MakeWebGames

Everyone Read

runthis

As my recent poll may prove, there are more people here looking for work, than there are people looking to hire for work. So my suggestion is this.

Our great minds together can make a spectacular project and we have all the necessary tools, we have graphic designers, website hosters, programmers. It would be such a great story how we grouped together to make a flipping great game. I think a set bunch of us could all work together to make a great game.

Programmers, designers, content writers, what do you say! We gonna work together to make the best game this site has ever seen! or we gonna continue as usual, private and separated.

This could be one of the most brilliant ideas.

This could be simple as the main 3 or 4 people brainstorm the project and assign the entire group, specific parts of the game to create. Us main 3 or 4 will piece together what is created, man the whole community would chip in and most would probably play since it would be created by all of us!

Edited by runthis

Hmmm.

It would be good in theory, and i believe theory alone, only becuase;

- Existing dislike towards members from some members, how will you filter out who can join, who can't?

- Who will manage the project?

- Who will manage the participants?

- What will each participant stake hold be in the project?

- What if someone pulls out and wants their 'share' to the project?

- What if people do nothing?

- What if you let someone in, project get finished and they steal the source code?

- Access rights, who and what?

As you can see, a mountain of questions once put into practice

*The people who can join already know who they are

*The four top people, they already know who they are as well

*The four top people, they already know who they are as well

*Not decided by me, we would all decide

*We will decide before hand that pulling out early doesn't mean we delete your code

*Then they will not be a part of the project (this will not be a problem for the people selected)

*Will not be a problem with the people selected as only the 4 will see the project in its entirety, everyone else will just see what they coded (like commercial game creating)

*Your reaching on this last point

All of your problems are problems in every commercial game project but people seem to release games everyday, im sure it will be fine.

Lazy people will not have a part in the project and stealing any source would only be what you contributed, would be pointless :/

If you have to ask who will be one of the 3 or 4 main leaders, you arent one of them, the ones who dont have to ask know i am referring to them

If you have to ask who will be one of the 3 or 4 main leaders, you arent one of them, the ones who dont have to ask know i am referring to them

This maybe true, however people are not going to contribute for those who are not even willing to make themselves known. All you have said is "lets work together on something"... Ok, but what? Something open source like Zap engine was an attempt at? An online game as this suggests -

This could be simple as the main 3 or 4 people brainstorm the project and assign the entire group, specific parts of the game to create. Us main 3 or 4 will piece together what is created, man the whole community would chip in and most would probably play since it would be created by all of us!

Why would I spend time on something that gains me nothing, but others gain profit out of? I may as well spend the time producing mods for already used engines. At least the source would be something to show potential clients. We at least need an idea of the project...

I dont know :(

.... to create something great with a team of likeminded individuals spanning multiple talents ...

if nobody took chances nothing would get done.

edit: the project could be any kind of game.

Edited by runthis

You're saying "game", but I ask you; Why would anyone put time into developing a game they get nothing out of? That is what it seems you're asking people to do... Unless I am misunderstanding, and you mean the will release the source rather then run it as a site?

... to create something great with a team of likeminded individuals spanning multiple talents ...

I guess your either saying one of the following, working in a group is bad, working in this group is bad, working in a group with me is bad, working in a group with people from here are bad, you want more details but are being facetious, think its a terrible idea and want me to know that,bored,not enough plans to support it.

Hey, really it can only be so many reasons why you disagree and those are a few, its just an idea bud, instead of trying to discover what holes you can poke in it, why not offer a suggestion to all of those little questions you have by saying (this would be bad, but to solve it could be this). Hole Poker xD

When have i ever posted on a thread here saying (this is bad for this reason) i usually say (you could improve it this way) or both, but never the first, cmon bro, i love you

Edited by runthis

Hey,

I had a similar Idea a while back...the idea was for a game created by the community...

I even bought the domain yourrpg.com but i never really brought the idea to light...

There are many holes to the idea but I do think its something that could be possible.

The management of the files would need to be thoroughly planned out.

You have those that want to help others, then you have those that enjoy messing up someones work...

all in all its not a bad idea but most likely nothing will come of it....

one main reason would be if its a group project, how will funds gained be distributed to contributors ? Many people would not put much effort at all into something that brings then no gain.

if a small group got together...now that is a different story....

I am busy with my own work and clientele, so there would be no point in me joining. Good luck, though seen this a couple of times in the life of the forum and nothing special was done.

I have no idea what you are on runthis, as your post is just going everywhere without a real direct understanding. Who are the four main people? Are they trusted? Or are they part of the group that you made a thread about? I honestly don't see it going far or ,if it does, lead to anything spectacular. It would be a waste for a lot of web established developers and their time, just to see it go to waste like most of time one of these posts are made.

IMO there are too much complications of doing something like this over the web, there is just too much going on. When you start earning money that is when it gets difficult! BUT what you could do is have an open source projet and just have every one contribute a bit to it.

There are loads of possabilities ie:

- Forum Software

- CMS

- A Game engine

- Various Web apps

- Blog system

- and so much more

What if you let someone in, project get finished and they steal the source code?
Will not be a problem with the people selected as only the 4 will see the project in its entirety, everyone else will just see what they coded

Seems to me you are erecting barriers before the project even has a chance.

Taking a different tack however; it is not difficult to develop a small fast stable framework with enough features to allow for expansion and present it as an open-source project on any of the many sites available for this purpose; SourceForge, Savannah, GitHub, Fossil repo's or even direct svn/cvs access, etc. are all perfectly suited.

Collaboration via push/pull requests, everybody communicating over open channels, it soon becomes apparent that everybody no matter their skill or lack of can, have a chance at contributing at least something to the project. Graphics artists and content writers can fork the main project, to test out their ideas, and make requests for alterations to the main code if they are not up to the task; and eventually push the working set back to the master.

Benefits?

Anybody can fork the project to either experiment on their own, or contribute new ideas

Everybody has a chance to contribute no matter what level of skill

The entire codebase is open; so any glaring mistakes can be seen, and dealt with in a timely manner

Content (read storyline here) and graphics can be developed in much smaller groups without interfering with the main framework

Testing can be performed on each and every stage consistently.

Documentation for the entire framework becomes a lot simpler with all the code open to everybody.

People have the ability to learn from the more skilled members, and those skilled people have a chance to mentor others.

Downsides?

Its a good idea in theory and a bad idea in practice.

Go search for how many times this idea has been suggested and look at how many times it has actually worked.

The only real way for you to get this done is to pay a team to work on your most amazing game ever or do it yourself.

Wow, something unique finally hit the forums. Lol, jokes, this has been suggested many many times before, either noones been interested in, or its all n00bs interested, or its tried, and just failed.

Again, who are the four? Also, why the fuck would you use McCodes -.-

Okay, Lets say I joined, but had a problem with another member what then? What if I didnt like the template? What if I didnt like some of the features? What if my coding style was alot different than someone elses, the code then looks very very messy. If there were say 20 people on the project, would the profit be split 20 ways? They would all be admins right? Any game with more than 5 admins doesnt look good, even if its huge. What if someone wanted to leave, by rights they could take their part of the game with them, then what? If they wanted to leave would they get paid?