MakeWebGames

Mathemathical question..

Nickson

Mathemathical question..  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Mathemathical question..

• other, I shall post my answer

Well this is one is going around facebook now, but I want to see what the result of MWG.

You're welcome toe explain how you've come to your result, but you don't have too, I just want to see a widely used poll.

Question is, how much is " 6 / 2 ( 1 + 2) " ?

It's not that I do not know the answer, or anything, I'm just curious mainly. Apparently people learn simple things differently which could lead to confusion and well, just things going awfully wrong!

Its nine, look at your order of operations, brackets come before everything. (Order of operations = BODMAS)

I voted 9

Thank you for submitting your solution, we've hidden it so other people can't just copy

Edited by Nickson
for the greater good of Research

Its nine, look at your order of operations, brackets come before everything. (Order of operations = BODMAS)

Could be, I've also heared things of PEDMAS and something with *IDMAS, but I don't know what all of these terms mean, I've not learned such word to remember it, I just do it the natural way. I'm just curious to what people think. I don't need methods on how you did it unless you're giving the wrong answer ofcourse :P

Try a calculator. You’re all right () comes 1st, however you seem to be doing it wrong. I will explain if people really want me to, however lets wait a little longer.

Edited by Dominion
Being nice + got rid of bad joke.

is it not 1 you do 1+2 1st so that =3 then times that by 2 = 6 then 6/6 = 1 but folowing bodmas it can be 9 what people dont relise BODMAS can also be BOMDSA/BOMDSA/BODMSA people just remember BODMAS as its easier to pronounce

Edited by Dayo

is it not 1 you do 1+2 1st so that =3 then times that by 2 = 6 then 6/6 = 1 but folowing bodmas it can be 9 what people dont relise BODMAS can also be BOMDSA/BOMDSA/BODMSA people just remember BODMAS as its easier to pronounce

I'm not asking what it could be, or what you should follow. I'm just asking what YOU would answer without any help or whatsoever.

@Dominion. If you use a calculator where you can enter the whole equation in one block, you'll notice it being something different ;)

Oh and just so you all know, there is only one correct answer!

The D and M in the BODMAS/BOMDAS mnemonics are interchangeable because both mnemonics are correct. Multiplication and division are equal in precedence. In this equation, you'd need to do the brackets first, then you're left with 6 / 2 * 3.

Then you need to read the equation from left to right since the remaining operators are equal. The correct answer is 9.

There's a correct answer and everything else is the wrong answer. There is no 'but', or 'agree to disagree'. This is math, and math is not a debate, otherwise the laws of nature would not work. :P

Another way to understand the answer is to rewrite the division as a fraction, which essentially leaves 6 * (1/2) * 3, or 6 * 0.5 * 3. Then however you calculate this, it will always give 9 as the answer.

(You can also check this on google or wolfram alpha!)

http://i.imgur.com/t9Fv6.png

http://i.imgur.com/Gzyrz.png

Edited by Zeggy

answer is 9

6/2(1+2)

using order of operations

parentheses first!

1+2=3

_______

6/2(3)

Only Multiplication and division is left so now first come first serve starting with

6/2=3

3(3)=9

that is the order in which it must be done or you may or may not get the wrong answer

as for the calculator it is

1. a defect

2. outdated

or whoever produced it (casio) didnt take that into account the last rule of order of operations

first come first serve is a rule that a lot of people dont know or it was not taught to them because you can usually get the correct answer without using this last rule

Edited by bluegman991

As you said you do the () 1st that means this... (mainly for the people thinking "how is anyone getting 1")

6 / 2 ( 1 + 2 )

6/2(3) <-- () is still the 1st thing you should be doing.

6/(6)

An extra example is -

1+7(1*8) = 57

same logic -

1*8 = 8

7(8) = 56

56+1 = 57

Try a calculator, and NOT an online one!! (unless it's all you have...)

addition and subtraction are equal multiplication is above both

Edited by Dominion

As you said you do the () 1st that means this... (mainly for the people thinking "how is anyone getting 1")

6 / 2 ( 1 + 2 )

6/2(3) <-- () is still the 1st thing you should be doing.

6/(6)

Yes, you should do what's inside of the brackets first. since it's just a single 3 let, the brackets can be ignored as they have no other functionality. since division and multiplying are of the same level (thus equals of each other), you just work from right to left as you meet the terms

this means: 6 / 2 (3)

6 / 2 * 3

3 * 3

Yes, you should do what's inside of the brackets first. since it's just a single 3 let, the brackets can be ignored as they have no other functionality. since division and multiplying are of the same level (thus equals of each other), you just work from right to left as you meet the terms

this means: 6 / 2 (3)

6 / 2 * 3

3 * 3

That is the logic my calc followed never said i agree with it. I do however think this is not just linked to mine since others got 1 also. but btw that is how i would do it, 9 is just wrong T.T

Best sum up i have found is this -

eam 9: “THE ANSWER IS 9”

Those who argue that the answer is 9 follow standard order of operations:

6/2(1+2)

First you do whatever is in the parentheses which is (1+2):

6/2(3)

Next, you do multiplication and division in order from left to right, so you devide 6 by 2 and then multiply the result by 3. The parentheses are not needed as 2(3) only indicates 2x3:

3(3) = 9

Team 1: “THE ANSWER IS 1”

Those who argue that the answer is 1 follow order of operations, but accept that multiplication by juxtaposition indicates that the juxtaposed values must be multiplied together before processing other operations:

6/2(1+2)

First you do whatever is in the parentheses which is (1+2):

6/2(3)

Next you must do 2(3) because multiplying by just putting things next to each other (multiplication by juxtaposition), rather than using the "x" sign indicates that the juxtaposed values must be multiplied together before other operations.

6/6 = 1

As I have demonstrated here both answers can be argued for and the problem lies with what your view on “multiplication by juxtaposition” is:

Whether or not you believe 6/2(3) is different than 6/2x(3)

From what I’ve been able to find, there is no definitive answer or consensus on this matter (even different calculators will calculate them differently), Therefore it is up to the one writing the expression to clearly indicate what he means without any ambiguity by writing:

6/2x(1+2) or 6/(2(1+2))