MakeWebGames

VBulletin

Dave

You know, even though it was discussed privately between Nickson/Alain and MCCodes as well as the staff team, I do agree with Peter, this shouldn't have been just a staff/owner decision.

After all it's the same people that were attempting to get the whole community feel back again.

Don't get me wrong, I like WBB and I like VB and I'm sure we'll come to appreciate the hard work Nickson and Alain put into the move, just it may have been a little hasty.

I dont agree. You can put up poll after poll after poll discussing what should be done and let the community decide. Months later its still 50/50 and you have got nowhere.

Clearly WBB had issues and from what I have read this could have been from previous installations or it was just a mess. The result meant upgrading WBB was not possible which could have rectified the problems the site had but I know from previous experience that if there is issues then resolving them is a needle in a haystack job. Ripping out the guts and starting fresh is a much better option.

Its a community site yes. Is the community important yes. Are they in charge no. It simply would not work.

Well, I believe we discussed it with the community, I don't remember if we made a poll or not, I could check, however I doubt we would get any real answer. Even between staff members we didn't agree on the soft or what we should do (beside most of us did agree the old install wasn't ok anymore). What I can say is that hosting the old site was really difficult (CB had to move it from a dedi it was sharing with McCode and MWG to some other host, then migrate again to a special VPS just for it) and expensive. So having a solution for the soft was starting to be mandatory.

Now ANY change is always badly taken by some people, like the switch from XP to Vista or 7, or even color schemes changes. For those I cannot do much beside saying I'm open to any constructive critic and if I can tweak the settings for it I'm willing to do so. What I'm not willing to do is to edit VB code or to go back :rolleyes:

I dont agree. You can put up poll after poll after poll discussing what should be done and let the community decide. Months later its still 50/50 and you have got nowhere.

Clearly WBB had issues and from what I have read this could have been from previous installations or it was just a mess. The result meant upgrading WBB was not possible which could have rectified the problems the site had but I know from previous experience that if there is issues then resolving them is a needle in a haystack job. Ripping out the guts and starting fresh is a much better option.

Its a community site yes. Is the community important yes. Are they in charge no. It simply would not work.

That I understand, however a little heads up to the community should have happened, I'm sure we'll all learn to love VB and WBB really didn't work as Alain said, I will however stick to my original thought, it may have been a little hasty, after all one day the staff were notified of what it would look like via a sub-domain, the next it's in full motion on the main site.

Dj: well that has been requested like by CB saying "so when is the switch over?", also a lot of the work could not have been done until we made the final import. Finally, once purchased the new soft I would doubt any would agree to keep the old one unless the new one is really bad.

• Like 1

Nah, I'm not blaming you for that bertie, I only noticed it later as well as everything was just open for everyone. And I only noticed because dreamcoder made a post in a staff forum which isn't right. If he hadn't, who knows how long it would have been before we found out.