (and read those tabs) in both komodo and netbeans? Standard it may be different than what you want, but just create a new profile, edit it to your needs, and done, problem solved! ;)

Didn't google a way to do it but I did search for a way through properties, settings and stuff and didn't see a way so didn't think there was a way. Syntax highlighting is the only reason i tried the next top used ide. And so i'm kind of glad i didn't know how to at that time otherwise i wouldn't have even tried netbeans. :p I'll look now for how to change these settings.

• 4 months later...